Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,957 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What article are you referring too exactly, also its not a Home Owner who applies for HAP, it the person renting it . You seem to be referring to a statement made by the Red Cross and the last time I checked, they don't dictate legislation in Ireland .

I'm not doubting something will come in but pledges were NOT made on the basis of rental income, indeed they were made on the basis of FREE & Temporary accommodation.

As it stands, HAP in its current form would be near impossible to get for a legally defined refugee but as I've also said ,,legislation can be changed and like many other things that have happened, all its seems is the stroke of a pen is required 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Processed 🤔 that is being done at Air and sea ports by all accounts, I don't consider 2 years Temporary and anyone thinking these people are going back to Ukraine any time soon is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SpiderSpider

You’d have to commend the people the signed up to take strangers in with little or no English into there house for free. It would be a huge cost to house these people and it’s a great gesture from some great people.

My only gripe is that it’s getting the Gov out of a hole that they got themselves into again by playing the good boys of Europe. These useless politicians should be forced to solved this problem before promising to house 200k people while we’re in a housing crisis.  This might be the only way they’ll build houses, just to save face in front of the big boys of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Those houses will be full with the contents of the owner who is in a nursing home. And the reality is that many of them will be in poor condition and some will possibly be in locations where there will be no resources for Ukranians.........e.g. down a farmer's lane miles away from the nearest town or village.

Forget about the Fair Deal houses. They won't be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm inclined to agree. It is sad to see people sniping away, probably motivated out of self interest & jealousy. It's almost as if they'd prefer if the Russians just steamrollered Ukraine and absorbed it, to protect their own situation.

These are war refugees and they fully deserve our compassion and help, even if it hits us in our pockets, as it will. I'm sure some may wish to stay here permanently and that can be dealt with in time, but the majority will surely seek to return to their native country. I certainly would if in their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Irish Times 14 March: Will homeowners receive financial support?

The accommodation can be provided on a charitable basis, or the homeowner can request to receive the housing assistance payment (Hap), according to the Irish Red Cross. Hap is a payment from local authorities to landlords letting to tenants who receive social housing support, to cover a portion or all of the rent.

Refugees will be entitled to social welfare so may be able to contribute towards electricity and gas bills, an Irish Red Cross spokesman said.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/refugee_status_and_leave_to_remain/accommodation_for_refugees.html

Convention refugees, people given subsidiary protection or permission to remain

If you have been granted international protection (refugee status or subsidiary protection) or permission to remain and you have been living in a direct provision accommodation centre, you will have to leave that centre and move into other accommodation. Most centres allow people to stay after they get their status because it is difficult to find housing.

You can apply for social housing or look for private rented accommodation. If you were already living in private rented accommodation, your change of status will not affect your immediate housing circumstances.

Social housing

Local authorities are the main providers of social housing for people who cannot afford to pay for private rented accommodation or buy their own homes. Local authority housing is allocated according to eligibility and need. Rents are based on the household’s ability to pay. Housing associations and housing co-operatives also provide social housing.

To apply for social housing you must register at the office of your local authority to go on the waiting list for housing. The local authorities have a number of housing options depending on your income level and housing need.

The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a form of social housing support for people who have a long-term housing need. To qualify you must be on the local authority’s housing list – which means that you qualify for social housing support. Under HAP you must find your own private rented accommodation - the local authority will not source it for you. The local authority makes the HAP payment to your landlord on your behalf. You pay a weekly HAP rent contribution to the local authority, based on your household’s weekly income and your ability to pay.

As you can see HAP is available. This isn't new news. The only requirement is that they put their name on the housing list. They are then entitled to apply for HAP. They are entitled to full social welfare benefits. The exact same ones as Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,997 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They're fleeing from war and you're worried about rabies. ffs. First world problems.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

it will be used to process people if the airport processing is overwhelmed ., It actually says that in the report . There is a no mention of anyone staying in City West for two years is there ? It is intended as a short term solution until accommodation is found

Again, a lot of

You Can

You May

Nothing definitive and definitely no certainties.

It's exactly the same as government having to scramble to insure peoples SW Payments would not be impacted if they welcome people into their homes. Like the Fair deal properties that can't be used , like it becoming abundantly clear a home already under a rental agreement could not be used and for a host of reason's, like insurance and public liability issues, like a vetting process required that no one initially thought about , it's beggars belief.

Basically cart before the horse approach.

Have you wondered why the Government are now focusing on Hotels as the preferred option 🤔, it's easy , it avoids all the legal and statutory requirements around housing people in private accommodation.

Pledges were all well and good bit utterly impractical.

GOVERNMENT promised the sun, moon and stars and are now offering Travel Lodge style accommodation if your lucky 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 40,997 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm ashamed to be Irish when I read what some people come out with on threads like this. Truly truly ashamed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It's been announced city west will be used for two years , I'm not referring to any reports, just the announcement. Of course its possible refugees might just stay for a few weeks or months and them get offered one of these magical homes the government seem to be hiding from us 🙄

I guess those already in Direct provision Hotels could throw some light on this, some in their delightful accommodation, 3 to 4 years .

We have pledged a vacant house which would house a family or two friends with children , my friend have pledged a lovely granny flat and another friend a house . None of us have heard anything from the Red Cross yet which is very frustrating when we see people living in a hotel room close by

I fully understand that admin is overwhelmed but a its still frustrating to these homes empty

Yes used for two years doesnt mean that anyone will be there for two years . It will used as a temporary accommodation until they can be moved elsewhere .

Jasus youd argue with your own shadow. Just to be clear. The Red Cross in the Irish Times I linked didn't say maybe, if, but. They clearly stated the fact that the refugees are entitled to HAP. The citizens information website states the same.

Before any refugees even landed in Ireland the government said (Leo I believe) that they will be able to avail of all social benefits just like any Irish person. They aren't on refugee payments like refugees have been before them. They are effectively being treated as EU citizens for the next few years. Children allowance, lone parents, back to school HAP. They are allowed to work full or part time.

You say I don't understand HAP. I am a landlord and I have worked with St Vincent De Paul. I'm very familiar with HAP from both sides.

I have provided links yet you claim that laws will need to be changed before they can get HAP. Can you shed more light on this vague claim that you keep repeating? Just because you don't want it to be so, doesn't mean that it isn't so.

OK, let's assume it's only temporary and that's a big assumption. Say in a month, 2 months were exactly are these refugees going 🤔, certainly not home , its abundantly clear the pledge concept is falling apart and was never a realistic option. We know there's practically zero housing availability so even being hopelessly ambitious and as Peter Mc Verry said last weekend "There's not a Hope in Hell" all these people can be housed, I don't think it unreasonable to assume they'll end up in Hotels for a minimum of a year and more likely longer.

So what is your solution for women , children , elderly and disabled fleeing from a horrendous war ? Where would you put them ? How would you help them get shelter , food Etc ? What would your plan be for these poor people with nowhere to go ?

The Red Cross /government have been slow off the mark on this one unfortunately. This encouraged people to arrange for their own refugees through Facebook. They got in touch with Facebook groups on mainland Europe. The problem I have with this is that the refugees weren't matched with the right families in some cases. This is why some were asked to leave. None of these homes are police vetted because they didn't go through the Red Cross

You clearly won't accept the Benefits system Ireland is complex , I've not doubted all the promises made. You refer to statements, articles, citizens information all marvellous but in practice none of what's being promised easy to implement.

Citizens formation is an excellent resource but not always correct , do you believe everything you read in a newspaper 🤔 and as I've said the Red Cross is an NGO and I might add have little or no experience operating in Ireland a fact their spokesperson admitted freely and they certainly don't dictate policy.

This all said, it's clear to me, Government realising belatedly this is a train wreck and moving to a direct provision model but of course won't admit it . There's numerous hotels already block booked .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Very much admire those with the capacity and generosity to take people in, it was a rush situation understandably. They should get some kind of support for doing so, especially in the context of where utility bills are at the present time. Imagine it probably doubling or more from present usage with prices already through the roof. I’d really struggle to pay them alongside everything else. Food is another one

Unfortunately the Red Cross were not equipped or have the manpower to deal with the numbers . It seems to me the task was dumped on them to deal with the pledges of accommodation without the wherewithal to actually cope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The very same plan I'd offer Yemeni, Syrians, Iraqis, Accommodation, Food and Shelter and equal treatment . Bit of course they don't look like us do they, the Hypocrisy is breathtaking.

