Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Your thread title states "the dangers are coming from the right" it also states "you've been looking in the wrong direction"

This suggests the right is where all the ills of the world are coming from (your posting on thread further qualifies this statement) you also state that the reader has been looking in the wrong direction whilst the right has been consolidating its power so to speak and now you are here to alert everyone.

If you could provide real evidence that supports your assertion that I am not centrist it would be wonderful.

Am I correct is saying that you now accept the existence of communist regimes but do not feel they are important to people on this platform?

By that logic your points about the far right have no validity either as far right political movements are not a real issue in Ireland (the National Party are a joke and the other associated groups are laughably inept).

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For the love of God, stop focusing on the 'far' right, I didn't mention it once in the OP and while it exists and overlaps, this isn't a conversation about extremes. Or do you think the Conservative positions (US and UK) on climate, healthcare, science etc are far right in ideology? If so, do you still think you are a centrist?

Are you suggesting that the centre right is where all the dangers are coming from now?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Cordell

Centre right is the one proposing measures that will alleviate the effects of the climate change without taxing ourselves into energy and food poverty, but no one listens to them. The only voices being heard today are the ones who claim we can tax climate change into non-existence, and the ones who claim that we can pretend it doesn't exist. Both left and right, both centre and radical, are equally guilty of perverting science.

• Advertisement

Break down the right for me then.

I'm guessing you see it something like this;

1. Centre right.
    2. The right.
    3. Far right.

Am I... Correct?

It's a bit confusing, if you could clear it up that'd be great.

Also if you could clarify the direction (described by your thread title as the wrong direction) that everyone seems to have been looking it'd be fantastic as well.

Thanks in advance.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Typical nonsense argument with the obligatory "Both sides". You can't even name a single centre-right leader I notice.

Nobody wants to tax anyone into poverty to fix climate change. Feel free to provide a source but we both know this isn't true. The right deny climate change much of the time because it's easier to keep funneling money into the pockets of their dirty pals.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You can't even name a single centre-right leader I notice.

I can't, that's fair. And that's also what I think it's the biggest danger, the devolution of the right into this cartoonish populist bunch of today.

Nobody wants to tax anyone into poverty to fix climate change

Carbon tax and various other fuel taxes, including taxing it as a luxury, it's the left "solution" to climate change. More than half of the fuel prices are taxes. And guess what, it affects everything from food to clothes. But it's only applied in the developed countries who contribute fk all to the climate change.

keep funneling money into the pockets of their dirty pals.

Are you talking about carbon certificates trading?

Unfortunately, we've found previously that it takes hitting people in the pocket to motivate them to make changes. Plastic bag tax for example. That was and is the intent with carbon taxes also but unfortunately, in many cases (not all) we're not seeing the willingness to change.

Look at any thread on here or discussion about reducing single occupant car use and see just how hesitant people are to the idea of not having their own car. Proposals for cycling routes and greenways and bus routes etc are often announced, but not always delivered as special interests kick in to slow down the necessary changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is a rather silly strawman based on absolutely nothing, let's be honest.

You know full well the sort of right wing kleptocratic nonsense I am referring to.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Yes, that's what I'm talking about: the left is hell bent on doing things that don't have any real impact, hurt people that are not responsible for the problem, all just to give them something to feel good about. Ireland's share is 0.11%, no one cares, not going to make a bit of a difference, but still its people pay 2x as much as they need to pay to keep their home warm.

Irelands share shouldn't come in to it.

Throughout all of society, we expect people to do things that are to promote the right practice and ideals more so than saying everyone can be instructed differently based on their circumstances.

The impact of 50mg Blood Alcohol Content is different on different people, but its not possible to legislate for each individual or for other metrics that might or might not be relevant.

If one person is fly tipping on the side of the road, we still don't accept that it is ok for the next person to throw the wrapper from their lunch sandwich on the ground also.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Irelands practice of encouraging better behaviours is perfect, far from it, but again we have evidence that once there is a financial cost, people are much more likely to change their behaviour.

And if we look at this in the context of Left/Right positions, then at least the Left is advocating for the need for change where as the Right is still largely denying there is an issue.

Well it does come into it because we're paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/transgender-double-rapist-sent-womens-29037748

A rapist being sent to a women's prison, because he now identifies as a woman.

All came from left wing politics.

Link dump from the Daily Express and a snarky comment. No thanks.

H. H. Asquith

Refusing to engage, and a snarky comment.

Typical from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Engaging with whataboutery is a complete waste of time in fairness.

H. H. Asquith

The thread is about ignoring dangers coming from the left, and only focus on dangers coming from the right. It's a batshit take.

But when someone shows something dangerous that came out of left wing politics, you instantly dismiss it.

There's all kinds of dangers coming from the right, which you won't find me dismissing.

You didn't show anything. You just dumped a link from a trash tabloid and made a snide comment in an effort to derail the thread.

I'm not interested in indulging this petty derailing tactic any more.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes, they were common criminals who burgled a business.

There is nothing in your link to connect them with the far right.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Does the BBC meet your esteemed criteria for sources?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-64388669

Complete head in the sand attitude.

I'm the OP so I know better than anyone what the thread is about.

No one, literally no one, has said that the dangers of the left should be ignored.

The premise of the discussion was that so many events affecting a large number of people in society stem from right-wing philosophies, either directly or by making them largely uncontrollable or limited. The point of the thread's title, referring to a particular direction as the OP pointed out, was referring to the practice on this platform of so many people constantly ranting against issues from the left, while emphasizing that the most impactful issues are continually virtually ignored.

You can point out this issue you've highlighted, but it's not necessarily an issue yet, as this person hasn't done anything unacceptable since his conviction, (I understand?). It could, it will certainly become a problem at some point in some instance. But every day people (of both sexes) get raped in prison, it's a crime, it's horrific, and it's probably terrifying to those who think they could experience it. If you want to talk about the likelihood of this happening, we can talk about whether it is more likely to be the case from someone as in the story you introduced, or someone who has been incarcerated for an extended period because of draconian practices in detaining people before trial or being imprisoned for longer periods as both happen in the US.

It is not as big a problem as those mentioned repeatedly in the OP, in terms of its broad impact on our society and looked at as an individual instance (leaving aside that nothing has actually happened with respect to this individual yet) it still is likely to only ever be a factor in a small percentage of the number of times this particular crime is committed.

Your post is relevant in that it shows how you have either misinterpreted the OP or think this (non-crime event you have mentioned) is comparable to the issues from the right listed previously.

There have been plenty of links dumped which support the notion of "dangers coming from the right" as teed up by this thread, I'm assuming you take issue with those also.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,732 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"The thread is about ignoring dangers coming from the left, and only focus on dangers coming from the right. It's a batshit take."

were there not enough trans threads for your batshit contribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

25% of young Dutch people think that the Holocaust was exaggerated.

There is danger from the Left and it is insidiously growing again.

Holocaust denial comes from the right, swathes of which have openly embraced Nazism.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It used to, 30+ years ago.

Now Anti Semitism in Europe is dominated by the Left and Islamist thought. This is hardly a controversial opinion.

It comes from a rich vein and long tradition in the left of it but one that was usually not indulged by leadership of such parties, movement etc in fairness to them. That is a different time though.

Still does. Some random opinion piece from a dodgy-looking site doesn't change that.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

It comes from both, traditionally from the far right indeed, but the import of non european far right minded people who hate jews to death is also a big part of the problem. And also the main stream media and left leaning politicians position on the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Advertisement