Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs you'll never see the like of again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

There's a lot of non-recency bias so gonna try counter it with some 2010 on.

I wasn't at it but by most accounts Rammstein in the O2 back in '12, insane pyro indoors ..will even more insane pyro outdoors in June make up for it I'm not sure.

Ratm in the O2 2010...just **** bonkers I thought crowds like that were a thing of the past even back then.

Faith no mores comeback in the olympia in '09...there's probably a show in the early 90s to match but I'm too young for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Jackson Browne either Olympia/Gaeity, about 2004 (not sure), absolute masterclass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Interesting interview with an Irish music promoter who put on some famous names ( and an exclusive Def Leppard gig ) when they were starting out:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

He did the Olympia in 2003 with the band and 2004 solo acoustic. I suspect it's the latter you're referring to. Magnificent.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭mgkelly

Prince, Parc Ui Caoimh, many many years ago, with my sister. Got a bus from Omagh->Dublin then another to Cork! Majestic!! Great memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rush in 2011 in the 3Arena (then The 02 Dublin)

Magical night and sadly same as Prince who knew it would be the last time we saw 'Neil Peart' rip

Was the only time they played Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Beastie Boys in the main tent at Electric Picnic 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Arthurs Days past... Snow Patrol in the Odeon, Emile Sande in Dakota.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Slane 2003 for me. What a lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭mgkelly

Stone Roses - Maysfield Leisure Centre, Belfast - one of my first gigs ever, & was highly exciting for me! Probably never feel that level of excitement again. Then, as the first few chords of I Wanna be Adored ring out, well.....!!

David Bowie - Westpac Stadium, Wellington, NZ, 14.2.2004 - this was so bloody exciting! Pished rain all through it, but didn't care! Blew me away! Massive fan since then. It was just an opportunistic thing at the time. So glad I went.

Morrissey - Omagh Leisure Centre (my home town) (2009) - if someone had told me when I was growing up that I'd get to see Morrissey in my home town, I'd have said to get outta here! It was suitably surreal!

MBV, Mandela Hall, Belfast (1992) - what is this music?! Magical. Had tinnitus for 2 days afterwards.

Blur, same venue (1991) - they were touring Leisure at the time, & were quite indie/shoegaze almost. Memorably, a friend who went with me said they'd never amount to much!

Ride, same venue (1990) - look at the setlist! Supported by the superb Bleach (from Ipswich). This cemented my 'black' phase, where I was very shoegaze-y w/ a touch of goth.

The Divine Comedy - in a park in Omagh, in the summer of 1988 or 1989, I'm pretty certain! Neil Hannon is from Enniskillen, & I am almost sure he played as part of a local music festival in the town one summer, on a bandstand in the Grange Park. Or maybe that was a dream!

REM, supported by Oasis, Slane, 1995 - memorable as my youngest brother attended with me & he was mesmerised by the whole experience!

Sigur Ros, Madison Square Garden (2013) - a mesmerising band, in a very memorable, iconic venue - wondrous!

....amongst probably many others I've forgotten...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

Def Leppard were living over here as were plenty of others for the favourable artistic tax rate which kind of helped. I saw them in front of a few hundred in McGonagles and a few days later they were in front of the world at Wembley Stadium playing at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. He seems like a good soul. Have to disagree on the "Modern Music is shyte" narrative. And "dance" music in Waterford - god knows what shyte they were getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Few from me (some already mentioned)

Radiohead - South Park, Oxford (2001) - it's unlikely they will play a headlining show that size again (it's up in the air if they will ever play again tbh), had a great line up (Sigur Ros, Beck, Supergrass) and they unexpectedly played Creep.

Beastie Boys - Electric Picnic (2007) - yeah the 1st show was great when the tent was rammed but the 2nd show the day after was better. Not as busy and the band were relaxed and having fun playing some stuff they didn't normally play. Obviously they will never play again but I am so grateful I got to see them.

Arcade Fire - Electric Picnic (2005) - Funeral took off between the time AF were booked and EP and they somehow ended up in the Electric Arena. The place was rammed and I've never felt energy like it at a festival show before or since.

Sigur Ros - Paramount Theatre, Seattle (2023) - Sigur Ros with a full orchestra, unlikely we'll ever see this again but it was magical and pretty different to a typical Sigur Ros show.

Squarepusher: Shobaleader One - Imperial, Vancouver (2017) - Squarepusher with a full live band playing all the hits. It was amazing to witness but unlikely they will ever play as a band again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Actually they played the Electric Arena twice that weekends.

They were the surprise guest the next morning as well. I went along expecting something different. They played the exact same set to about 500 people. It was amazing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

“Beastie Boys - Electric Picnic (2007) - yeah the 1st show was great when the tent was rammed but the 2nd show the day after was better. Not as busy and the band were relaxed and having fun playing some stuff they didn't normally play. Obviously they will never play again but I am so grateful I got to see them.”

They played a different set?? No way. In my head it was exactly the same. Mind you, I slept about 3 hours that weekend so I’m an unreliable source.

That was the greatest Picnic of them all. Beastie Boys, The Stooges, Bjork and the beer cups with the sun face on them. It was a magical one. It was the last festival my whole friend group was together for. We all started missing the odd one until none of us went anymore.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They played the Little Big Tent the first time and the Electric Arena tent on the Sunday.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Whoever did that scheduling needs their head examined. There were more people outside the tent than inside for the evening set.

I was about 4 from the front by the second song. After starting outside the tent.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Yeah they definitely played 2 different sets - the 2nd set was always planned and was more focused on their instrumental work (they had just released The Mix Up). I seem to recall that both sets were in the Electric Arena, I think the 2nd set may have been on earlier than scheduled, I remember waiting for some food at a food stall near the arena and suddenly realising that they were playing. The time was probably changed to avoid overcrowding again.

Here are the 2 sets

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beastie-boys/2007/stradbally-hall-stradbally-ireland-63d3128b.html

Agree that 2007 was one of the better ones. I went every year from 2005-2008. By 2008 felt like it had lost it's charm and started to feel a bit unsafe (to me anyway). I don't live in Ireland anymore but I wouldn't bother with it now even if I did live nearby.

I went back and checked the 2007 thread - looks like they were scheduled for and played Electric Arena on Saturday. The Sunday show was originally scheduled for Crawdaddy stage but it was changed to Electric Arena (with no notice). I do remember EA being very empty for them at the start, I think it filled up pretty well by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

It was also pissing rain at the time so a lot of bewildered folks popped in for shelter and copped that the Beasties were in full flow

I missed the previous night coz I left it too later to get into EA so was delighted when they shifted Sunday gig to bigger tent

They talk about that w.end and getting totally whacked out of it in the excellent Beastie Boy Book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Not to derail the thread but I'd love to read the thread about the dead kennedys that the OP mentioned but I can't seem to find it. Would anyone know what the thread was called or have a link? Tks.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It was a discussion about the most recent Dead Kennedys line up when they were touring, I think @NewbridgeIR had started it, if you look at the date of the opening post for this thread you should be able to find the Dead Kennedys thread from around the same date. I was inspired when Newbridge put up the Youtube clip I think of their 1984 gig and found the early Birthday Party footage.

Actually just found the thread. It was @Penfailed who actually started that thread and it was Newbridge who embedded that clip.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Not a dance head but I believe the scene was good in the 90s and some big acts played. Came across this :

was at that...

That was a great spot for gigs... the Australian Doors were there - Immense gig... And 'No way Sis' ... lead singer tantrums included as well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

in the dust masks ..... 🤣

WTF was that about ????

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭well24

Unfortunately will never get to hear the likes of this again, or alot of the above concerts from 70's, 80's, 90's, and even some in 00's

All the crap thats produced nowadays is just not comparable... Sure their are plenty of smaller bands that are decent but you never get to hear of them ,and they definitely would not be doing world tours :)

I pity the youth of today, they dont know what they missed...

The youth...

But shur they get to rap about b1tches, and ho's ......

🙄💬🎧️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 MacPint

Memorable gigs for me:

The Foo’s at Tennants Vital up in Belfast back in 2012.

Wolfe Tones at EP last year.

Roisin Murphy at EP 2014.

The Cure at Malahide 2019.

Advertisement