Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs you'll never see the like of again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Think a fair few shows I was at would have been pulled today for Health & Safety but were great at the time.

Oxegen 2000 - The first one, a modest lineup looking back but was great as it was the start of something new, brilliant weather, Beck/Travis/David Gray/Wilt(Cormac Battle)/OCS

Slane 2001 - Day 1 - Coldplay/RHCP/U2 - Sunny day, Coldplay next big thing, RHCP massive album, U2 homecoming.

Bon Jovi - Thunderstorm gig in RDS in 2000 - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/bon-jovi-1.1261230

David Gray - Hard hat - half a stage - threat of electrocution - Marlay Park 2001 - https://www.hotpress.com/music/gray-pride-1467346

Chris Cornell, Aerosmith - Marlay Park 2007 - My favourite singer live, plus a short set by Aerosmith(which no artist would get away with now for the prices), on a warm summers evening, bliss

Velvet Revolver, Ambassador March 2008, about a week before they broke up, lot of tension, seemingly Duff/Slash knew as much and were saying it to fans after the show

QOTSA - Ambassador 2008 , last real year of full time gigs there I think, we were up by the PA side stage, couldn't hear for a couple of days afterwards. Place was a fire hazard

RATM/ Raconteurs - Oxegen 2008 - Swung by on way home from munster final, wasn't dissapointed

AC/DC - 2009 Point - Unreal, a whole lifetime waiting to see them in the flesh

Faith No More - 2009 Olympia - Probably the best show I've ever seen, just brilliant from start to finish, so long waiting for them to reform after I had grown up with KFAD

Pearl Jam - 2010 Point - Probably at their height, electric, energy in the place was crazy

Stone Temple Pilots - June 2010 - Scott Weiland in his original form, and despite his ongoing drug addictions gave a brilliant showing here with his original bandmates

GnR - Point 2010 - Axl wining and dining in Ballsbridge until 10pm, hit with piss in a bottle, walks off stops outside which half the crowd could see on way back to town, eventually came back on when we were almost home to fulfill contractual obligations, the ginger tw*t - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/sep/03/guns-roses-bottled-offstage-dublin

Numerous others in small venues, favourite would be the academy where was luck enough to see EODM/Black Stone Cherry and Tripod - Presidents of the USA which was one of the best gigs I remeber being to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Rush!

May 12th 2011 O2 Arena Dublin.

10 feet from these guys - awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wasn't the first Oxegen 2004? no, was it not called Witinness Festival in 2000?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I broke my leg at that Faith No More gig in 2009. Tib and fib both split straight in half. Had to be carted off in an ambulance, six months of recovery. Still have a metal bar in my leg to this day.

The worst part about that accident? It happened at approx 08:45pm, 15 minutes before FNM came on stage! Missed the whole gig. 😥

My parents were actually with me and stayed on, said it was one of the best shows of their life. Literally my favourite band at the time at potentially their best show in Ireland and I didn't see any of it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I was at that AC/DC gig in the point. The energy was unbelievable, it was like the roof was going to blow off. Saw them again at Punchestown a few months later, they were excellent again. But seeing them indoors was really special.

They’re touring again. I’m in 2 minds whether to go again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Correct

Witnness 2000-2003; the first three were in Fairyhouse & the 2003 one was Punchestown.

Master of the Universe

Re going to see ACDC this summer, there's a bit of the thread title in it for me - I keep going to see big bands like this that I saw years and years ago in their heyday (or for some at least, pre twilight years!) on some level expecting a similar experience and in the end am left feeling really disappointed.

I'll be giving that one a miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I feel like starting a thread called Gigs you'll never see the prices of again. 😁

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Master of the Universe

Ah man, the pain is real. Did you see the price of ACDC golden circle standing? €400 a ticket!

