Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Summer 2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

And I hope after next weekend it does not cool down dramatically. A reload of heat for the following week would be most welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭glightning

Yeah, I mentioned that thundery potential for overnight next Fri into Sat in the "Lack of nighttime storms" thread. Would be good if that came off, and as you say that slack low has been showing up over multiple runs now. I'm hoping to catch some of that heat and possible thunder on Fri and Sat before jetting off to Majorca on Sat evening where it looks like a hot week will be on the cards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Next weekend looking very warm to hot now on the ECM with temperatures across Ireland between 8 and 12C above normal. The cool spell from Tuesday to Thursday looks downgraded a bit with more in the way of warm weather with temperatures generally staying in the low 20s during the middle part of next week. Very difficult to access Wetterzentrale at the moment since the ECM 12z started rolling out, normally this happens in the winter whenever we see dream winter charts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ouch looking hot when you arrive in Majorca glightning, doesn't look to drop below 20C during the night, but you must love the heat going in July 😀.

The plume of warm to hot air heading for Ireland around that weekend very much there from the ECM, not as prominent on the GFS but showing it briefly, the longer range GFS showing warm weather to continue after the weekend also but that is far off.

ECM stops at 12.00 Sun 17th but already showing it reaching 27C in places by then, this is only an indication of how warm it could get if it verifies, been showing it now though for quite a number of runs so looking very warm at least to hot. Dare I say there could be a heat event around that weekend?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The temperatures on the surface for the Sunday look surprisingly low considering those insane upper air temperatures. Those temperatures we can get from a +12 upper air value, but these values are +18 to +22!. I wonder is the ECM undercooking the temperatures. The UK temperatures for next Sunday are also nothing special (for them)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The chart above is only for 12.00, I would think if those charts verified you would be talking about high 20's or into the 30's maybe even widespread by the mid to late afternoon, but they could get moderated a bit by then. For now a curiosity with a fair potential of something very warm or hot perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah very hard to know. Even though 80 percent of charts show near 30c next weekend it's not set in stone. Certainly a lot of warm or very warm days in the next 10 days. Should be 20c at least in Oak Park for example nearly all these days.

Latest charts show a very unsettled and cool part 2 of July from the GFS. But since they can't even predict tomorrow I wouldn't put too much faith in them. If and when the real warmth comes itl take a while to move it away so the transition to inevitable cold and wet could be slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

GFS operational is drunk today, I HOPE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No more sober for the 12z. 2 consecutive days of 40s for SE England 17th and 18th July, even reaching 44C over Kent. Shows 31C over Limerick on 17th July.

Next Sunday looks very warm to hot. Some extreme heat again for the UK. Ireland could see a 31 or 32C out of this. The operational isn't the hottest chart either, there are 5 other GFS members going warmer than the above for Ireland and the UK.

Many of the models now going for a 3 day warm to hot spell next Friday to Sunday with temperatures mid twenties widely and high twenties locally. If this does verify I hope there is some sun.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Wasn't there almost as high temps forecast for this weekend a few days back? That didn't account for cloud cover.

Same again with these charts I assume?

That's why we should be cautious. This high pressure is nowhere nearly as warm or sunny as it was supposed to be as we are in a total cloudfest. Away from Cork and the south-west this high pressure is a lame duck with non ending cloud and fairly standard temperatures for the time of year.

Ya only yesterday the BBC weather showed crystal clear skies after 7pm in all of Ireland. The cloud has hung on and got worse. Tomorrow won't be half as sunny either. At least not expecting anything after Monday so when it's still cloudy and 16c I won't notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I can't comment as all the high temps and talks of 40C have been from the 15th July which is what has been catching my eye, you can see through the thread of the ludicrous GFS runs been mentioned (especially those 18z runs through this week). Don't recall any notable high temps been projected for this weekend but certainly more sunshine than what it has so far brought here! Happy for those further south, especially Cork, that have gotten it glorious though.

Cautiousness should always be held in high regard, this is Ireland after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Time to move out of Sligo pauldry? Even though I was up in Enniscrone 2 years ago around the start of august on holidays and it was absolutely stunning there! 3 full days of sun 22/23c each day, last night there was a wash out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z moves the heat up over Ireland next weekend!

#record-breaking

ECM has changed though, they are trading places. Showing the Atlantic breaking trough and that area of LP that earlier looked favorable to bring up Tropical airs only doing half the job 😁, now being charted to quickly link up with the Atlantic low, in fact latest run showing wetter then earlier runs, still showing being warm or very warm Sat but breaking down Sun into Mon.

But as ever early days, ECM went from hot to breaking down earlier, GFS went from average to hot so a few more twists and turns no doubt, still a chance of a warm to very warm day in the weekend but not sure which one.

Can see the stark difference between the GFS and ECM below.

Signs of the AZORES High building again from the ECM

Looking at the temperatures for Spain coming up and looks sizzling if not dangerously hot.

• Advertisement

GFS 18z is going for 30C in Cork next weekend, with the GFS models you can always add on and extra few degrees so this could techically get Cork to 33C and 44C north-east of London if it verified.

