Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Here's another issue, what you call right wing was once considered the classical left, but now the modern left call the classical left, far right.

Classical liberalism is a political tradition and a branch of liberalism that advocates free market and laissez-faire economics; civil liberties under the rule of law with especial emphasis on individual autonomy, limited government, economic freedom, political freedom and freedom of speech.

Essentially people are purposely abusing and distorting the political spectrum for their own gain. Now all there seems to be the "far right", which seems to cover almost everything, and modern leftism.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I didn't mention fascism in the OP, didn't mention the far right either so go ahead and keep telling me what it is I actually care about.

We better stop calling for communism then so. Oh actually, no one has done that.

This is the definition of a strawman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The last two pages were people debating the subject, you included. I asked some questions, and suddenly you don't care? 🤡

Well if you're serious, which I doubt, then stop using the label then? As you shouldn't use words that you don't understand.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Great input. Thanks. Gonna have a good think about it over the weekend and will get back to you with a decision and any questions.

Is that ok?

Would it be better if I emailed you my content before posting and you can give it the once over before I do it?

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, also the good old "if you don't agree with me you're a fascist!!!" principle so dear to both far left and far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The only thing that's different between the Russia of today and the Soviet Union (bar its size) is the fact it has been trading with the rest of the world since the Iron curtain fell, the authoritarianism that has reestablished itself was very much a part of the Soviet system of governance so to say Russia has swung from left to right with that as evidence isn't really the best analysis of the situation.

Putin is a greedy self serving sociopath, these have never been exclusively right wing traits, the man learnt this from the Soviet system he grew up in and worked within until its dissipation.

Communism failed miserably in Russia by the time the Berlin Wall fell, capitalism was foisted upon a people who had been indoctrinated to view it as evil, the scumbags inside Russia became oligarchs and the likes of Putin lined their own pockets and retained their hatred of the west and pined for an time where they could be seen as a superpower once again.

In a strange way Russia is neither left nor right wing in the traditional sense anymore, it's run by former soviet wackos who pine for the glory days of the empire and the international prestige they had during the Soviet era. Their actions are informed by their soviet past but they don't fit within the strictures of fascism. They're (the current Russian leadership) just b@stards really.

Glazers Out!

It's laughably lazy.

It's a long time since any fascist regime actually existed yet we're bombarded with the term constantly.

Glazers Out!

Except that right from the first post and at least a few 1000 word plus posts throughout the thread, I've gone in to specific detail outlining what I see the issue is, and why it is an issue and who is responsible for it being an issue.

And all you guys continually, want to ignore those facts so that you can discuss something else.

And there's your problem.

You want people to nod along with what you're saying and can't abide a different take.

It begs the question; why post this thread in a discussion forum? Just start a blog if you want an echo chamber.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,732 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is it liberal etc to genocide Muslims and enslave a people? 8-ball says no

and who else did I just read saying Russia isn’t fascist because they haven’t disposed of democracy: have you not been following how Putin has stayed in office so long? The democracy the KGB put in place was a facade.

I'll try and make it as easy as possible for you.

I want people to present reasonable arguments to challenge the very clear premise outlined in the OP.

You, and many more, are freaking out because I keep pointing out that the argument that you want to challenge is not the one being made.

So you’re just here to systemically disagree with OP, for entertainments sake?

Putin is an authoritarian.

There hasn't been a fascist regime anywhere in the world since the mid 1970's so I'm curious how you're going to demonstrate that fascism still exists beyond small rabbles of idiots clinging to it as a fringe ideal the guts of 50 years since any true fascism existed anywhere in the world.

You not knowing or being able to understand simple facts like that undermines why I and others will continue to question what you're saying here, you're not approaching this from a rational stand point.

Glazers Out!

Why are you associating communism with liberalism?

Russia is an authoritarian state but it isn't fascist even though it is a horrific regime.

Glazers Out!

Nobody is freaking out.

I and others have merely pointed out that there are more dangers in the world than the ones posed by "the right" as you've phrased it. Nobody is saying the dangers you've outlined don't exist, we're just adding others to the list.

The very act of saying that far left dangers exist has seen people labeled as right wing or fascist. Absolutely hysterical nonsense.

Glazers Out!

Chortle.

Try stirring a little harder next time.

Glazers Out!

You haven't shown any Left wing dangers that are as relevant in todays world as those from the right mentioned. And those that you have brought up are even less relevant for most of us who post here given they are literally on the other side of the planet.

Effectively what you're trying to do is go up to someone looking for treatment for cancer and tell them, 'that lad over there has heart disease, stop talking about your problems'.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

You just don't want to listen to anything.

In Ireland "the right" aren't a cause for concern, beyond our socially liberal fiscally conservative FF/FG axis of greed.

We have a plethora of left wing clowns in opposition who's proposed solutions to our societal problems mostly involve raising taxes to such an extent that the companies that keep our economy moving would almost certainly leave and plunge us into an absolutely disastrous situation.

So your assertion that the left doesn't pose any danger to the users of this platform is way off the mark and when you add in the sabre rattling of two of the remaining communist countries left in the world the left isn't a benign presence by any means.

Glazers Out!

Replies like this only confirm that to be the case.

(If I called you deluded you’d be up in arms)

Glazers Out!

I already stated that you haven't shown any Left wing dangers that are as relevant in todays world as those from the right mentioned, why did you feel the need to prove it to me again?

You also stated that you could demonstrate that fascism exists in the world today even though there hasn't been an active fascist regime in operation since the mid 70's so I'll take you opinion with a pinch of salt.

Glazers Out!

Here's 5 traits of fascism according to the front page of google. 'Authoritarianism, Nationalism, Hierarchy and Elitism, and Militarism.'

Are you telling me that you can't see these traits in political or individual ideologies in Trumps version of the GOP, or Russia under Putin, or even elements in the right wing in the UK?

By the way, I didn't state that I could demonstrate fascism exists nor did I mention it in the OP. But you've dressed up this strawman and are adamant you are going to get your moneys worth out of it.

You think that stating facts is the same as building a strawman?

Glazers Out!

You've said there isn't a fascist regime that exists in the world today.

That isn't a fact.

It is a fact.

There are no fascist regimes in the world today.

Go on, tell me which country is accepted to have an active fascist regime.

All you've done so far is state the traits of fascism, now it's up to you to prove there is an active fascist regime in the world today.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Already done.

And as explained in post 2519, several Governments in recent years have displayed several elements seen as being associated with fascism.

Authoritarianism, Nationalism, Hierarchy and Elitism, and Militarism.'

And again to point out, you've the one intent on focusing on the term fascism, it wasn't mentioned in the OP, I didn't introduce it here over the last few days. So don't rock up next week claiming the premise of the thread is Fascism exists everywhere and that's what the OP was talking about.

Advertisement