Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well there's statistical evidence to show quite a large proportion of car journeys are less than 5km long and in single occupancy vehicles (in Dublin), journeys which are easily doable by foot let alone any other means.

Your journey might be necessary, and others, but the means of doing it, are not necessarily the best use of space or even the most remotely efficient.

People enjoy the convenience, staying dry and harp on about it being quicker but then faff about looking for parking for ages, or stuck at junctions wmbecause some dipstick has cut in or broke an amber/red

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,840 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was specifically addressing the comments about the luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Absolutely delighted for you Phil. And there's no turning back now, the cycle lanes are happening. You lose!

Yes but the angry hard pressed working man motorist brain will not be able to take the full picture on board. This is all Greens and salad box Ryan's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Economics101

My previous post was in reaction to the following: "your reaction would suggest that you think that no car journeys being made currently, are unnecessary?" Note NO car journeys. I did not state that, hence my reply.

I was not talking about my car journeys, so to say its me making it all about me is a complete misrepresentation. When i referred to "my" car journeys, maybe I should have said anyone's car journeys, for the benefit of people who are looking for offence. It's typical of the ad hominem nonsense coming from people who don't know how to have a rational argument. I must say it reveals the self-righteous nature of so many people on threads like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,044 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah now we know well someone will be digging it all up again in a few years.

I haven't driven towards town during the height of rush hour yet, but just in middle of the day driving what seems to be an unnecessary delay happens going into town with the wait to split for Annesley Bridge Road and Fairview Strand. The arrow allowing cars to go left seems very late, if people actually obey it.

It's a bit woolly as to what the traffic changes will be for the bits happening next year. Maybe they don't know yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,840 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was not talking about my car journeys, so to say its me making it all about me is a complete misrepresentation. When i referred to "my" car journeys, maybe I should have said anyone's car journeys

Indeed, maybe you should have.

Just cycled through Fairview and it seemed ok to me, just a bit of a jam coming out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 27,688 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Census tells us that large numbers of car journeys are <4km, distances that could easily be walked or cycled. But instead, most of them choose to sit in their multi-tonne tank, usually surrounded by four empty seats, and complain about cyclists taking up all the space on the road.

See the irony?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Economics101

ANdrew J Renko: you said in reply to me: "The tired oul trope of bringing me granny to the doctor to justify driving to shops for milk or worse, driving to the gym for exercise."

That twists and misrepresents what I said.

• Advertisement

Well looks like your elderly relative is screwed then with this bike lane going in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭markpb

I know what you were doing but it seems like a vacuous post to bother clarifying. Johnnyrotten was basically saying: “Oh no, my part of dublin which is probably well served by buses and has a heavy rail line doesn’t also have a light rail line so it’s unacceptable to build a cycle lane because everyone is forced to drive.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dublin49

a % of journeys that are deemed necessary by car probably are not strictly necessary just currently more convenient,now if you tip the scales against car driving motorists may consider other modes of travel that heretofore they ruled out .I would imagine electric bikes /scooters are a game changer for lots of current drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement