Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yakov -

Palani referred to his Islamic beliefs as sick “excuses” for his subhuman brutality.

He was a very regular attendee at his local mosque, well known to the Imam and local Muslims.

It is reported he attended the mosque after savagely murdering his victims.

In these circumstances...

If there is silence from Islamic authorities in this country, on these barbaric murders, people will draw their own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

This savage* will be out in 20 years so since the life sentence is concurrent?

So he'll be a free man in his forties, maybe earlier (good behaviour etc). Younger than his victims.

Jaysus.

*his acts were the definition of savagery, so I'm sure I'm good with the auld hate speech laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

“Some say we should throw them from a high place, like God did with the people of Sodom.

Some say we should burn them.... The important thing is to treat this act as a crime.”

To quote Yusuf Al Qaradawi, the head of the fatwa council in Ireland and indeed all of Europe for most of Sunni Islam and probably the most influential Sunni scholar in the last century.

There might be disputes about the killing, that it should be state action. Depends on what example or quote from mohamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A draft law for implementing the death penalty is currently is going through their parliament in Iraq.

He'd be out the same day and have a party thrown for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eirpod99

As you may know, in this country, they would usually be of a republican persuasion but yeah, it is a question that has not been given much air time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Caquas

Do you mean Palani is not a "serial killer" because he wasn't charged with attempted murder in the case of Anthony Burke?

Or do you mean that he's not a "serial killer" because Anthony Burke does not count as a victim?😡

Or do you mean the Gardai caught him before he could graduate to "serial killer" status?

Or do you mean that, with regard to crime, words now means whatever the FBI/Wikipedia say they mean, and not their plain English meaning?

Or is there a magic "rule of three" that killers must follow if they want to be called "serial killers"?👿

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

By the generally accepted definition, he thankfully did not reach the point where he'd be classified as a serial killer. Meanwhile the fact it was very much so a hate crime appears to be irking posters as it's a concept they reject, the Gardai appear to view it as such. (Not referring to you)

Shaykh Dr Umar Al-Qadri has issued a statement strongly condemning Palani and sympathising with the victims families.

He supports the strictest punishment and calls for the perpetrator to be deported if legally possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes. Serial killers need to kill three people to be a serial killer. That's the definition of one. That's why people who kill two people are not called serial killers.

There's also definitions for stuff like spree killers.

Yes, if he's killed one more he would have "graduated" to being a serial killer.

You seem to be very angry against definitions. It doesn't mean the guy's not bad. The fact that the label of serial killer can't be applied doesn't make him better or less nasty. It's just a term that's used.

And if you mean words mean whatever the "FBI/Wikipedia" say, well yes, they do. The FBI are experts in this. Wikipedia don't make stuff up, they say stuff and cite official sources. And if the majority of law enforcement and psychologists use that definition, then it's the definition.

There have been plenty of "Christians" who targeted gay men or sex workers. Many were serial killers. He also claimed that he heard voices and that he was insane. I don't think we can trust anything he said. And don't use the actions of one sick fcuk to label an entire culture.

And btw, if you'd read any of the stories you'd see that the gardai actually praised the islamic and immigrant community for their assistance.

I read this morning that the family didn't use banks and they were incredibly frugal. So that's the life savings of a whole family. It wasn't his money, it's just money they found in the house. The gardai investigated and found there was nothing wrong with the source of the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

If they’re on social welfare it’s called hiding their assets. If they’re in a council house it should be immediately allocated to someone else.

I don’t know enough about Islam/Mohammed/Quran views on gay people -

but I’ve read horrific news reports about how the likes of Saudi, Iran and ISIS treat LGBT ppl - nothing short of barbaric.

It would be good to hear clear and utter condemnation from the Mosque this murderer attended.

if the mosque stays silent, Ppl will draw their own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

This is amazing. I sometimes wonder who exactly is typing some of the incredible things I read online. There's definitely a person somewhere writing this. That blows my mind. What exactly is this guy like in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You're making this way too unnecessarily confusing

If the gardai discovered a crime, I'm sure they would have reported it.

