Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am Proud of Being a Conspiracy Theorist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Read the boards and forum charters. Look at what posts are actioned. That is moderation and is clearly what was meant by 'action' in the post.

No one has a notion what you are on about with this innuendo.

Not going to engage any further as you are discussing moderation on thread.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Lol trying to soften me up now with your kiddo and holding hands...so you're changed your tone the blink of an eye...

$hifty you ain't fooling me with your subtle charm and intriguing undertones lol I'm impressed though. I like that.

1. Before today, I had no interaction with you, that I know about. Correct.

2. The satellite remark wasn't aimed at you, though I did quote your post. It's for our friend Markus.

3. I've no idea what you're so hostile about. I've already told you that I wasn't speaking about or insulting you earlier. If you took me up wrong, fair enough, but this is the 2nd time I'm saying it. I have not been speaking personally about anyone in this thread, more about the CT brigade in general. Now you're jumping down my throat for no reason because you missed the words "before today" in my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

1: you said you had no contact with me. Not before today initially.

2: you did quote me, but grand. Quoting is kinda crap here, so cool.

3: hostile? Jumping down your throat? Reread your posts. I said nothing of the sort!

• Advertisement

I think it's ok to respond in kind to mockery yeah.

But the other side is maybe you're one of those people who by nature has to slag someone off and it's not personal. It's just your way with people. And people who know you are used to that and it runs off them like water off a ducks back. Im generally able for banter in the real world.

I think it's ok to mock a belief if it's harmful or insights racism or undermines people who are powerless over a situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only threads that ever get any actual two way discussion happening on this forum are the ones that devolve down to why conspiracy theorists don't like backing up their theories. It at least gets some answering of questions in both directions, regardless of if the answers make any sense to either side.

It is a step up from "discussions" in the threads about actual conspiracy theories which is just vague inuenndo of something bad, followed by them being asked more detail about the theory at which point the theorist runs away in a huff.

Can we not have some actual engagement from conspiracy theorists in their CT threads please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You are the worst kind of poster in the conspiracy forum. You know exactly what is going on and you continually chime in to throw petrol on the problem.

We all know that the conspiracy forum was one of the most interesting sections of boards until the charter was changed to remove a rule that would forbid posters from pestering people for evidence.

As soon as this was removed the place flooded with your ilk and now the forum is dead as a result.

I'm amazed to this day why the admins allowed such a change that damaged what was a good source of internet traffic for the site...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, the world has changed significantly over the past decade with the rise of social media, antivaxxers, spacefakers, holocaust deniers, flat earthers were niche (flat earth in particular was a thought exercise as no educated society ever thought it), but these days its used for grifitng, inciting attacks or to excuse dangerous actions or absolve people of responsibility (hurry hurr, its trolling or a joke, even when people die, even when some posters will push insane narratives to further the goal of a despot).

The CT forum mostly acts as a container for this, but there's no getting away that some of the theories (and space fakery is one of the more benign ones even if a bit silly) are inciting hatred or actions that hurt (e.g. spreading lies about vaccines and pregnancy).

And there's nothing stopping someone posting their real beliefs about conspiracies as long as its not going to cause harm, outlining a plot about a secret cabaal using vaccines to control the world can be discussed and the methods they'd use, or how one would go about faking space or proving we're all in a matrix (can't be proven otherwise that I know of) or how an old man in WEF will take your house.

If that's what you believe say so, but be prepared to think critically and acknowledge where there are gaps (e.g. the 5g in the vaccine hasn't been activated yet hence it can't be detected).

There are also lots of conspiracies (what is trump doing with the nft money?) that aren't being pushed by far right grifters and racists that can be discussed as well.

(It's also depressing when the theorist starts moving towards racism or holocaust denial to explain, or just flat out fails to read graphs and numbers properly but doubles down on them anyway)

All of this is simply your opinion. And an opinion shared by a very small minority (10 or so) that have taken it upon themselves, with purpose and intent, to run the forum into the ground.

When the charter was updated by one mod with zero consultation with admins, other mods, users - it shifted the balance in your favor as you, and all the others, would have been banned otherwise.

The thread created a year or two ago that sought to restore the charter occurred during the infamous site upgrade, so the admins had bigger things to worry about. Might be worth another try now that the site could do with more traffic..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

In your mind the word "most" is whats troubling you out of all that you said? ...