People seem to be getting offended by hard facts , Ukrainian refugees are heading to Hotels and despite the clear evidence people are in denial and then assume when it's pointed out, there's an anti refugee stance. There are no homes, the pledge concept a nonsense. I've not once said they are not welcome , I'm simply pointing out the promises made are simply Ludicrous and not a second of thought went into this by government, I'll say it again, Have a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

What astonishes me about all this is the fact that while the Government falls over itself promising to take in Ukrainian refugees, we still have an unacceptable number of Irish citizens sleeping in doorways the length and breadth of the country. Where's the political and public will to deal with this? Have all of our existing homeless population suddenly been housed overnight or something? Why wasn't Citywest pressed into action after we started finding homeless people dead in doorways? Of course I'll probably be called a racist now for asking this.

And your point is exactly 🤔 the red Cross is a world renowned organisation, I've not questioned that , I have questioned their lack of experience in Ireland and they've managed the Pledge concept which is turning into a farce quite frankly .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Different issues but you know that already. Homelessness is a seriously complex issue. Also there IS lots of supports available in the form of hostels etc for those in desperate circumstances. But you knew that already too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

According to Focus Ireland there was 94 people sleeping rough in Dublin as per their latest figures.

https://www.focusireland.ie/knowledge-hub/latest-figures/

There are currently 40 million people in Ukraine under attack from Russia but don't let the figures stop you from moaning about the Government etc.

Governments own figures suggest nearly 10K officially homeless, you seem to be focusing on one element (Rough Sleepers) , you are aware there are rough sleepers all over the country. But this aside there's also an alarming housing list and of course few homes to rent let alone purchase (if you can afford too)

I'm sure some may wish to stay here permanently and that can be dealt with in time, but the majority will surely seek to return to their native country. I certainly would if in their shoes.''

You didn't grow up in the poorest country in Europe, and suddenly get given access/support into a first world nation.. with all visa requirements and background checks waived.

I suspect many people with children will definitely consider remaining in Ireland or Europe. Imagine. You have the option to return to a war-torn country, which will still be extremely poor, corrupt, and have the added bonus of weapons handed out to the general population... (They'll likely be finding unexploded ordnance for years afterwards) or you can stay in Ireland, send your kids to a western school system, have access to first world medicine, fair employment practices, and live in a place with relatively low crime or violence. Yeah.. I don't think that many Ukrainians will return if they have the opportunity to stay.

It is sad to see people sniping away, probably motivated out of self interest & jealousy.

Or they're being more rational and less inclined towards emotional outbursts, and the assumption of a misplaced high moral pedestal to look down on others.

It would be far more efficient and effective to house refugees in Poland, or the other Eastern European nations, who have land aplenty, and would love the stimulus of financial support from Ireland and the remainder of the EU. NATO's engineers along with civilians could easily put up accommodation in those areas, and the UN has plenty of experience in providing and organising such camps. The advantage here being that it's in Europe and would receive serious funding.

Everything costs more in Ireland. Everything. The same for most of Western Europe where living standards are higher, but so too are the costs. That includes the cost of food, medicine, and services. The financial backing sent to Eastern Europe to provide for Ukrainian refugees would go much further than it would here.. and avoid the problems that the housing crisis, and inflation has caused here. Throw in the advantage that most Eastern Europeans share a few languages in common, and are more familiar with the cultures involved.

It's almost as if they'd prefer if the Russians just steamrollered Ukraine and absorbed it, to protect their own situation.

Frankly, I'm more than a little tired of the kneejerk attitudes of moral superiority on boards. TBH I find most of these kinds of posts to be shallow, and a disgusting attempt at virtue signalling.

I've read through the thread and there's not one post that suggests such a thing. And yet, here you are pushing that suggestion on to other posters, simply because they're critical of a badly thought-out badly planned, and badly implemented reaction to the conflict. This thread is layered with similar projections of moral superiority, and assumptions about what people think, as opposed to what they've written.

All to shutdown rational discussion, so that emotions and poor impulse control can rule. You'd really think we'd learned the stupidity of that kind of attitude by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What astonishes me about all this is the fact that while the Government falls over itself promising to take in Ukrainian refugees, we still have an unacceptable number of Irish citizens sleeping in doorways the length and breadth of the country. Where's the political and public will to deal with this? 

This is the post I was replying to, Thanks for chiming in though. We don't have 10K people sleeping in doorways. If you think we have please back it up.

• Advertisement

It's one aspect I fully agree with you on but of course we can't upset the Narrative. Add to this, few actual homes to rent , let alone purchase, absorbant rents numerous crisis to now include cost of living it just beggars belief .

I do say welcome refugees but some of the promises being made are just Ludicrous and will never be fulfilled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement