Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MLC23

Just got my Batch 3 Interview result and placed in the top 5. I’m not exaggerating when I say I genuinely thought I had bombed the interview so I am flabbergasted! The very best of luck to everyone getting their interview results today. Whether they reach Batch 3 or not for recruitment, this discussion has been a great source of information throughout - thanks to everyone for the updates and info!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Winterspring

Congrats, that is a fab result. I am in the 30s so unlikely to make it off the panel but I am delighted to have a positive result. Fingers crossed for some serious panel movement and perhaps a miracle

Well done and congratulations! Who knows, there may be a mass exodus of POs after Christmas ;) We’ll keep our fingers crossed! Passing the interview is half the battle!

Is anyone any further back than 30s on the new panel? I am wondering how many they panelled as it might give a sense of the anticipated demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Any heard anything?

• Advertisement

There seems to be no progress since the last update on 21 Sept. There must be a backlog of appointments to be made at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Slievereagh

I am in the mid 30's in batch 2 and I was contacted for clearance today, so some movement at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pip1414

Currently in clearance and it's taking so long! Thought everything was going to be order when they got the reference from my previous employer and would ask to contact my current employer this week, but have turned around today and asked to contact two of my other previous employers and get a character reference from when I volunteered somewhere two years ago. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Just really wanted everything sorted ASAP as Christmas is coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 18 night_owl_2022

That sounds more like a security clearance than the usual pre-employment vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Dfa or Justice then?

Did anyone apply for the PO Comms Open?

• Advertisement

Any movement on the panel? Happy New Year

No, I haven’t heard anything since they were at mid 30s before Xmas. Every time I get a text I’m hoping it’s PAS telling me to check my account!

It can't be long for you now CP30. Hopefully it goes like last year and there is some big movement in Jan and Feb. No sign of the new competition either so maybe scope to extend the panel 🤞

I rang PAS there and still at 36 of batch 2 but they have extended the life of the panel until 28 June 2024 so that’s good.

That is good news. The pace is very slow though

Thanks for update. Very slow moving but it might pick up if pay deal is accepted by members (which looks likely). Will impact people’s lump sum positively so might be an incentive to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I sincerely doubt an extra 1% on the lump sum would be the deciding factor in prompting someone to retire on or after 1st June or 1st October!

It’s 2.25% from 01/01/24 and 1% from 01/06/24 so I suppose it depends on the individual. I know 2 people on my team were waiting to decide on retirement before pay deal was agreed.

in any case, any movement on the panel, however slow , coupled with the extension time to June is positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 night_owl_2022

Boomers need to stop feathering their nests and make way for a new generation… the slow progress on this panel is so painful. Hopefully the last of batch 2 and a good chunk of batch 3 will be recruited before the June expiration date. I can’t face going through all this again… thanks for all the support and updates on here over the past few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dotski_w_

I've followed these panels a long time, and you always hear there's a lot of people waiting to go when a payrise kicks in for the lump sum but I've never seen it make a significant difference, any effect it has is always drowned out by other factors.

it might have some impact on timing for some, but even then it might mean that they put in the 3 months notice that day (or maybe that week, or month, depending when they get around to it), or other factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Gen X (not Boomers) approaching 40 years service this year will have worked through the absolute f'n misery of the recession of the 80s, the financial crash of the 2000s, pay freezes and promotion embargoes. I think they're entitled to max out their service if they so wish. Patience, young padwan!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zara151

Hi all When was the last interdepartmental PO competition? Is this one just the open competition? Thanks

I am open to correction on this but my understanding is that there is no interdepartmental PO. The sequence is supposed to be 1 position filled by internal competition followed by 2 open panel appointments.

Yep, although the open replaced the interdepartmental, so sometimes you'll hear someone say the latter when they mean the former (am sure I have myself)

Any movement news anyone?

Is the panel closing next month (an earlier post suggested March)? If so does anyone know when the next one powers up?

In terms of the 2:1 ratio with internal panels, might be worth mentioning that this ratio is external:internal and mobility moves count as external, I don't know how many of those happen but they seem to be increasing, and some Sec Gens I think prefer them because they get to match a person with a particular skillset/experience job (rather than get one off a panel and hope for the best).

PAS confirmed life of this panel extended until end of June 2024

I definitely think re some roles in departments the preference is for mobility as they are getting a ready made experienced Candidate. I also think it’s unfair on candidates sitting on panels where departments don’t follow the ratio of appointments and end up owing loads to external. What’s the point of going for these comps if they can just keep owing?

My final comment today I promise is the whole idea of a PAS comp is to identify and select candidates who are ready to become a PO now. Departments really should bear this in mind. Everyday is a learning day, whether your are a PO of 10 years or 10 days.

• Advertisement

It would be great if PAS would save us from having to compete in the next competition and clear these panels before the next panel comes live. As you say CP30, we have been deemed suitable so it seems like a waste to have to compete again. Does anyone know if they cleared the panel last time or were people left on it?

Advertisement