Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

hi all, just wondering if any further movement on this? I’m low 300’s so hoping to find out if I get called for interview on the 2nd batch soon. The more I look at my form from last year the more I’m thinking it might not cut the mustard. I’ve done so much since then, if only they would let you update it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 marvelkhaleesi

Late 70s in clearance so fingers crossed you’ll hear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Flexispot

I recently got offered a PO position in Dublin.

Because of family commitments I was unable to take it as I cannot commit to the travel to Dublin.

I have now been told that I am off the panel as I have refused a position.

However I understand anecdotally that there are people above me on the panel waiting for spots in their chosen locations even though there was no option to choose a location on the original entry form.

Would anybody have any insights?

It reeks of different laws for different people.

I'd still be interested in a position in my local area or even my parent department if that was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 marvelkhaleesi

Everyone on the panel was contacted on their publicjobs account last July to indicate their location preferences. Those who are waiting for regional spots must have indicated that preference then and were placed on panels for those locations. Refusing a post for a given location removes you from the panel in that location. I’m sorry if you missed that message and have lost out as a result.

Post edited by marvelkhaleesi on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Did you only put down Dublin, or did you put down the regional location/s you were interested in also?

If the latter, you'll still be on that panel, but be aware that the regional panels move far more slowly than the Dublin panels as there are fewer positions available, and often the panels can expire before you're reached if you're further down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

I did EO and I'm not sure they'd have different rules, but accepting an interview in one location eliminated me from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It couldn't have - unless you mean accepting an offer in one location eliminated you from another regional panel?

As per the message from Public jobs:

"If you are interested in an interview for Dublin please email largevolumerecruitment5@publicjobs.ie by 10am on Friday 13th January 2023.

Please note that if you express an interest for interview for Dublin you will no longer be considered for vacancies in your other location choice, if any."

:)

But also remember that was for EO, so information may not be the same. But from the few competitions I've checked, they've all said similar.

Ok, I stand corrected. It's been quite a while since I did a "large volume" competition, but the practice used to be you expressed your preference for one or more locations when applying, did your selection tests, maybe got to interview, got onto the panel (or didn't), and if you made it onto one panel, you made it onto all of the ones you'd expressed interest for.

This change seems illogical, and might go some way to explaining why it's so bloody hard to get recruits off the EO panels!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Shortlisting was done for Batch 2 from 4th - 14th April and results are out

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Yes I just got notified that I am through to stage 3, now the worry of the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Winterspring

Anyone know how far they went into the numbers this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They often do a "who wants Dublin" round late in a competition.

I'd guess that's what was happening with the EO comp. People who interview and pass would be far down the county panels and not get placed anyway. They'll be placed within weeks on the Dublin panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd be very interested to know this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pCiaran2

I think they went down to 402

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MLC23

Congratulations to all who were called in this next round and best of luck at interview stage! I’m in the mid 400s so missed out this time but appreciate all the updates from everyone 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭goofy141

I am through to stage 3! Wonder how long it will be until we are called to interview, best of luck to everyone 🤞

Best of luck 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 18 night_owl_2022

Invitations for interview issued today! Mine is Friday 12 May… wonder how many people are being interviewed!

• Advertisement

A Competition for a public service position...the only talent necessary is to get higher marks than the other applicants.

What a cesspit of incompetence.

I am May 9th 🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Oh dear. You’ll have to work a little harder/be a little smarter to try get through the next time…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd be surprised if any internal competition didn't result in a need for shortlisting, but I suspect many Departments aren't getting as many applicants as they might like.

Where I work I don't think there are internal panels at any grade level to draw from at the moment. There might be some left on a panel recently formed at one grade level, but there's none at PO level and the panels at all levels tend to be exhausted in a few months.

If there is any talent management or encouraging people to apply for internal competitions it's extremely discreet. In my experience we always had a very motivated and ambitious group of staff in the organisation who were normally interested in promotional opportunities, but I don't think this is always the case any more.

Yeah, that's how it works, all right. I take it you didn't get shortlisted, so?

Unlike yourself mate, I'm more than capable of making my own living instead of supping at the tit of the state.

A life of mediocrity? I'll pass, thanks.

Plod on, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 paydembills

Well, if you see the provision of essential public services in that way then you definitely shouldn’t be thinking about a post in the public sector. It’s a privilege to be a PO, it’s a privilege to contribute in such a meaningful way and it takes a lot of talent and hard work to do the job well.

You sound like someone who understands what it is to provide public service and that's great. I think of my colleagues in the public service and when we have a meeting they clock watch at 4.20pm and say" well time is moving on, one or 2 more questions and we'll call it a day", hands rubbing, and the bastards are out the door 10 mins later and on the road back to Dublin. I kid you not.

Living in the US I talked with friends who with a post grad degree went to work in government both out of a desire to do something for the country and make a positive contribution, and to make contacts for private sector business in the future. However their dedication to Kennedy's call of "what can you do for your country" was their overriding desire to work in government. The realist in me believes that attitude to be the exception rather than the rule in Ireland.

You cannot say that we have the best and the brightest working in the public service. Compare the running of a private hospital with a public hospital-top heavy with piss-poor managers. Private hospitals run like clockwork. That is not to dismiss the terrific work and dedication of frontline staff put to the pin of their collar with mismanagement and funding. The crap the gardai deal with is unimaginable;having to hold your hand over the throat of someone who's just had it slit.....I'm not attacking essential service providers but the bar is pretty low.

How much does hierarchy come into getting to be a PO?

I think of my colleagues in the public service and when we have a meeting they clock watch at 4.20pm and say" well time is moving on, one or 2 more questions and we'll call it a day", hands rubbing, and the bastards are out the door 10 mins later and on the road back to Dublin. I kid you not.

The 1970s called and want their stereotypes back. When, exactly, did you retire? We'd be using Teams, Zoom or Webex for our meetings, thanks all the same. No mileage or allowances.

Living in the US I talked with friends who ... went to work in government ... to make contacts for private sector business in the future.

Ah, corruption and graft. Nice.

I'm not attacking essential service providers

having just attacked essential service providers...

How much does hierarchy come into getting to be a PO?

You might want to read the thread from the beginning. Experience and a proven track record would be the start of it.

• Advertisement

Getting a little too close to the bone for you?

Do they inoculate you once you make it up the greasy pole of the public service? You're so far up your own ass that you must be in great pain.

Acquaint yourself with other government departments and venture past Heuston, down the country. Not everyting can be done on a Zoom call.

Corruption and graft? A slur on some terrific people who have made significant policy contributions in the USA. What work have you done that in any way equals getting a moratorium on capital punishment in 2 states? Coercing drug companies and government to fund low cost drug availability for sick persons?

No wonder the country is fcuked if you're the best on offer.

I guess this idiot is your idol.

Advertisement