Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs you'll never see the like of again.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oh sorry for you, Oisín but I love this story!

Especially the bit where your parents stayed on and told you, no doubt after surgery, that it was one of the best shows of their life! 🙈

Am still smiling at that but they obviously knew you were being well cared for? And had their priorities right :)

How did you manage to break it.. were you crowd surfing or jumping from a height, if you don't mind saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Far less energetic than that I'm afraid!

It was 8:40pm, we had a great spot right up the front and I realised I was dying for a pee just as the show was about to start.

Left my folks and my girlfriend there, said I'd be back in a sec and walked up to the men's loo beside the bar.

Walked out of the loo, walked forward about three paces towards the stage and slipped on someones spilled drink. Unfortunately it was also where there's a bit of a slope.

My left foot rotated right while the rest of my leg went forward and left down the slope and my tib and fib both snapped in half.

Crazy thing was I ended up on my bum on the floor and not a single person had seen me fall (all too busy looking at the stage!) I had to crawl over to a person, tug on their trouser leg and they looked down. Of course they immediately tried to help me up, which resulted in much screaming as I didn't realise I'd actually broken my leg.

In summary, be careful where you spill your drinks folks :eek:. Crazy how such a small thing can have such a big impact on someone.

I did travel to see FNM in Hyde Park in 2014 with my folks. They tried to pretend it was as good as the first gig but I could see the truth in their eyes 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oh no you poor thing!

It can happen easily enough alright, one wrong turn and a slip. For people like me anyway.

There was I imagining you crowdsurfing and being dropped , and carted off in an ambulance, all while your parents were bopping away, oblivious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was at Witnness in 2003 (?) and it was coming down in sheets near the car-park and we dashed over to the nearest tent for cover, which was that same circus tent. Only just squeezed in past the water running off the sides. We only then realised it Ocean Colour Scene playing that same tent. The humidity off the crowd was excessive, no drying was done, but the set warmed me up no end.

Was anybody at The National in 'the point' in Sept '23? I went only knowing two songs and not much of the band's history. I'll put it down as probably musically and in terms of sound the best gig I've been at. Their songs have a wonderful dynamic which fits well to the live-stage and it's a visual wonder in terms of the arrangement and the multi-talented musicians. I was very lucky to be seated directly in front of the stage and with their sound setup the individual instruments were very well defined in the stereoscopic sense; very very difficult to reproduce that definition and Spector-esque Wall of Sound on a home system given the amount of channels. Listening since to Spotify or other recordings, it's only a third of the experience - the same depth isn't there. Very good band for a live-set.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Body Count (Ice-T) on Stephens Day, 1995.

They took the roof off the place, sweat dripping from the ceiling. The back was a big row of Garda waiting for it to kick off after all the contraversy around Cop Killer but in the end it went off without any drama.

Great gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was at the National gig last year. I loved it immensely. But I missed the first half hour, which was a real bummer, as I was really into their new stuff.

You're right. The sound was perfect. And the overall atmosphere was great. Great that you enjoyed, and not being that familiar with the songs. I find that a lot of their songs sound quite samey on first listen. But after a few listens, the songs differentiate into their own identities. Out of the newer stuff, I really like Weird Goodbyes. And Alien is very good too.

I was watching this during the week. I love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1jbtlYcWng

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The National last year as a gig you'll never see the likes of again is a bit of a stretch, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭tommythecat

The National in Whelan's touring alligator however! Now that was a gig!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Iron Maiden in 1990 was my first ever gig as a teenager, unreal night. Second gig I was ever at was indeed Death at McGonagles and I was still a school going teenager. So glad I got to see these gigs at such a young age and had no idea at the time just how important it was to attend the Death gig in McGonagles. I remember the PA diving and a massive circle of Death, crazy atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ms34

I think this was 1993. Amazing gig. A few years back they were playing in Prague and I was staying in the same hotel as the band by chance. Got chatting a couple of times to one their crew and he invited me to the gig, backstage and all that but my gf refused to go. She had booked a fancy restaurant for us the same night. I was gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

You're right sorry, it was 1993, the SFX.

Funnily enough I met them that day (minus Ice-T) in Stephens Green, huge crew of them - they were not hard to miss walking around Dublin in 93.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I remember those Bodycount gigs - couldn’t go as had to go home for Christmas. I first heard them in Fibbers April 1992. “Tell us what to do. F*CK YOU”

The DJ who played the track was the long-haired guy who worked in Borderline. I bought the LP there the following week. It had Cop Killer on it. Sound quality not great as each side had nearly 30 minuted of music. Brought it down to Wexford and played it for my friends. They all loved it and wanted to own it so when I got back to Dublin, I bought five more vinyl copies from Borderline.

It was kind of an anthem for us that summer. I put on an indie disco in a hotel and it caused a riot. Someone else brought it to the Mercy debs (nuns) and got the DJ to play it. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was at that Iron Maiden gig as well. i think it was the one where Bruce Dickinson announced that his wife had had a baby the night before. I was right at the front when they came onstage and there was a mad rush and half the crowd fell over and I was at the bottom of a pile of bodies and couldn't move or breath for what fell like ages until lads started picking each other up off the floor. One of the most frightening experiences of my life.

I remember they threatened to walk off stage at the start if they kept getting spat on. I remember clearly Dave Murray getting hit by this huge piece of spit that seemed to travel in slow motion over the heads of the crowd and onto him.......the look of disgust on his face. I was at Anthrax in the Top Hat in the 80's when they walked off due to spitting. Could never work out why you would spit on one of your favorite bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think it was a punk or skinhead thing to do back then and I suppose there was a lot of crossovers from metal and the like. I remember folk spitting at Nick Cave back in the early eighties with the Birthday Party, spitting apparently was a mark of respect from the punks and skinheads.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It was a culture in the 80s , violence and spitting in the 80s dublin music scene is a thread documentary in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭corm500

This is one gig that I will never see the likes of again. Add to that the roasting weather and the complete lack of assholes. Everyone just there for the music and the laid back vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rainagain

I spent a lot of hours in Borderline, Motley was the skinny long haired guy and Derek I think was the owner.... Hadn't thought about that place in years, thanks for the reminder - great memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That's right. Derek was the owner. He used to own Razor Cuts which became DTK (both in Abbey Mall). Borderline opened in 1991 as far as I remember. Was a great shop for new releases and used 98 cent rather than 99 cent in pricing. Indie 12" singles were frequently reduced to £1.98 fairly fast after release. I remember getting The Fall's Infotainment Scan and Wedding Present Watusi there on vinyl - in both instances, they only got one copy in and I was there when the boxes were being opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

The amount of money i spent in there. One day they asked me was i a dj (i wasn't at that point) because i used to regularly buy a lot and it was varied. Used to knock a few quid off sometimes or give me loads of plastic outer sleeves. Great shop and staff.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

I had no-one to go with at short notice and took my 12 year old son at the time to that at his first concert. Amazing. Christine was incredible.

his next concert was Roger water’s and the Wall (if I have my sequencing right!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement