Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They didn't check with Putin exactly what he wanted them to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Yep.

One thing which I find crazy in all this (in a good way), is that nowadays the propaganda made out of the false flag ops is getting debunked about as fast as it’s made, in near real-time:

But is it enough to avert disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Someone from the military saying that Ukraine will go nuclear 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

My twitter timeline is full of people reacting to that meeting:

I presume it's a done deal that they will recognise them at this point despite Putin ending the meeting on a cliffhanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Putin to address the Nation seems to be happening fairly soon.

Car bomb explodes in

Car bomb explodes in the centre of Luhansk.

Ukraine call for an emergency meeting of UNSC

Today seems to be off the charts - I think things may be coming to a head- would be surprised given the number of false flags , the carry on of Russia’s security council meeting and Putin’s address to the nation if Russia does not at a minimum recognise the DNR and the LPR as Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭combat14

dont forget russian army back in kazhakstan in last few weeks - getting very familiar with their neighbours lately

Interesting point here:

Also by getting them all to stand up and state clearly that they supported this action....it was the equivalent of getting all to put their hands on the knife before they plunged it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's been fascinating watching Putin operate, I'm no fan but my god he has European leaders running around like headless chicken's. Biden has just been hapless and embarrassing, utterly lost.

Whilst all this is going on, Russia making Billions extra in revenues from high gas prices .

It was Hillarious looking at Emmanuel Macron sitting like a spoiled child at the end of the biggest table I've ever seen in my life and the Belarusian President getting a Bear hug, the Germany chancellor also got the "Not to close treatment", Putin an absolute expert on exuding contempt.

The Ukrainian President seems to be a bit of a clown, wasn't he a comedian in a previous life 🤔, it shows.

So What is it that Putin is at 🤔 apart from taking the Pee out of Europe and Biden, I've always thought this is about Gas prices and the Two area's in Ukraine were there's conflict and low and behold, he's announced he's recognising independence for the two states, Bingo

Whilst Putin would like to invade Ukraine, he's no fool , he'll break it up gradually. I can't see him launching all out war, why would he🤔, to much at risk, to much to potentially loose, he'll play the long game, ultimately getting what he wants.

All this huffing and puffing from Europe and Biden, is exactly that and it's an embarrassing spectacle.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭blackcard

Unusual for Putin, he is slouched in his chair, right shoulder higher than his left. Looks under pressure, not his usual confident self

• Advertisement

Im not sure how you can say the western leaders have been helpless. They've done as much as they can do without starting a war.

Whatever about Russia making money from Gas now it's going to have a big impact on future incomes. Which seems a own goal for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Although I would be careful not to write him off, I do think some of Mr. Putin's reputation as a skilled operator is a product unwarranted fascination and often naivete among western observers. His ability to retain power, some seem to have attributed to some political mastery as opposed to a cold calculated willingness to clamp down on political rivals, murder troublesome journalists and provide a stage managed opposition. Meanwhile his supposed achievements on the world stage have amounted to little more than violating the taboos of international law slowly built up since the Second World War - namely ordering his troops into other countries and deciding to annex those parts he so desires.

One achievement I would readily grant him is his ability to create/fan/abuse the growth of moral confusion among Western societies, which are apparently so morally fatigued that they look upon a brutal dictator in a far off land and fawn over him as either a bastion of traditional conservative values and governance, or as a bulwark against international capitalist rapaciousness (read: the US). But then that's more an indictment on the state of our own societies than a particular achievement of Mr. Putin. But perhaps it puts our own leaders in a better context; we make disagree with our Taoiseach or the UK Prime minister or the US President, but I've never once felt that my criticism of them would endanger my life, or that they would disappear someone who displeased them. So I'm a little more understanding when they are trying to deal with a man without such scruples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭blackcard

Distinctly unimpressive. Small eyes. Rambling speech

Russia to officially recognise Donetsk and Luhkansk. Announced via phonecall to Macron and Scholtz.

For all the talk of "off-ramps" being provided to Putin, he's determined not to take them. Macron in particular was willing to stake his reputation in the run up to the French election, played like a fiddle twice in as many weeks. Doubt that'll be forgotten.

Putin letting the US know they think of a clear air summit with Biden.