Bigger shovel?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

You are trying to direct the forum?

Telling people what they should post about ...What they should be talking about??

As @Markus Antonius said, The change to this forum has destroyed it...

The Gatekeepers are running it into the ground....

Maybe spend more time writing about conspiring and less worried about moderation, as long as you're leaving off the right (and sometimes left but a lot less often) wing misinformation and being polite, you can pretty much post what you want.

4chan is always there for that other stuff.

And again, this is my opinion, mods can moderate as they want.

What and who is stopping you from outlining your beliefs and showing what you think is evidence for the beliefs about space fakery or continuing discussion there?

If the charter changed, how would you see that thread going? What would you post on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But. his conspiracy theory about moderation is, somehow, kind of special. Conspiracy theorists asserting, without proof, there's a conspiracy by the mods...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do you still want your fiction writing safe space?

I believe that already exists here

creating a conspiracy theory in regards to the moderation of this forum is exactly the type of intellectual bullsh1t that you guys would love to be able to do freely without consequence

Funny though that targeting your overseers is generally the worst way to go about it , but hey stupidity is generally par for the course here

Another follower with a potty mouth....

Arent yee great...

I cant understand how the posters in here are so triggered by people with an interest in CT's ?

foaming at the keyboard whilst typing about mocking stupid cnuts , with their knuckles dragging along the ground ......

Its a bit pathetic really that adults (?) get so upset because 'they wont answer questions and/or produce facts' ....

It will be fun again when they give up their hounding of people interested in theories/ different angles.

• Advertisement

They get really contrary, some of them anyway. There's a few who are moderate. But a lot of them are very conservative with their attitudes.

Have you noticed how some start to get pissy because you haven't answered their question. They are looking for an answer that'll validate their reasoning. Even if you answer the question they'll tell you a question rather than ask a question.

I get a good laugh out of it sometimes, because some of them like @Dohnjoe he actually thinks he's a virtual door man and has a big daddy attitude. He thinks that the off the wall conspiracies here are going to influence people outside board's and could be potentially dangerous. And he's some kind of saviour. For the record most people don't usually take conspiracy theories seriously, nor are they compelled to post here. They see the word conspiracy and they move along. They're more interested anything but a conspiracy.

I don't get involved in the space stuff, flat earth, 5G chips etc , 911, WEF and all that stuff. But a few people put me into that bracket. Antivaxxer is another one we're called. Ask a question and you're an antivaxxer.

You're frowned upon if you're on the fence too, and even if you admit you could be wrong and see their point they'll still throw in a dig along with their response.

This is a conspiracy theory forum, it's about a discussion of potential conspiracies, what could potentially happen, potentially happened or happening in the present moment.

It's all about potential or but what if. In a way it's creative thinking or an alternative view point.

You wouldn't have religious people pontificating in the atheism forum and get away with it, nor would a religious forum put up with people coming in and mocking their faith.

Thats it.

Summed up perfectly.

"I don't get involved in the space stuff, flat earth, 5G chips etc , 911, WEF and all that stuff. But a few people put me into that bracket. Antivaxxer is another one we're called. Ask a question and you're an antivaxxer.

You're frowned upon if you're on the fence too, and even if you admit you could be wrong and see their point they'll still throw in a dig along with their response.

This is a conspiracy theory forum, it's about a discussion of potential conspiracies, what could potentially happen, potentially happened or happening in the present moment.

It's all about potential or but what if. In a way it's creative thinking or an alternative view point."

Well said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You wouldn't have religious people pontificating in the atheism forum and get away with it, nor would a religious forum put up with people coming in and mocking their faith.

You definitely would get cross over in discussion between atheists and theists with each explaining what it is they believe and the why and how.

Theists have centuries of stories and myth to back up their claims, I might not belive in it but at least they are able to explain what they belive and also explain the majority of the why they believe it. Can get far more sense out of religious beliefs than you can from conspiracy theories.

Conspiracies aren't a religion though, the theories themselves try to be built on facts and evidence, so it doesn't work to compare the two (and there is the creative writing forum for fantasies/new religions). If a poster calls out that they are beliefs and acknowledge they don't have evidence that is perfectly allowed as well, very few will question them about it but they also are unlikely to convince others in their beliefs (which is what a lot of theorists really want, a place for others to agree with their profound thoughts but skip over the details, to scoff at things like the recent Artemis mission or take things like 2000 mules as gospel and others to blindly accept it).

