Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sorry to hear you've had a poor couple of weeks. Usually, an extra couple of miles wouldn't be a huge issue but given its taper time my Mentor (& taper madness) brain is saying no I wouldn't really advise it. If it's something you think you really should do, then maybe compromise & do 15 miles instead of the prescribed 14?

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheRef

I'm toying with the idea of running the second half(ish) of the marathon route on Saturday - from Walkinstown roundabout, near enough to the end and head back up the canal to collect the car.

Would the traffic and junctions make it too disruptive, and somewhat defeat the purpose?

Would I be better off doing my LSR where I normally would, which would be relatively quiet with long paths and paved roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Suppose it depends on what time u are planning, earlier the better for less hassle with roads crossing. Sunday does be quieter again but may not suit. Personally, I would and get out that bit earlier if possible. Always good to have an idea of what it feels like to run parts of the route IMO. I'll be doing something similar this wkend.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I ran the back half of the route last Sunday morning starting at around 10am, zero issues with traffic and it was very good to get an idea of the route.

Thanks Folks. I think I'll give it a go. Just need to get up extra early Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

any advice would be appreciated. In bed since Monday with a chest infection. On an antibiotic until the end of the week and I’m worried that’s me done for the marathon. Anyone else ever had a similar issue so close to the marathon? Essentially I’ll miss the first week of the taper at a minimum

any advice to get me back on the road again Would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

My main advice is to first of all not be too concerned. You're not going to drop a massive amount of fitness.

I would maybe slightly adjust your target depending on what way you were approaching it.

If (and this imo is optimal on your first DCM anyway) you are aiming for a relatively conservative target, (think capable of 3:55 but aiming for 4) then you probably don't need to worry too much.

If you were targeting the limit of what you thought you were capable of I would suggest adjusting it back a bit.

This is based on hard experience btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

You'll be grand. My advice about getting back on the road is to stay off the road until you've recovered. Get as much sleep and rest as possible (not always possible with work/other commitments). Eat healthily etc. Your antibiotic course will be over at the end of this week and you'll likely feel a bit better. Don't rush back to running. Ease back in. You've built up your fitness over the last few months and you won't lose that over a week of resting and recovering. Just my opinion but that's what I'd be doing if I were in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Wanted to do a 10k at marathon pace today, but wasn't feeling it and quit after 5k. Had a small pain in my left knee as well but I have this quite often so wasn't to bothered.

Guess I can just call it a taper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

I had the same about two weeks ago, tried to still run but physically couldn't. Rest up until the antibiotic is completed and when you start running again take it very easy for the first few runs. As said above you're not going to lose much fitness from a weeks rest but if you try and force yourself out while you're still unwell it could end up making it worse.

Feel better soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Long time away from the thread as I've been ill (flu) and decided to avoid the training updates while sick. In a bit of a pickle now with what to do re: Marathon as I have missed a significant amount of training, including long runs. Having caught Covid in Week 3 (4 weeks off) and then my recent illness (another 4 weeks off) I am in two minds if its actually a good idea to go for it.

My long runs I have done were 14m, 16m, 19m followed by 4 weeks off with little running. I have since done a 12 mile last week (second run back) which was a struggle but had done 5 miles the day before and coupled with lack of running, it makes sense that it was difficult. I have completed all runs this week so far and only worry is a slight strain on my right leg. My current plan is to try for a 20 mile this weekend, cutting my PMP pace down by 30-40 seconds per km and use that to judge if I will make the distance.

I do not want to derail the thread at this late stage when so many are in their taper and looking forward to the race - so if there is some honest advice to be had it would be great if anyone could DM me.

Really sorry to hear of the setbacks you've had. When you say 'Go for it' I assume you mean turn up on the day and run the marathon, rather than going for your goal?

If the former, why not. Factor in walk breaks, take it very very easy. The very best thing about DCM is the experience of it, the crowds, the buzz, the joy afterwards. There's a fine balance with getting all of that while also chasing a goal that's at your limit.

You're actually in a position to guarantee you have a positive experience. Enjoy the day, get that first marathon buzz then come back next year with a luckier run in.

Definitely don't go for your original goal, I'm fairly sure that's not what you meant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Thanks @Lazare . Yes, apologies I should have been clearer there :) - I was wondering if I should run at all given the time off. I know I need to seriously cut back on the PMP which I intend on doing.

My pre-sickness LSR pace was 5:28/km (8:48/mile) and I am planning my LSR this weekend at 5:50-6:00/km. New target then would be getting sub-4 hour marathon (5:40/km pace, 9:07/mile), from an original 3hr30min target (5:00/km pace, 8:00/mile). So PMP change of +40 seconds per KM.