Edit: inland cork, not the city itself.

the spell of rain on Tuesday is also getting downgraded bigtime.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

MT's forecast this morning has vastly downgraded any such potential temperatures. No one wants severe heat in ireland but two or three days of high temps, say 28 to 32, would have been welcome. Ah well, maybe next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

I love how you think that you speak for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

That's because MT bases his forecasts off the AM gfs run ,the euro models dis morning beg to differ

The plume is heading to Cork on this run!!

31c for some parts of the south next Sunday on the latest gfs.

42c for England again.

Edit- Goes hotter again on Monday for England with 43c. 3 consecutive days above 40c for parts of England. Mental

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

3 days of plus 40 degrees for souther England on the 06z GFS.

Historic heat and

standard misery along atlantic coastal areas.

15 in west mayo and 42 in norfolk.

couldnt make it up,cud ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Uncharted territory. Very sad state of affairs. If those temperatures happen in England. The 40c english seal broken. All bets would be off............

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

I know where I’d prefer to be in those temps! And it’s not Norfolk!

And just like that ECM back with warm to hot temperatures over next weekend with Sunday now being the main focus as the warmer day showing temperatures up to 28C on the latest run, the chart below is for 13.00 and next one is for 19.00 and showing 28C in the S / SE so would expect mid to high 20'S for large parts of the country going by this run not nailed down yet but something is afoot now that it is turning up more and more, would want to see a few runs showing this to become a bit more sure, Sat and Mon could see temps getting up t o 25C or so according to the 0Z.

GFS showing getting up to 31C and widespread 25C+ , not as outragouss as it first appeared given what the ECM is now showing too.

GFS show's up to 27C for Sat and another 30C for Mon and up to 25C for Tues.

The area of LP to the S is the key, now staying much lower around Biscay helping to guide in the warm plume of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Extreme and all as those temps look, it's over 7 days away so extremely unlikely to verify.

Forecast models seem to be much poorer in the last two years.

I know when flights were grounded initially with Covid there was a dearth of data. Are they still working with reduced input data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

I say this every year.

Eastern England is around 800km away from the far west of Ireland. That's a huge difference. Even Dublin is over 500KM away.

While I imagine it'll be warmer than 15º in Mayo and cooler than 42º in England, a temp contrast that big over 800 or so KMs isn't unheard of.

Bergen in Norway is around 500km from Oslo with a vastly different climate. As is San Fran to Las Vegas.

For our own sanity if nothing else, we need to stop thinking we deserve the English climate or what we're 'unlucky' for missing out.

Well first out the blocks is the Icon and there's a notable shift West of next weekends plume. Showing serious heat moving up over Ireland!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Gfs follows Icon moving the plume further West. Heatwave next weekend for Ireland looking likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looks like 30c +

Given its peak Summer, the record could go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Do one

GFS 12z could deliver 33C in parts of Cork, Clare or Limerick next Sunday with widespread low 30s across the southern half of Ireland.

Icon not as hot but still hot.

GEM the coolest of the lot with warmth restricted to south eastern half of Ireland.

Interesting times ahead. I would dearly love our 33C record to be finally matched and beaten, if futher upgrades happen we could be looking at 34C, however this is almost a week away and what goes wrong will go wrong and we will end up probably mid to high twenties with a few places scraping 30C. For any of this to verify we need it to be clear unbroken gin blue skies and not a cloudfest. If we end up with too much cloud across the country forget about temperatures going much above 24C.

Hope we can hang on to our 33c record for as long as possible in our changing climate........

• Advertisement

UKMO keeps the warmth restricted to just one day (next Saturday) and looks more realistic compared to the GFS.

As of now all models are going for some very warm weather next weekend but the GFS definitely still the warmest and lasts for almost 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Genuinely believe people will be coming to ireland to escape these temperatures in future. Drought is seriously affecting yields worldwide this year also. Not at all happy at prospect of 40/45 in England or France.

Yes,I find it very worrying the possibility of 40c + in the likes of England. Even if it doesn't happen next weekend the very fact that the models are even suggesting such is worrying in itself. Alarm bells should be ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

40c+ is the GFS summer version of 20 inches of snow. I'll believe it when happens. Until then put the roseary beads away.

Will happen sooner or later in England, only a matter of time imo. Hopefully just not yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Why are you so uptight about the potential for record breaking temperatures in England nxt weekend?i find the whole set up exciting,this is a weather forum after all ,it's what we look for ,extremes

I'm interested in extremes too but the possibility of 40c + in England is surely worrying from a climate change perspective. We should be hoping to NOT be breaking heat records instead of getting excited about the potential next weekend. Thats the way I view this particular possible event. Of course the weather will do what it will do whatever we hope or don't hope for.......

Edit , just to mention I'm more of a cold hunter then a heat hunter anyway. Autumn/ winter is more my thing when it comes to weather.

Post edited by Billcarson on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In my experience for winter, low pressures end up further north and arrive more quickly than modelled, pushing further to the east more quickly too. That would keep the plume away from us.

I want that to happen because two 75 year old parents in an uncoolable house really is not something I want to have to deal with next weekend.

These heat events are gradually pushing North. Eventually it had to happen.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement