Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gigs you'll never see the like of again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I was there....

I drove to Fairyhouse first !! then had to bomb it to Punchestown.

Remember it very well.. As was said, just drove up, and walked in right near the stage..

Can remember all those visuals on the screens behind, and Paranoid Android was amazing .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Ahh Kerbdog..

Saw them in The Roxy in Waterford.

Standing in front of Cormac Battle amazed at him playing a right handers guitar upside down ! (hes left handed)

His mam was there, and i showed her where the toilets were (upstairs, up those deadly steps!!)

Still have the signed set list ... Loved them!!!

Saw them at Feile (?) in early 90s and then followed them. Have the 12" Dummy Crusher single with the fighting Irish picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Funny, I just see that the Twitter founder was listening to Kid A when tweeting this. He's just raging he missed that concert in Kildare too !

I think he meant to say he loves Radiohead. 😊

Yes.. That was a strange (amazing) tour..

They played the Metroland in Waterford also !!

Saw them all up outside Supermacs in Red sq after it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Actually their are some hilarious music based responses to the above tweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Saw the velvet underground in Paris sometime in the 90's.

They were supporting U2 on the Zoo Tv tour, I think they broke up again mid-tour. 😆

I missed the recent Sparks gig in vicar st so flew to Berlin on Sunday and saw them there.

They were absolutely incredible.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nice to see most of this full clip up but you'll never see the likes of this Deep Purple MK2 line up again, Blackmore these days is very reluctant to play live preferring to play the Lute in eloquent castles and the great Jon Lord has passed a while now. Deep Purple - Speed King.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watched The Sparks Brothers doc. on Netflix - great stuff.

Not sure if you've seen this : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Wv9Va2T-CnI

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

Death in McGonagles, February 1992. People were jumping off the top of the PA into the crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OopW-6P-EE0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I was at The Metroland. AKA The Vicks Experience.

Cocteau Twins supported The Birthday Party in 1982 in Glasgow, but I can barely remember their gig although I did enjoy it but I had no idea at the time who they were. I went with a mate who was an avid John Peel listener and I started listening to the Peel show too and it was then I realised the Cocteau Twins influence. A cross between ambient indie rock with layers of guitar and Gothy I suppose (a lot of their fan base at the time were so) but they stood out from the pack with a unique and original sound. The almost beatless Victorialand is one of my all time favourites and I really wish I did pay more attention to that gig. For that beautiful music as such to come out of a town as ugly as Grangemouth in Scotland, the Cocteau Twins were very unique indeed. Video degradation has seemed to come into this 18 minute clip sourced it seems from an old VHS video tape, but clips of the early eighties Cocteau Twins are fairly rare as it is. Video quality aside it still sounds very nice.

Grangemouth.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Siouxsie & The Banshees at the SFX, 1985

Cocteau Twins at the SFX, 1986

Both gigs were "full of goths" according to eyewitnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Brilliant stuff, BD. I dusted off Heaven or Las Vegas last weekend. What a band. I see Liz has new music out with her bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rodney Crowell in 2001 at a tiny venue Shelter, or The Shelter….here is a guy winning Grammys, kicking it with the Cash’s… and in a year or two become the darling of the alt. Country scene but slumming it in a pub in Dublin… next stop was Vicar St….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Ah, The Shelter, I saw some good gigs in there. It was a tiny room that was part of Vicar St. Not too dissimilar to Crawdaddy in the Red Box/Tripod.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

I mentioned Loop earlier, turns out they have announced a gig in Whelans on October 8th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Daft Punk Marley Park 2006.

For the age we were at & the atmosphere that was created, the lucky weather (no wind) pre Get Lucky, the bass, the pyramid, the mystery and the anonymity behind the suits, the close encounters build up, the robot noises, the constant crescendos when it was presumed it couldn't get better, the mixes of familiarity all of a sudden new. Very European. Very professional. Very slick, Very absorbing and perfect for Daft Punk fans and equally for people that never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thanks, yes that’s right, think it ended up as part of one of the bars / backstage areas but I stand to be corrected.

Yep, got my ticket last week. I have seen them once since they reformed (Liverpool Psych Fest a few years ago), they've still got it. Obviously they are helped greatly by having Hugo and Wayne of The Heads in their ranks 😁😎

• Advertisement

I saw Loop back in the late eighties in Glasgow supporting Thee Hypnotics, a pretty amazing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

I think any Prodigy gig from the 90s would make the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The who Giants Stadium 80000+...

Martin Hayes Manorhamilton about 100...

Class. Never got to see Thee Hypnotics (or Black Moses, Jim Jones' next band). I have seen The Jim Jones Revue though. They would've gone down well at a festival i reckon, high-octane rock n roll. Split up now i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Pearl jam slane 1993.

45 minute set and they blew everyone away. Even that gobshite Neil young couldn't compete.

Michael Jackson 1989 cork. Say what you like about the guy but he knew how to put on a show. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Albert Hammond Glor Ennis only a few years ago...

Oasis point depot...

Randy Newman Vicar st...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭whomadewho

Rage against the Machine, 02 Dublin 2010.

There was 10 of us, all lost our jobs in construction because of the financial crash. I can still feel the adrenaline of that gig now.

It was mental from start to finish, the best gig I have ever witnessed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Phenomenal gig. They played most of the Bends that night too.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tool are averaging out aged 60 now might never see a gig like last night again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I actually thought they were a bit below par that night,I thought the gig at the point during The Hail to The Thief tour was better.

Having said that at Punchestown I thought Clinic ,who played support was class

Post edited by Mike Guide 69 on

Advertisement