Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm actually really enjoying the moaning out of my friends over this, and the complaining and moaning on this thread. Been cycling through Fairview for 30 years to get to school/work at this stage and it's an absolute mess. Finally they're sorting it out, on the busiest cycle route in the country, and motorists bitching about being held up for a few minutes. I'm just drinking it in, enjoy the traffic jams folks, and remember it's all Eamon Ryan's doing just to satisfy the lycra Green elites like myself who are rich enough to live within cycling distance of their cushy jobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No, I don't: but how are you to judge if my car journey is "necessary" or not? This is authoritarian, self righteous Bullsh*t.

I suppose I could play this childish game and ask if your bus or bike journeys are really "necessary". But I won't

no one suggested your car journey was unnecessary. AJR just mentioned 'unnecessary car journeys' in general. it's you who's making this about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Have you met the Dart? It’s a rail line exactly like the Luas, serves exactly the area you’re talking about and carries lots of people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well there's statistical evidence to show quite a large proportion of car journeys are less than 5km long and in single occupancy vehicles (in Dublin), journeys which are easily doable by foot let alone any other means.

Your journey might be necessary, and others, but the means of doing it, are not necessarily the best use of space or even the most remotely efficient.

People enjoy the convenience, staying dry and harp on about it being quicker but then faff about looking for parking for ages, or stuck at junctions wmbecause some dipstick has cut in or broke an amber/red

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was specifically addressing the comments about the luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Email your frustrations to.

sean.haughey@oireachtas.ie

chiefexecutive@dublincity.ie

eamon.ryan@oireachtas.ie

micheal.martin@oireachtas.ie

isn't a significant part of the disruption due to water mains works anyway? i'd say if it was just rearranging the top few inches of the road surface to put in cycle infrastructure, it wouldn't be taking nearly as long.

Yeah, and most of the cost too. This disruption was happening in one form or other.

For once some joined up thinking. We're digging bit up, so do what you need to do too. Any other services should be doing their work too so it doesn't need to be ripped up in a couple of years.

Absolutely delighted for you Phil. And there's no turning back now, the cycle lanes are happening. You lose!

Yes but the angry hard pressed working man motorist brain will not be able to take the full picture on board. This is all Greens and salad box Ryan's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Economics101

My previous post was in reaction to the following: "your reaction would suggest that you think that no car journeys being made currently, are unnecessary?" Note NO car journeys. I did not state that, hence my reply.

I was not talking about my car journeys, so to say its me making it all about me is a complete misrepresentation. When i referred to "my" car journeys, maybe I should have said anyone's car journeys, for the benefit of people who are looking for offence. It's typical of the ad hominem nonsense coming from people who don't know how to have a rational argument. I must say it reveals the self-righteous nature of so many people on threads like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah now we know well someone will be digging it all up again in a few years.

I haven't driven towards town during the height of rush hour yet, but just in middle of the day driving what seems to be an unnecessary delay happens going into town with the wait to split for Annesley Bridge Road and Fairview Strand. The arrow allowing cars to go left seems very late, if people actually obey it.

It's a bit woolly as to what the traffic changes will be for the bits happening next year. Maybe they don't know yet.

I was not talking about my car journeys, so to say its me making it all about me is a complete misrepresentation. When i referred to "my" car journeys, maybe I should have said anyone's car journeys

Indeed, maybe you should have.

Just cycled through Fairview and it seemed ok to me, just a bit of a jam coming out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Census tells us that large numbers of car journeys are <4km, distances that could easily be walked or cycled. But instead, most of them choose to sit in their multi-tonne tank, usually surrounded by four empty seats, and complain about cyclists taking up all the space on the road.

See the irony?

Car journeys of <4km can be quite necessary, like my drive to stock up in the local supermarket, or perhaps take an elderly relative to visit the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The tired oul trope of bringing me granny to the doctor to justify driving to shops for milk or worse, driving to the gym for exercise.

How many of the 4km journeys do you think involved bringing the granny to the doctor?

There are other ways to do your shopping too.

ANdrew J Renko: you said in reply to me: "The tired oul trope of bringing me granny to the doctor to justify driving to shops for milk or worse, driving to the gym for exercise."

That twists and misrepresents what I said.

• Advertisement

Well looks like your elderly relative is screwed then with this bike lane going in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

I know what you were doing but it seems like a vacuous post to bother clarifying. Johnnyrotten was basically saying: “Oh no, my part of dublin which is probably well served by buses and has a heavy rail line doesn’t also have a light rail line so it’s unacceptable to build a cycle lane because everyone is forced to drive.”

But he's not wrong. It's the same story every time. But what if an elderly relative. That might be a fair point, but fails to see the bigger picture, that measure like this should be pushing non essential journeys by car off the road and freeing up space and time for these essential ones.

Because the vast majority of these journeys are not for the essential weekly shop or for bringing and elderly relative to the doctor. They just aren't. We know they're not.

And now, it's purely anecdotal, but I got to Butchers and 3 supermarkets and got the guts of a weekly shop home on my bike this morning. All in one trip of approx 8 km total

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are doctors every 100m in that part of Dublin. How many elderly relatives need to be transported any distance? It is a BS reason and they won't be affected anyway unless they arranged the appointment at rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

I got rid of my car 15 years ago, so by any measure I should have starved to death years ago. It is a mystery how I stay so well nourished.

I walk or cycle the 2.5km to work, and on the way pass the houses of a couple of colleagues who drive. They then regularly spend tea break bemoaning the traffic. Pointing out that walking would be quicker is met with horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Let's be honest: we all know that the type who bleat "what about the elderly and the disabled?" when a bike lane gets put in, would be the first to park their SUV in a handicapped space or block the footpath and say "I'm only going to be a minute"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Metro got delayed because of short sighted selfish moaners who didn't want a gaa pitch impacted, some who didn't want their road dug up, etc. Not too dissimilar to your opening post. We have crap infrastructure in Ireland because too many people don't want their precious roads touched, so they can sit in traffic that is caused by themselves and others sitting in their cars but then blame the lad on a bike who is taking up the least amount of space on said road.

Fairview is a disgrace to cycle through, both directions. Outbound in the evenings was a death waiting to happen, because of the selfish behaviour of...yes you guessed it, drivers. Illegal parking, illegal turns, illegal bus lane use, and illegal breaking of lights at the Malahide Road junction every single day!

I cycle, I drive, I use public transport. And I want to see the best infrastructure available for all. If that means roads have to be dug up and drivers impacted then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭dublin49

a % of journeys that are deemed necessary by car probably are not strictly necessary just currently more convenient,now if you tip the scales against car driving motorists may consider other modes of travel that heretofore they ruled out .I would imagine electric bikes /scooters are a game changer for lots of current drivers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I rarely cycle but have taken to jumping on the bike on a 15km cycle each way to work. The most dangerous part is the turns from Fairview onto Malahide Road and Howth Road and that lane passed St Joseph's school. You need to be ready for any types of lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You have a weird sense of logic. If your car journeys are necessary, you should be welcoming these changes as it will reduce unnecessary car journeys and free up road space for your necessary journeys. Would you prefer to continue to share limited road space with all those making unnecessary journeys?

(In saying that, I'm always amazed at the amount of non cycling car users who have to bring elderly relatives to a doctor. I have two elderly parents who are in poor health. I'd say they visit a doctor perhaps 3 or 4 times per year and that is usually in a hospital out-patients department).

Advertisement