Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

So you're citing your own opinion as proof?

There are no recognised fascist regimes in the world today. There hasn't been one since the mid 1970's.

I didn't introduce fascism into the discussion, ancapailldorcha did so earlier today. If you have an issue with fascism being discussed here maybe have a go at him instead of me.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't have an issue with it being discussed, I've an issue with you trying to ignore reality for whatever the fcuk logic you have your head.

Continue claiming it doesn't exist if you want. I'm not inclined to go through each of the traits, and give examples for you from US Conservativism (particularly under Trump) Russia under Putin and the UK over the last 4 years to support my position as to why it is ludicrous to suggest there has been no fascism thoughts impacting governance of our societies in recent years.

You know these examples exist, you haven't denied the traits of fascism listed as being indicative of the general understanding of the ideology so I think it's fair to say you would agree I can present evidence to support my determination of what I am saying. One of us is offering evidence to support their position, the other......

Like yesterdays repeated chant of 'I'm a centrist' todays it's 'Fascism doesn't exist' tomorrow it will be something else you insist is the case and that we all have to either agree with you or stop posting. Off with you.

I never said that the traits of fascism aren't evident in the world today.

I stated that there are no recognised fascist regimes in the world today.

You perceive Russia to have a fascist regime but beyond having traits that are associated with fascism there are many prerequisites to be considered a fascist regime that Russia doesn't meet. There is a narrative that Russia has "embraced fascism" but that notion doesn't fit with basic accepted definitions of fascism.

The current Russian regime is many things, none of them good but it isn't a fascist regime.

I never said anyone should stop posting, not sure where you got that idea.

Off with me? Now you're just being impolite.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

There is a chain of restaurants in Dublin named after a leftist responsible for the deaths of more people than Hitler.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

you are right. Those Israelis don’t know anything about anti semitism.

You tell ‘em.

• Advertisement

They know how to accuse people of it, that's for sure.

If they hadn't the history theyhave had, there's no way they'd be allowed do what they have done in Palestine.

Is it, in your view, anti-semetic to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Those old uppity Jews going on about 60% of them being killed a Life time ago.

Get over it Shlomo eh?

Honestly, do you expect us to think that you care about Palestine.

Yet you never mention other more murderous and savage conflicts in the world.

There is a difference though, you wouldn't have a vehicle in your struggle against world Jewry.

What is it about Jews that so riles you Tell me how?

It's not Anti Semitic to engage in military resistance against Israeli occupation but you and others here are coming from a different angle.

I'm not judging you for that, I am just curious as to what drives your passion on this.

Ffs you guys are unbelievable.

No one is denying the reality or impact of the holocaust.

There are countless examples of the reaction to people standing up for Palestine to be accused of antisemitism. That's a plain fact.

I know you didn't interpret anything I wrote as suggesting they should get over the holocaust because I didn't write anything like that but you literally just did what I said is frequently some and used my example of their behavior in Palestine as suggestion they should do that.

Like, you waddled in to the discussion, and gave a pitch perfect example of what is a common right wing practice. You literally read what I said is frequently done, and then boom, did just that. Did you even realize that would were doing that? Thanks for proving my point to your mates.

And what tripe is this in saying me and others are coming at this from a particular angle? There is no angle, I've literally said exactly what it is I believe. On what basis do you think you can suggest otherwise? If I said the Israelis got a pass for their actions in Palestine because of their history you and the others would spend the day screaming I was hypocritical because I didn't stand up for the Palestinians.

Either way. it's just another strawman angle on here so you all can continue to ignore the accuracy of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Unicef ad on facebook for blankets for child refugees had the laugh emoji on it. Thought that was odd or a typo, but then saw there was >50 of them. Looked at the comments and all I saw was racist crap and people giving out about Ukrainian refugees. On an ad about helping children fleeing a warzone.

I compared that to when I was young and a black kid in my school beat up another boy for using a racist term and slogan. Everybody agreed with the black kid. Everyone hated the racist. Because racism used to be socially unacceptable. Now more frequently there are situations challenging racism is what is not accepted. That is strange and alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭lmao10

If you saw the telegram groups that these lads are in you'd understand. It's the same core groups of lads with no lives and who just spend their days making these posts and comments. It seems like most of them failed at life and have some issues. If it wasn't migrants it would be something else they'd be targeting.

• Advertisement

I don’t think you would dismiss a black institution calling out racism but are happy to dismiss an Israeli institution calling out anti semitism.

Any answer to the question or are you just going to leave it to you imagining what it is I would say in a hypothetical situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And then they've the nerve to hysterically wail about "cancel culture"... As always, they accuse everyone else of what they themselves are guilty of. They've turned the UK and the US into international laughing stocks and that's the least of it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Apparently all books have to be reviewed to be determine if they are acceptable for children (acceptable in the minds of the DeSantis cronies that is).

Remember when the right saw free speech as one of the foremost rights and cancel culture as one of the foremost problems facing society in the US?

I suppose as long as they don't burn the books our resident expert on what is fascism will be adamant that this is most definitely not fascistic behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,518 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

'THE PARTY must approve the books, this has always been the case. It has never been different.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd a look at the responses to that tweet and it wasn't long before I saw some cretin try and pin it on "the left". No wonder they want to ban education. Facts are anathema to conservative dogma.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's stupid behaviour that I don't agree with but you're correct it isn't fascist.

It's just another chapter in the tit for tat culture wars. Nobody wins and everyone is always angry, maybe its time to find common ground instead of hills to die on.

Glazers Out!

Yes you are showing your clear anti semitism.

It would be like saying those blacks can’t be criticised now just because they were slaves in the past.

It’s abhorrent and you trying to justify your hate let alone publish it on a public form on Holocaust memorial weekend is, quite frankly, disgusting.

• Advertisement

What I think is disgusting is this faux concern for Jewish people just to make a cheap political point on a message board. It's wholly disingenuous and it's fooling nobody.

H. H. Asquith

I asked if the statement 'If the jews hadn't had the History they had, they wouldn't be allowed to do what they have done in Palestine'.

In saying that that is anti-Semitic, it is you who is saying something akin to 'those blacks can’t be criticized now just because they were slaves in the past.'

I literally proposed the exact opposite of what it is you are saying my statement implied.

Surely the drag queens can bring their own books to read to the kids.

You are aware that leftist regimes were enthusiastic book burners too aren’t you?

Yet whenever someone thinks of book burning they invariably picture Nazis.

The power of propaganda is a sight to behold.

Yet whenever someone thinks of book burning they invariably picture Nazis.

And why do you think that is........... You're so so close.

Because we couldn’t have photos or film of Americans burning books, which they did in their thousands.

Cognitive dissonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,758 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks for proving your argument is being made in bad faith.

H. H. Asquith

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

No. You are victim blaming.

You are denying that they have been subjected to hatred and anti semitism for hundreds of years by comments about anti semitism such as “They know how to accuse people of it, that's for sure.”.

Would you say the same of a rape victim who bristles at been inappropriately touched! Of course you wouldn’t.

Then you suggest that if 6 million Jewish people were not shot or gassed to death and burnt they may be less touchy about their security and continued existence.

It is a reprehensible position for you to take. It really is.

Advertisement