I certainly feel like I need to get the 20 mile in this weekend, if anything just to get the mental confidence that I wont keel over on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

Thanks everyone. Due to finish antibiotic on Saturday. Plan is to go for a very light jog on Sunday to see how chest is. Continue on from there next week. Will aim to stick to the boards plan for next week at very slow pace just to keep the legs moving.

i was hoping to do a sub 4 at best but reckon that is out the window now. Plan now is just to get around and try to enjoy it.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I agree that the long run will give you confidence but it is very close to race day. By all means do the 20, for your own reassurance, but I would be taking down the pace even more, it is very important that it's a slow run (and actually there is no such thing as a 20 mile 'easy' run, especially for a marathon novice).

If the new race pace is 5:40 kms, I'd be doing that LSR at at least 6:15-6:20 pace. I'd also be prepared to curtail it at three hours or a little over if you're feeling very tired, so plan the route accordingly. You'll also need to be very careful with next week's recovery.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭birofunk

Getting close now so trying to figure out logistics on the day. Hopefully someone can help me out. Lots of newb questions coming. Hopefully I'm asking in the right place!

I'm coming from greystones so planning on parking at a luas and getting the green line to Stephens Green. I presume driving in will be a nightmare with road closures and parking. What sort of time should I be aiming for? I'm in wave 2 which is a 9.05 start.

Also wanted to check the best place to meet my wife afterwards?

I'm presuming I can put my phone in my drop bag as I won't be running with it?

Another noob question:

I'm arriving in Ireland on thursday. So that means I've got Friday and Saturday to find a decent meal. Any known places that serve food that will help me get through Sunday. Supermac's and Whiskey might not be the best choice I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Whereabouts are you staying and what kind of food are you looking for? Lots of different options so probably need to narrow it down a bit

I'm staying in an airbnb close to Sandyford. So pretty far away from the centre but I'm expecting to be in the city centre for most of the day anyway.

I've got a wife at home who's pretty annoyed I spend 1000 euro's on this marathon so I don't mind what I eat as long as it's reasonable cheap. So no 6 course meals.

Pasta seems like the obvious choice of course.

edit

will have a leap card so I'll be able to go anywhere public transport can get me.

You're very close to Dundrum Town centre there and that is on the luas line. Few places to get pasta there, Milanos, Jamie Olivers to name just two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Pacinos, Wallaces, or Luigi Malones would all be decent city center options then.

I think getting there a minimum of 45 mins before your start time. Bag drop and queues at portaloos can take time. You can put what you like(within reason)in that bag. Remember those bags are see through for security reasons so perhaps stick the phone in a pocket of tracksuit bottoms within bag.. I never heard of a security issue here though.

Meeting point- you will have to go around and get your bag and phone anyway as soon as you finish but I'd suggest somewhere close enough to finish.

WEEK 17

Holy Sh!t,it is hard to believe we are so close to the marathon! In just two short weeks you will have completed the Dublin Marathon & hopefully will be sitting in your chosen pub, McGratton's is honestly the best pub in regards to meeting all the very friendly faces from Boards both present & past😁 I personally can't wait to neck my 1st Ice cold bottle of Bulmers light there😋 To have reached this point is a great achievement, this is the home stretch before your victory lap on October 30th.

I know a few of you have been questioning things after illnesses & some really good advice has been given, I hope it has been taken on board & everyone is feeling more confident heading towards the last couple of weeks. What I would say to everyone is that it is a really good idea to obviously have your dream realistic target, but also have an B target & even a C target (something you'd be content with), with all the will in the world sometimes it just doesn't go to plan & being able to reset your target during the marathon will really stand to you, it can be the difference between having a good experience to having a really bad experience & suffering, which no one wants. Every now & again, check in with yourself, see how the body is feeling, how the pace feels, can you continue at this pace? Stick to the plan of running at least the 1st 7miles conservatively, if not the 1st half then reassess.

The taper really kicks into gear this week, and your legs may feel that bit fresher. This is the purpose of the taper of course, but as a result, the runs will feel very easy compared to what you've been used to. Please keep an eye on the paces - it's easy for them to creep up on fresh legs, but that would be undoing some of the good of the taper. You want very fresh legs come marathon day! There's more to lose than win from doing too much at this stage. Please don't go out and run any crazy sessions or races as they're not going to add to your fitness at this point. An old phrase I've read on these Boards over the last couple of years is that you're better going into a race 'undercooked rather than overcooked'.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|8m LSR|cross

Boards|rest, cross or 3m rec|3m easy|4m easy|4m w/ 6 x strides|rest, cross or 3m rec|8m LSR|rest, cross or 3m rec

The priority now is getting to the start line. If you have a niggle, it might be best to rest! The hard work is done, so don't risk your marathon if something is not right. It's easy to bury your head in the sand and hope for the best, but the smart move might be to put the feet up and book a physio appointment. Of course, if you are feeling fine then follow the plan. There's no need for additional mileage - as we may have mentioned you are tapering. Anyone feeling very unconfident, look back through your training since the beginning of your plan and look at the races you've run and have faith in your training and ability.

This is the lowest mileage week in a number of months for both plans - enjoy it. Do the runs at appropriate paces, and use the free time to rest and recuperate. Try and get into the habit this week of going to bed that touch earlier - this will stand to you in two weeks time.

Hopefully excitement is kicking in now as well as the nerves! It's all totally normal & part of the build up to your big day😊

Very best of luck, we are almost there😁

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Week 7/9

Mon

Good session with physio. Chatted about knee and she said strength 6 months before the only answer. No worse after long run so taking positive from that.

lunch run 8k @5:18

Tue

lunch run 6k @5:22

evening 4*2400m w 800m rec. tgt pace 10:15 act 10:05/07/10/14. Didn’t get out till after 9 on this. Very indisciplined. Total 16k

Wed

lunch run 8k @5:06

Dublin for work so did the last mile and first mile and half of course. Turned around just before the pull up to Christchurch. Start is deceptively uphill I thought though with the crowds it’s not like you’ll be sprinting anyway!

Thurs

evening 8k @5:21

Fri

lunch 6k@5:10

evening 16k at training MP @4:22 act 4:20 brought the headphones so less bored though pace was a lot more variable! Sessions on Tuesday/Fridays make much more sense with Saturdays off for the next one

Total 20k

Sunday 16k @5:04

if I thought last Sunday were bad, this afternoon was horrendous. Had brief 2nd thoughts about going out. A few ks were defo quicker as a result

Total for the week 88k

next week is going to be a struggle to get the planned miles in. Won’t get the last strength session in but still hope to get just over 80k

A really solid week of running, the doubles are impressive, but are you not tapering?

Aiming for 80k next week doesn't sound sensible. Aiming for about 50k with intensity remaining the same sounds more like it. What is your plan for the next two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

They look like Hansons sessions to me, same as mine this week, so taper doesn't really start until next Thursday. I would stay off the doubles though. They should only be used if you're adding mileage to the plan and there's no need to do that now, especially on session days.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

I haven't posted any updates for a while as unfortunately I haven't been able to do anything for the last 2.5 weeks. I twisted my knee just walking some cobble stones & wasn't able to put any weight on it for a week or so & then got a dose of Covid. So I think I'm only coming out the far side now. I tried to do a 10km at the end of last week & simply couldn't do it - even at very slow pace. My knee held up fine but I just couldn't get my breathing right. So I said I'd rest up for another few days. Will give it a go again later today.

So I've missed 2.5 weeks - & not quite sure how I will approach the last 2 weeks now. Probably just see how the run goes today & take it from there. I do intend to run the race but I think ill need to take it handier than I was going to.

That is unfortunate timing. You had done a solid block prior to this I can see, which hopefully means u have built a good foundation and havnt lost too much fitness in the interim period. I think you need to take each run in isolation now and see how you feel. I suggest if you can run today to take off tomorrow and ease yourself in to another one on wednesday. You simply need to listen to your body and even if you do feel good post todays run, dont chase any miles - just keep everything easy and see how you feel come this weekend and we can help you review. Dont think beyond the next run just yet. - good luck

Aw no really sorry to hear this! For now, I would try the next run & see how it feels, I wouldn't really stick too much to the plan, maybe run then take the next day off then run again etc. The main aim for now is to get you running again without making your knee any worse, you have a decent enough block behind you. We can reevaluate your goals but for now listen to the body & see how running feels to the knee. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

I ran the most of the second half of the route the weekend, from Dolphins Barn to the end, bar the last half mile. It was an excellent learning experience, getting to know the route a little. What I learned was the portion from Walkinstown Roundabout to around Milltown Road is pretty straightforward. It was easy to just enjoy the run without too much thinking. Things changed around Milltown with a decent short but sharp incline, just past Alenandra College. It settled down again, and was fine to Clonskeagh road. While the road is long with a low grade incline, I didn't find it too bad (I had only done 6 miles at this point, so will be different when that is 20 miles). It dragged quite a bit though, but it's a nice area to be out and about.

I was looking forward to Roebuck road to see what the fuss was about and after turning on to it didn't think much, but soon approached the hill. It was very noticeable at the approach as it bent around to the left out of view and yeah, it is going to be tough. Luckily it wasn't as long as I expected, but again, with 20 miles under the belt, that's going to be different next time. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the long downhill on Fosters avenue that will give plenty of time to settle back again. From there on till the end, it's all flat again, so at least when I get to Roebuck, I'll know that's the last real hill of the day.

I ran back the canal towards Crumlin road to do that portion having done about 13 or so miles which is about the same as I'd have done in the marathon. This was the real lesson though. It was quite windy and the rain started as I got a little past the shopping center. I wonder if this section will catch some people out, putting in a shift to get up the road, not realizing how much effort they just put in till they are through it, and realising there is another 12 miles to go.

Advertisement