Calling for all vaccines that have been used billions of times safely to be destroyed isn't asking a question, it's being an anti-vaxxer (you're not a moderate here, not sure if you still think otherwise, unless you're also admitting to trolling). The COVID forum asks questions all the time and people look for answers, but they are answered scientifically and with evidence (e.g. why they stopped using adenovirus based vaccines vs. mRNA, the difference between mRNA, protein based and more traditional vaccines, the ingredients used in those vaccines and any impact/allergies they can have). Grabbing one bit of data out of a study (that usually show positive effects) and using it to spin a negative theory is being an anti-vaxxer, they have existed long before and will continue to exist long after the COVID vaccines (see the discredited Wakefield studies for examples from the turn of the century). People are creating entire studies about vaccines and pushing them various places to push their fantasies hoping to discredit vaccines (one lad in Israel is quite prolific about it), the smallest bit of critical thinking would dismiss these yet some will post them as gospel and then slink away when "found out".

It's also really not worth trying to make it "personal" there are burner accounts created with the sole mission of getting other accounts banned, if you don't like DohnJoe's questions, put on ignore, but the secret is that you probably enjoy the bit of drama and conflict there, "the fight" :)

I was suggesting that they burn the vaccines that were out of date. Not the one's that can be potentially used. I've always said that the vaccines were good for the vulnerable elderly and immunocompromised people. I stand by that and won't budge from that view point.

I've had all types of vaccines, but I drew the line in the sand with the mRNA vaccines or any of the covid shot's. I've no problem with people who take them, I'd never discourage anyone's decision. I wouldn't expect anyone to be influenced by my decision.

If you read back on my comment about burning vaccines,it was a discussion about out of date vaccines. Not vaccines that were before the use by date.

Also well put.... and no insults !! 😜

The thing is some people (on both 'sides' ) think all issues and Black OR White , that theres no grey area. That something MIGHT be possible.

Not all facts are 100% correct - There can be a bit of allowance needed. No need for such aggressive questioning ....

Personally , im not that bothered (havent the time) to worth out the minutiae of details about how fast the bullet would have travelled from the DBD to JFKs car or how the BBC knew building 7 was going to collapse and the temp of burning jets is ???degrees....

I just like to read peoples thoughts - I used to just scroll through them , laugh at the bloody silliness of some of them, and enjoy the more sane ones. But recently , its almost impossible due to the haranguing by the usual posters. You post a thought, an idea (intelligent or silly) and straight away its pounced on/ derided / mocked by those that think they know it all - its almost as if there only interest is haranguing posters in the CT forum.

Fair enough , discussions involve questions and answers , but shouldnt involve being harassed and mocked because of your own opinion. Being labelled 'knuckle draggers' or 'stupid cnuts' should not be tolerated in ANY forum (would the people involved go on the motoring forum and harass car enthusiasts about global warning or that they are dangerous on the roads? And get away with it? i doubt it.) so why do those people feel they are entitled to do so in here? Is it an inferiority complex? Or they just get off on it. And if we are all the stupid, why spend all your time in here with us ?? I dont understand that at all ........

Anyway, thats my opinion, if there was less venom by the few then the majority of people that have interest in the topics would say more.

So why then don't you create a thread or request a dedicated forum purely for discussing the motives/dangers/"disinformation" of conspiracy theorists rather than hijacking every thread that you feel doesn't meet your standards?

I think the mask has severely slipped in this page of posts as there is a clear admission of unofficial directing of the forum. The manifesto before this was "Just asking questions".

This was the telling sentence here:

I stand by that and won't budge from that view point.

(this was despite being shown that the risk/reward ratio for vaccines is, at minimum, 250:1, 10:000:1 or more for most cohorts)

And this was the telling part in the lava comment:

Who's to know how lethal they are if they're poured out.

(scientists know, to be scientific, if poured out the nano-lipid coating holding the mRNA in place will be disrupted and the vaccine will literally "fall apart" into benign molecules, it's one of the reasons they have to be kept cold and stable during transport)

Again, going back to theorists, my view point can be budged and has been multiple times, I hope it keeps on happening into the future, because it means we now have new knowledge and information about the world.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are you still claiming there is a conspiracy theory around the moderation of this forum?

Because that's one that can be very easily debunked, like your "all space flight is impossible" theory

Advertisement