Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am Proud of Being a Conspiracy Theorist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I cannot disagree with your observation. You have a great sense of self awareness and obviously have a lot of work done on yourself. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Such threads have been created and such things discussed on these pages.

Any attempts to get conspiracy theorists to discuss their theories fails though. Conspiracy theorists are perfectly free to discuss their theories amongst themselves. Many claim to have half of the forum on ignore so surely wouldn't even be seeing any of questions from non CT'ers, so they could think that they are just chatting away amongst themselves if they were genuinely ignoring those who were asking awkward questions...

Except despite anyone who is asking questions of the CT'ers supposedly being on ignore there is no discussion going on between the theorists. They have nothing to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The term conspiracy theory was popularised by Karl Popper and came into common parlance of theories of powerful or sinister groups controlling scenarios. I’ve never heard your literal definition. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,838 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

All posters are reminded regardless of whatever "side" you fall on name calling and ridicule are not acceptable in this forum (or any forum for that matter).

Keep it civil. If you can't, you always have the option of staying away from the forum.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wow, now you're "woke" if you don't believe pizzagate .....

It's amazing how much fear a simple misunderstood word can invoke in people

You guys are absolutely hilarious

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 point warning and 1 week forum ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Its about now that I'd usually take a swipe the Woke hivemind with their mindless demands for evidence, their seeming inability to think independently, or critically. Even though they probably dont recognise Xmas

Would you say this is how you view anyone who doesn't believe in certain conspiracies or who doesn't share your world views?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For the first question: I don't think so and same for the second.

Basically what I'm getting at, is how do you know that your views aren't the issue here. What happens with friends, colleagues, relatives, etc who don't share your personal beliefs, do you think they have an inability to think independently or critically?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Reread what you posted. "Woke hivemind" "Research shows ...." etc. All are your beliefs. And, what happens to you colleagues and associates who don't share them? Do you try and convince them? Do you not interact with them? Do they drop you?

The kinds of conspiracy theories brought up here - 5g transmitters in vaccines funded by Bill Gates, Jewish Space lasers starting fires in the Western US (o.k., that was a US one not here) aren't 'fables.' Fables are snow white, jack and the beanstalk and indeed, there probably were elements of truth in them originally. Snow White being the daughter of someone whose stepmother had it in for her, a common human experience.

Not Q-Anon though. That's out-and-out lunacy with not even a slight basis in truth. It's not a 'modern fable'. It's dumb ideas, usually adopted by damaged people, looking for like minded to form a hivemind.

• Advertisement

So, the NASA moon landings being faked, has a basis in truth? Would love to see what you consider a 'basis.'

Woke hivemind - usually, someone using Woke as a pejorative is, well, not worth talking to, as it's another way of saying, "They disagree with me therefore they're bad." I didn't question your research statements, but I don't think you were conflating those, with whatever you define as 'the woke hivemind.' Do you think Jeffrey Epstein was 'woke?' Again, you're posting beliefs (like that of a 'woke hivemind.' Not facts)

And, what do your colleagues do when they find out they disagree with you? What do you do, to them?

"It could be quite sinister" - yep, CT to the fore alright. Was 5G used in vaccines for Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Again with the whole "I'm so smrt " thinking.

-------------------------------------------------

2 point warning added + 1 week forum ban

And that's the heart of CT - paranoia. Based on fantasies.

My opinion is that CT'ers are on the far-paranoid end of the scale, having some dissatisfaction with their lot in life so looking to blame shadowy figures, not their own life choices.

I cut them some slack, until they start doing dangerous things like generating FUD around getting necessary vaccines, and really dangerous things like Holocaust denial.

So, were 5G transmitters integrated into Covid vaccines? Or is the fact that there's 5G and AI and Machine Learning all around the time Covid vaccines came about enough proof for you? Because if that's the case, your paranoia becomes evident.

Anyone who's not towing the line or a bit oppositional to the current thing is a conspiracy theorist.

There's a lot of daft questions asked by debunkers. Then if the question is answered, it's not the right answer, so you're sent off on errands to get a link to what you read somewhere.

Then the debunkers google that persons name who's researching a certain situation or current affair and look for something negative about them or a fact check that's more hostile than factual.

What I understand is a conspiracy theory forum is for conspiracy theorists to discuss their ideas and fantacy about whatever the think is happening beyond the mainstream reality of the situation. It's pretty harmless stuff to be honest.

You'll get people who'll put everyone in the same bracket, just because you question one thing, you believe that the moon is made of cheese or you're an Alex Jones fan. Which is not the case.

The debunkers somehow think it's a crime to go against the status quo. A lot of people who used to post on these forums have been ran out by a few of the usual suspects. But the hostile posting is being handled well at the moment.

I'm more of an agnostic type on the fence.

That hive mind is very common these days, people are unable to stand as one they need to stand on people's head's or be lead by people they put on pedastils . Usually the likes of TV journalists who tell us who we should trust, TV say's so therefore it's right.

Granted I'm an independent person, I don't follow the hive mind mentality that most people do.

As for journalists, very few I'll trust. It's easy to see why debunkers go straight for fact checkers. Because more than likely the fact checkers are on a pay roll. And if you read between the lines of fact checking it's always a double edged sword. Worded in such a way they'll leave you thinking rather than believing.

I go back to glyphosate been deemed as harmless and safe. I remember reading the label's year's ago. There was even a time it was said one could drink it and all you need is a spoon full of soil to deactivate the chemical.

That was back in the mid 90's back then I knew that there was something hooky about roundup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What I understand is a conspiracy theory forum is for conspiracy theorists to discuss their ideas and fantacy about whatever the think is happening beyond the mainstream reality of the situation. It's pretty harmless stuff to be honest.

There is absolutely nothing about the way the forum operates which prevents conspiracy theorists from discussing each others theories like that. You are free to pick and chose who you respond to in any thread.

The only response I've seen from any conspiracy theorists between each other though is pressing the like button on a post and very occasionally one will say "ooh, interesting theory" but then disappear from the thread without progressing the conversation around the theory that you all claim to want to be able to do.

Sure, that is what we all want. Someone to post a theory and then explain their beliefs around the what, why, who and how.

It's for people to discuss a conspiracy, not to debunk it.

It's not about proving anything. This whole present your evidence etc is usually just lad's trying to ruin the spirit of discussion really. You know the sort of people who go around telling younger people about Santa Claus being your parents when they're really young. Kid tells mum and dad that johnny said Santa's not real. Well these kid's usually grow up at the same craic. Trying to undermine people's naive beliefs or understanding of how it all works.

Controlling the partners and the dynamics of the mood of the forum. Contrary men in way's. Women don't seem to be interested in the dynamics of conspiracy theories. They seem to just get on with it.

People believe in all kinds of strange things.

I have an interest in folklore, I remember a folklorist was brought up in a discussion year's ago and we all have friends who have different personalities. One of the lads I know suggested that the folklorist was just a story teller and it was all just a nodd and a wink... Far from it I'll tell you.

He sits down with people listen to their stories and takes recordings and notes. Imagine if he started bickering with them and saying, where's your proof, have you evidence, you're instilling people with fear about pucas and shape shifters etc you're a bad man.

You mentioned that hive mind woke mob, well a lot of them are just contrary dull and have nothing to add to society. All they do is try to subtract. I have heard them described as fillers in society. They're just fodder for amusement for most people.

There's a guy who I listen to on YouTube, David Paulides missing 411 he talks about people going missing in strange circumstances, here one minute gone another. Some people turn up with no shoe's on their feet, or up the side of a mountain.

David has an interest in these things, he's doing trojan work on trying to figure out what's happening. The woke mob try to undermine him. He's oblivious to them. Imagine a man trying to find out why these people are going missing. And you've people trying to say that he's not helping the situation. He's out there meeting people and trying to compile evidence. And you've idiots on their couch at home posting negative comments.

I love listening to unsolved mysteries, and stuff about the sasquatch, sabe and bigfoot. It's fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Rather than rehash the whole theory versus hypothesis issue, and instead going by Cognitive Dissident's description of what a CT forum should be.

What is it that CTr's actually want to discuss? If the validity of any belief or evidence underpinning their hypothesis isn't open for discussion?

What is?

%Can I ask a genuine question. How would a conspiracy theorist decide what could potentially be in scope and other scenarios that they accept as true even though both may be controlled by the same group. Why isn’t everything disbelieved If sinister groups are faking things but not others. Especially as agreed there would be no evidence.

I suppose it comes down to creative thinking and writing.

Discussing things that could possibly be happening in the background.

Lad's can easily ignore the debunkers if they like. Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything.

Obviously a line has to be drawn if a discussion is harmful or insighting violence or hatred.

A lot of conspiracies are harmless, only a minute percentage of people go here anyhow.

ok that’s something that I wasn’t aware of. Now following on from that does that mean that the conspiracy theorist mightn’t fundamentally in the theory but want to at least have it discussed?

• Advertisement

I too love Satan

--------------------------------

2 point warning. 1 week forum ban.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Its not difficult to prove the element of truth in all CTs - thats why they exist in the first place. They are the natural product of human intuition.

Anyone persistently demanding evidence is in breach of the spirit of the forum rules, IMO. For the simple reason that evidence is difficult, if not impossible to come by.

So is it easy to prove the conspiracy, why do posters not do so?

And how is it that it's both easy to prove and impossible to prove at the same time?

It's for people to discuss a conspiracy, not to debunk it.

But conspiracy theorists refuse to discuss their theories. I don't think we've ever seen any instance of conspiracy theorists engaging in discussion with each other about any topic, except for how the forum is against them somehow. But even then there is nothing been shown about how exactly they believe the forum is against them.

They keep on getting interrupted by others. Thankfully there's a line drawn in the sand now. And hostility and repeated stupid questions aren't being tolerated anymore.

Some people won't like it.

I'm not a believer in biblical stories, but I'm not compelled to ask people of faith repetitive questions and wind them up. Asking them to prove me wrong.

Something's lately aren't adding up and it's quite obvious.

They keep on getting interrupted by others.

No they don't, that's not how forums work.

Some people post comments, other people then respond to that post, if the initial poster can't be bothered to respond to something there is no obligation on them to do so.

CT posters are not being interrupted or hounded off the forum. They can choose who they want to respond to and if they just said nothing then their thread would die as those of us you call debunkers would stop posting. The only reason that you get repeatedly asked the same question is because you respond to the debunkers questions, but with complete nonsense so you get asked again in alternative ways in the hope that you may understand the question next time round.

If you only want to respond to other conspiracy theorists then do that. But conspiracy theorists don't want to ask each other questions about their theories.

Debunkers don't like asking each other questions either. They usually egg each other on and comment on the other posters post's.

Its a regular observation here. They suggest that the conspiracy theorists should be at odds with each other. I've no interest in asking why so and so thinks such and such happens.

We're you ever caught up in a situation in the world and there's something going on and you said to yourself it's not adding up. Even though mainstream media say's so. But you're suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Exactly.

Conspiracy "theories" are really nothing of the sort. A theory is a supposition based on factual elements that have already been established to propose a reason for something being or to suggest a course of action. However conspiracy "theories" are little more than beliefs, and are often beliefs in the absolute absurd, for which there is little to no basis in fact upon which to build that belief.

That's not to say that groups don't conspire. They do. The Nazis conspired over Gleiwitz, for example. The Republican Party under Nixon conspired to break into the Watergate building in 1972 to bug Democratic offices. Kissinger conspired with the Junta in the Argentine coup in 1976. These are established conspiracies that have factual evidence to back them up.

But nonsense like the flat earth, fake moon landings and Trump's stolen election is just bullshit. Bullshit that a certain type simply want to believe in for some reason. They are completely without foundation and are merely limited to a repeated lie that goes viral amongst a certain cohort. And what's worse is that today, conspiracy "theory" has become a political weapon, used by nefarious actors to con the simple minded. That's where the "fun" element of it has been changed to a very dangerous thing indeed.

Well for the most part, what with it being a conspiracy theory forum, the "debunkers" are not making suggestions in their posts which warrant questioning.

But you are now saying that you have no interest in questioning other conspiracies, yet you were previously posting that the problem with the forum was that conspiracy theorists don't get the opportunity to interact with each other because they keep getting interrupted by non CT'ers.

If CT'ers don't want to discuss their theories with each other then what exactly is the problem with the forum. Is it that you just want to post theories to a notice board and then for nobody, either CT'ers or debunkers, to get any chance to query things?

"Something's lately aren't adding up and it's quite obvious."

What? What you've posted there, is a hypothesis. You need hypotheses to form a theory. So, what exactly is your hypothesis? What's not adding up?

As for getting interrupted, uh, surely you have something better to do with your life, like hang with your Ukrainian friends, than wait with bated breath on who responds to your posts? As the mods repeatedly tell us, not all posts need to be responded to. If you're egregious about that, though, like you were on the Covid vaccine safety thread, you'll get warnings and a ban like in your case.

HTH

• Advertisement

Similary to your situation where you got a ban in the covid vaccine thread too . You haven't mentioned that though have you.

Yeah I have friends and people to associate with, I don't need moral support or anyone suggesting what I should or shouldn't do besides posting here. Obviously you're concerned for my welfare. Endearing but not essential. Thanks anyway.

You're ambivalence is quite contradictory, but then again I'm not abashed at your observation of my personal life. You'll post anything to get a point across.

You've no principles whatsoever when it comes to having arguments on the internet.

Trying to intellectually outsmart me here I see too , lol you'll be a long time trying @Igotadose .

You've been trying that for a long time and failed miserably.

But then again, keep on trying.

Advertisement