Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula-E Gen. 3

Options
  • 29-04-2022 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

New car revealed

igloos a lot more staid and plain compared to the current gen 2 car but it will be a lot more advanced faster and the in race fast charging should be interesting and should spice up what have become boring races once again.

I remember the races with the gen 1 car being much more exciting than the current gen 2 car because they had to come in and change cars which was gas but at least it made it exciting.

The current gen two have no reason to pit not for tyres nor anything else so it is and can be very boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The joker lap, ah hem, attack mode, is all that saved the series during Gen 2. At least they are going in the right direction bringing in-race charging - that's the most realistic thing to consider about electric cars on long journeys. Will we see drivers get out and have a cup of tea while queuing up to use the toilets? Or they get to their pit and realise the charger is out of action and they have to drive another 50km to the next service station? I jest of course. I'm not sure how all of this will work, timewise, but does add the extra layers of potential mistakes into a race!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The joker lap, ah hem, attack mode, is all that saved the series during Gen 2.

I actually thought it was a terrible gimmic and could have been done a lot better.

Will we see drivers get out and have a cup of tea while queuing up to use the toilets? Or they get to their pit and realise the charger is out.

I doubt they will be getting out of their cars. These will be very fast wireless chargers I heard. Not quiet sure how they will work yet except that they will have to pit for them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭flazio

First thoughts looking at the car.

The designer was caught out making paper aeroplanes.

Ms

I do not really care as long as it's faster and have a longer range. I am sure the design has something to do with the wireless charging too maybe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nice jet fighter look to it, reminds me of the cars in Wipeout when I played it on the first PlayStation.

• Advertisement

Couple of news pieces coming out for Gen. 3, Andretti will source power trains from Porsche and McLaren will take over the Mercedes-Benz operation.

Ms

Oh are Andrettu coming into Formula E? I did not know that. So Formula E now and Formula 1 in a year or twos time after it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

It makes sense for Mclaren to be in Formula-E after all I think they supply the batteries for Formula-E

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Been there for years. They were BMW's works team before Beemer pulled out

Ms

Awe here is the Gen 3 thread. I even started it lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jv2000

Does anybody know a good news site for FE? I struggle to find the latest info and rely on Autosport mostly.

Seems we have Sette Camara to Nio, Da Costa to Porsche, di Grassi to Mahindra.... and hearing rumours of Turvey or Rosenqvist to McLaren!! I don't really rate Turvey to be honest. Also apparently Frijns will join Abt and de Vries will join Venturi/Maserati. Fenestraz to Nissan e-Dams in place of Guenther.

No news on Vandoorne that I am aware of. A bit surprised he has not been confirmed for McLaren.

Sims and Loterrer confirmed as leaving FE, Guenther looks like he will be pushed out as well.

Ms

No news on Vandoorne that I am aware of. A bit surprised he has not been confirmed for McLaren.

He definitely has a drive for next year I am sure of it.

One of the commentators said it on the last race but I cannot remember who it was he said he was going too.

I too was surprised that he woukd not be racing for Mclaten next year but I guess once stung twice shy or whatever it is.

He probably did not want to race for Mclaren again. I think it might be Mahindra he is going to but could be wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

From what I've heard and the race have also reported that he is going to partner JEV in the new DS Penske team.

Lots of driver announcements. Rene Rast to Mclaren, Norman Nato to ABT, Buemi to Envision and Antonio Felix DaCosta to Porsche.

I think Cassidy and Buemi could be a very strong team if they have the right car. Both very accomplished drivers in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

May TBD dropped. June TBD confirmed for Portland, Oregon (not currently confirmed by first-party sources whether it's city streets, or Portland International Raceway).

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

SEASON NINE, ROUND 1 — 🇲🇽 2023 Hankook Mexico City E-Prix

Gen3 starts in a week and a half! Currently C4 Sport has the streams set up on their channel for this race and the Diriyah double-header.

Online TV listings have not yet updated with the Saturday, so don't know if it'll be on big TV.

Broadcast timetable:

🟢 Race start: 20:00

I am looking forward to seeing how the revised format works, particularly the pitstops! I am also looking forward to the extra power drivers will have, which should bring more overtaking if the tyres aren't up to the challenge!

For the first time in 2023.

It's Race Week.

Attack now on the outside of T15 (previously on the inside of the straight between T14/15)

Currently watching Group A in Quali. Cars looking great with more speed, very tetchy on turn in. Interesting watching the cars reach their adhesion limit. Could be some big spins if someone drops it.

• Advertisement

One McLaren well in the top ten, another well out. It's like the F1 team again.

A bit of excitement in that race. Shame there's no mandatory pit stops which I think would shake things up a bit on track position.

Ms

It was am OK race nothing great. The cars look faster but I still prefer the batman look of the Gen 2 cars compared to the Star Wars X wing Toyota X grill look of these cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

SEASON NINE, ROUNDS 2 & 3 — 🇸🇦 2023 CORE Diriyah E-Prix

As it's Saudi, races are Friday and Saturday, to match the Muslim weekend.

Race distance is 39 laps (97.305km). Reference lap time for added laps is TBD. Attack Mode is in the same place as before on the outside of 19.

Broadcast timetable:

🟢 Race start: 17:00

Looks like Wherlein is becoming a decent driver. Not being too hot headed but more determined in his driving. I think we will have a good championship this year.

Ms

Ye he had a nice win. A pity its never on live hehe. I am not bothered enough with it to try and go to the effort of watching it on You-Tube. The C4 highlights do me grand.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 634 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

He burnt a lot of bridges so I wonder who will take a punt on him in another championship.

Ms

Do you mean if he ever got back into F1? If so I would say probably Porsche when they start in F1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 634 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Yeah F1 or one of the top endurance series.

• Advertisement

It's not the same image, he just swept the weekend 🧹

Advertisement