Then go look for it. However according to this article there isn't an iman at that mosque. And the Irish Council of Imams condemned the murders when they happened.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41254303.html

I would recommend reading that article though. The parents sound like complete weirdos. Palani's teachers all describe him as extremely intellectually challenged.

I have no idea why he developed the way he did. It could be that he was exposed to homophobia and was gay himself, so learned to hate himself. But honestly, anything I come up with is armchair psychology from someone who's seen a few movies/tv shows and has read a few wikipedia articles. Take it with a barrel, not a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What definition of serial killer do you subscribe to ? And why ? And do you think it makes sense for this specific case given the additional facts we have for this case ? Additional facts being attempted murder on someone else and an intent to kill even more people.

This allows for 2 or more people ...

Also I find the sneering remarks from some people here as basically "I'm all right Jack" comments.

Which I find sickening considering what has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

Anyone heard Kieran Rose (a well-known campaigner for LGBT rights) being interviewed on RTE shortly before 9am this morning? Rose was perfectly reasonable in most respects, acknowledging how homophobia has in general become totally unacceptable. He and the interviewer went on about this for a while, but you would think that Pelani was just any old killer. No mention by interviewer or interviewee of his being Muslim, and apparently influenced by Islamist ideology.

Mustn't be Islamophobic! 🌙

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Caquas

I’m not “very angry against definitions” 🤔 but I object to your effort to deny that Palani was a serial killer.

The FBI or Wikipedia are not the arbiters of the English language. A sad day if they ever were. The FBI have no authority whatsoever in this case.

My questions, which you can’t answer, show that the FBI’s definition is clearly inappropriate to this case.

Let us speak honestly and frankly about Yousef Palani - he was not just a “bad guy”, he was a serial killer who targeted gay Irish men and would have killed many more if his first victim had not survived and helped track him down.

The reason they have three is because it's low enough to show a pattern. And the killings generally have to be spread apart. Otherwise it's a spree killer. In this case I'm honestly not sure if these were close enough together to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Was he not having sex with them, before killing them?

would that not rule out radicalization?

or was he watching too much southpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Who was the last person in Ireland, before him, who killed people specifically because they said their religious beliefs instructed them to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

I don't think that rules out radicalization. There are homosexual people in all countries, in all societies, in all religions. You can find examples of American conservative "anti-gay" Christians being exposed as homosexual, Ted Haggard etc.

We're getting into the realms of mind-reading here, but its not a stretch to say that this dichotomy and possible self-loathing could have deepened his religious fanaticism.

we are saying that he got this money, which he didn't even use

this is the radicalization angle

heres 400k go kill some gay people?

did they know he was gay himself?

doesn't make a pile of sense

i know there are gay people everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Ok so he's a arsonist too, how's that? Yeah he doesn't fit the definition, but I for whatever reason I have a bizarre desire to label him as such so I'm going with that. Serial killer arsonist. Insider trader too, why not?

Thanks for sharing the link - informative article

the entire family sound extremely dodgy - how many more dangerous murderers are running around this country?

they arent murders until they murder someone, so not many seems to be the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

He tried, but failed to kill the first man.

He killed no.2

He killed no.3.

He showed no. 1 a list of men.

It is a reasonable conclusion that he planned to kill more.

He is not an asylum-seeker.

The GAA club own the house.

I'm guessing the Co. Co. pay the rent to the GAA landlord.

The 357k remains a mystery. CAB are investigating.

One suggestion is that it was accumulating over 20 years of social welfare payments for the large family.

Another suggestion is that they brought it from Iraq.

I suggest that the State revokes the acquired citizenship of this person, and then after the jail sentence, deports him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Plus, we shouldn't be handing out Irish citizenship so easily; this has always appalled me. Such a stupid, soft-touch country Ireland has become. It's one I've no love for anymore. It's not my Ireland.

Advertisement