I was at Depeche Mode the other night and was disappointed by that one too. It was a good gig but the whole time I just stood there thinking it wasn't worth the €240 I paid for two tickets. Real sense of '**** I better have fun, this cost a fortune!' about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If I do go, it’s really just to see if Angus can still do it. Am I curious enough?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

As always, ticketmaster, big greedy corps and venues and lack of alternatives have made most gigs and concerts unlike the past. I remember metallica/darkness and lp. What a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Now I have Hearing Aids , I blame Monday nights , packed into the Marquee Club watching Cream , Gino Washington etc on stage and we paid on the door .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

First concert I went to was INXS in Perth, 1984

So loud my ears were ringing for a while after. After that I started taking earplugs, which proved a good thing for the Cure. Great bands, stupid sound levels.

The last gig i went to was Dead Can Dance in Dublin. They had this wonderful thing where sound engineers recorded the gig and afterwards you could order a properly engineered CD of the concert.

I ordered the CD and months later got it, but I was surprised how few at the gig appeared to be ordering them. Must be an incredibly rare double CD set as only people who went to the concert could get one, and it was cosy venue, and it sounds as stunning as the concert was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭denismc

" Riders on the Storm" with Ray Manazerak and Robbie Krieger, Castlebar 2007

One of the trippiest gigs I was ever at, even though I was stone cold sober at the time, Manazerak was in flying form that night, I can only imagine what the Doors were like at their peak!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Faith No More is a good one too. Doubt we'll ever see them play the Olympia again, I think on that tour they were playing big arenas but then picked Olympia in Dublin for some reason. I've no idea how I lucked out getting a ticket, no one else in my friend group did. Was a great show, the surprise on Mike Patton's face when the crowd sang Midlife Crisis as loud as they did, kind of felt like he started going harder once that happened. Slightly weird end to the set though, not many people seemed to know As The Worm Turns

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Ardgillan was a great setting on a lovely day, good memories . moby didnt go down as good

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Fleetwood Mac full lineup in the O2 was incredible and sadly will never be repeated. I was at the one prior to that also without Christine but this one was a big step up. Think she kept lindseys self involved meanderings in check!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Years ago I saw Stars of the Lid playing in the old Cyprus Avenue, Cork. Given the nature of the material these guys produce this gig was never going to be hype. From listening to their albums for years it was so good sitting there watching and listening to them do their thing (along with a local string trio accompanying). The knowledgable crowd just sat and listened, bliss. Since the sad death of Brian McBride last year at only 53 it's safe to say this experience won't be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

AC/DC at Riverplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭T.V Eye

Did anyone see GBV when they played in 2002?

I managed to see them in London and Barca a few years back, but i was too young for '02.

Don't think we'll see them this side of the Atlantic again, probably one of the most popular indie bands that just don't tour internationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Yeah, i saw them in the Ambassador that time. Tbh i was bored and that's just about all i can remember about it. In fairness though i only went out of curiosity rather than as a genuine fan.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

2007? Caught them in Whelans on that tour. Good gig alright, if a tad odd to be sitting in Whelans!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Getting an early 'Johnny Marr in the Dreamland Ballroom, Athy' shout in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

fair play to your memory, it feels like only a few years ago 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Slane 1 2001 amazing gig. Seen U2 plenty of times since including at the Sphere but nothing compares to that day. RHCP were brilliant too, by the time U2 came out on stage everyone was exhausted. Seen the chilis a few times after that and they were only okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Olympush

Leonard Cohen. National Stadium 1988.

He opened the show with:

”I see Dublin is celebrating its millennium this year. What an honour it is to play in it’s original building.”

He then gave an amazing concert (as always).

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭mgkelly

OMG, forgot about Leonard Cohen. Saw Leonard Cohen at Lisadell House, back in the day. Sun setting, beautiful location, my wife with me (she rarely goes to gigs, but loved Leonard) & boy, it was almost a religious experience. Still get the spinal tingles, thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

I believe I paid £12.50 to see Iron Maiden at the Point Depot in 1990. That would be €15.94, which would be €32.47 today. AC/DC can go and shite.

Gigs I'll never see the like of again? Death in McGonagles in 1992. People weren't stage-diving, they were PA-diving.

Advertisement