Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Boneyard2002

Not the stories I’ve heard about GV. People try shafting you, “clicks” etc

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭crazyfire999

What happens with vetting does anyone know? I think I’ve had far out family members that perhaps were involved in things they shouldn’t have been many moons ago…unfortunate thing of being from Northern Ireland - obviously this is nothing to do with me but does this raise a red flag? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Garnerville is nothing to be afraid of.

Just play the game and get out the otherside. Trust me the grass is greener once you land in station.

Garnerville is a means to an end and it goes by quick.

Remember that the Police is the public sector and the public sector is slow. Nothing moves rapidly.

Don't put your life on hold in anticipation for recruitment events or a start date.

Go on that holiday, take the promotion. When it comes to starting you can defer. They understand that you are all people and have lives.

Some people have insane notice periods for their current employment. And just not rocking up one day may work for a single pringle not practical if you have a family and bills.

Always haply to help fire me a PM if you've any questions. On the proviso that I can only give a candidate, a student officer and a young in service constable's perspective on things

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hypomnesia

No, won’t be an issue. Things like that are out of your control and the vetters understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭crazyfire999

That’s good. I know someone that didn’t get a job with the army because of far out family activity during the troubles. The laugh is, he only found out about it when they told him. I know the army is the army but I imagine the PSNI isn’t far behind them when it comes to security and checks re the vulnerability of data that might be shared with officers.

• Advertisement

The inner joke about vetting is they know more about your life than you do😂

I’d be very very surprised if they failed you to be honest. Just be 100% truthful on the forms and have no misleading information.

I’m near sure the police are on par with military regarding clearance. Think it just depends on level of clearance that makes the difference in how advanced the checks are

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭lornzeo99

You can’t help who your family are. It’s more who you actually associate with

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

I think with vetting it all comes down to honesty around issues like that, what you knew of those particular issues and what influence they may have over you or lack of. I've gone through the vetting section of this forum and the general consensus seems to be people fail more for not disclosing rather than the issues themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Unknown117

Right what do we think will be happening this week then ladies and gents? I hope they pass the list this week and when they do they let us know our number and that it has been passed across. But I could be to hopeful 😂

• Advertisement

Ideally, it would be great for the merit list to be passed to PSNI early next week, and for PSNI to get back to us by Friday with our merit position and with next step instructions. But think that’s being far too ambitious 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

Hi. That's not a bad time at all. In fact it's a very decent time. The fact that you've being able to run over 6 mile shows a good level of fitness in anyone's eyes. I assume that was on a treadmill? Try it on the road/street to see the difference. I try and do a 5 mile loop of the town when I leave the kids in for swimming 3 times a week. On alternate days I do weight training & mountain biking.

Here’s hoping it’s not forever getting though all this! Numbers from 2020 pool still very high! Was in the middle of getting a house then I lost my job…. Back to square one 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Anyone looking hard worker 🤗😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭reddriver

Yeah United are looking a few hard workers don't currently have any 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭reddriver

Joking aside hope you get sorted there's nothing worse than your situation especially in this current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

Hey guys, another vetting questions.

What about if you have been part of a flute band, orange order etc, does that go against you in anyway?

i was in a band that had zero affiliation to any sort of organisation and the band did not carry any flags. I am not in the band and have not been for a couple years now,

I’ve heard it’s fine as long as it’s declared?

can anyone shed some light?

thanks!

When it comes to attesting at the end of GV you will be required to notify the PSNI of membership of the orange order.

Search PSNI and notifiable memberships.

Not sure if it asks about memberships on the vetting forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

I am not a member of anything, I have been part of a flute band.

as of a couple of years ago I’ve no affliction with anything, my question was basically if it would fail the vetting because I have been involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

Totally different questions here guys so please assist any of the q's above that haven't been answered.

1. Regarding vetting - If you have been through the process before or are in the know about how it works, already being a firearms permit holder for a number of years now with clearance for certain MOD ranges also. Will this aid in the speed of my vetting? I can't clearly recall but I would assume there will have been some kind of CTC check done at some stage.
    2. With the current situation on the hill, and the likely hood of anyone from this campaign starting gv until next year some time from what I'm reading (if things go as they are going now) does it not seem a little early for the likes of medicals and fitness checks. Yes I understand things can change quite rapidly and a large influx of recruits may be needed, but say you pass your fitness etc in July and you get the green light but don't get called up till July next year, it would leave a whole 12 months where anything could happen ( loss of fitness due to injury, laziness etc, metal health issue unrecorded before etc etc) Or is there a medical/fitness refresh that is carried out..

To answer the first part, if you have already been CTC your vetting should be quicker it’s not always 100% but the main difference between the sc and CTC is just the fact SC goes more in depth when it comes to finance etc. it’s “technically” the same thing. I’m CTC cleared I’ve just been told to declare that on the vetting forms to make in go quicker.

with regards to people with A*s - As. I do see them beginning their PCA and vetting soon as the 2020 recruitment is starting to thin out. Some people take weeks for vetting to be cleared and others take a year or two. They’ll start that in the coming weeks. I do believe with PCA there is a 3-6 month expiration on that, so I believe you would have to redo it then. It goes the same for the medical etc. it expires after time and you just have to declare if your circumstances change. I hope this atleast answers a bit of what you’re asking

• Advertisement

There’s people part of the orange order within the job I don’t think being part of a flute band would be a problem 🤣

Being a member of a musical group with no subversive connections. No it won't fail your vetting.

You also did ask about the orange order. If you want specific answers ask specific questions.

1. No everyone's vetting is treated as a fresh application.

2. I think they will ring after a certain amount of time to ask if there has been any significant changes to your health. Nearly sure it's a self declaration.

I’ve been told that if you declare your CTC clearance it would be a smoother experience? That’s coming from someone in the job for a good number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

With regards to vetting, I lived abroad for a year (erasmus study programme for university) and if I get my vetting forms before the end of June it will have to be declared as living abroad within 3 years.

Does anyone know if this will slow my vetting forms down substantially? Had no involvement with the police or anything while I was there (didn't do anything stupid) but anxious that this will delay me by quite some time if they have to do the same level of checks in that country or is it more a basic criminal record or lack of criminal record check?

Every application is treated as a fresh application. You don't need to declare what clearences you have. UKSV and PSNI vetting will know.

You are correct in that it can aid in the speed of your vetting process though.

Yeah I know it’ll be treated as a fresh application though I’m pretty sure as you said it speeds it up because it’s mostly done

• Advertisement

Previous clearence allows for crosschecking, but all information will still need validated and searched for as it is still a new application - just to ensure nothing has changed. It does definitely help though.

Advertisement