Whether they proceed beyond the current line of control when the Russian boots inevitably hit the ground in the puppet states is the next question. Even a toecap in Donbass will trigger sanctions.

Dirty business, and Putin is risking it all now. Extraordinary to witness.

I agree completely and don't doubt for a moment how he's retained power or indeed how Russian politics functions.

I'm not political expert but have been flabbergasted at the ineptitude shown by various leaders around the world. Obviously they have to be seen to Ukrainian Allies and look out for its best interest .

Looking further East , North Korea bullied their way to attention , Trump visited , Kim got some concessions and world wide attention, Now and despite recent missile launches and continued war mongering rhetoric, he's essentially being completely ignored like a petulant child he is. Obviously Ukraine is more strategically important in Europe's eyes.

I don't pretend to have the Answers re Putin but just find it astonishing and despite all the intelligence, Europe and Biden entertaining him knowing how he operates.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with a lot of that.

I think Biden has made a lot of errors since he's come in to office but his handling of this isn't one of them. He's played this situation about as well as he can so far. Ukraine's not a member of NATO so they were never going to send in troops. They have supplied them with weapons though and they have been clear with Russia about ramping up of sanctions should they invade. Given that both countries are nuclear powers that's about as much as he can do. The decision to just straight up announce their intelligence to the world has been very clever. Putin has always thrived in the shadows. The American's have basically switched the lights on so that it's clear to see what he's up to and he doesn't like it. He's forced now to go ahead with his ludicrous narrative of Ukranian genocides and Ukranian attacks despite that the whole world was waiting for him to do exactly that because the Americans announced that he would a few days ago.

As for the tables. It's simple. Lukashenko is a pliant lackie so he got the short table and the hug. Putin has no respect for him. In contrast, Macron is not an ally. He's an adversary. He's the president of a country with a permanent seat on the UN security council (like Russia) He also refused to do a PCR test in Russia. He got the long table.

And of course I appreciate differing opinions, I personally don't accept the PCR angle, it bordered on Ludicrous, Macron worried about the Russians getting his DNA 😁 German chancellor got the same treatment , I recall a number of commentators talking about the long table treatment and it was obvious to see what Putin was playing at.

Biden just seems to have one comment, repeated almost daily, He'll invade tomorrow, the next day etc. Putin won't and I'm no foreign affairs expert and can work that out for myself. I know alot of it is BS , brinkmanship etc, trying to prempt what Putin might do next, I just think it's silly nonsense. This aside , NATO leaders seem to be actually advising putin in advance of every movement they are making in building up defensive measures. Just seems utterly bizzare carry on.

I think the US' commutations strategy has been extremely good. Say f*ckall beyond "we know what you're up to, and here are the consequences". And they likely do know what's going on behind the curtain beyond what other Western countries can see. Between eyes in the sky, signals intelligence and disaffected human intelligence assets within the Putin set up.

Kooks love spreading nonsense about about the CIA thinking they're sending mind control rays to put the lizard people in charge. But the reality is their bread and butter is knowing what the f*ck is going on so the President can act with foreknowledge, and they're probably the best at it out there. I have full confidence that the US intelligence community has a fuller picture of what was and is being planned, probably more so than many in Putin's inner circle.

This is box office. 40 million Ukrainians being subjected to genocide apparently. The man has lost it.

The Putin defenders really should pause for a moment and listen to this before they hit send on their next post.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Mother Russia is back.. Classic Putin. Shove your sanctions up you whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Everything I said would happen over the last 8 years is coming to fruition ,if putin is allowed to continue this madness the whole of Europe will burn ,he wants the old Soviet union to rise from the ashes ,

This is Dangerous

No hiding from Satellites theses days.

All they can do it put pieces on the board and let Putin have his sugar rush. They can't put feet in the Ukraine, everyone knows this. They've done as much can.

They get the east. If Ukraine attack or the West imposes sanctions then it's war.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Crimea humiliation really was the biggest foreign policy error of the combined Western hemisphere since 1938.

Putin should have been stomped on in 2014, literally stomped into a pink mist. Now it'll have to be done in 2022 and it will be all the more difficult after eight years of consolidation and military modernisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Europe pretty well redundant on this... we are a stopping off place... This is an exercise to make it big 3 in my view... US, Russia and China and we EU left out... i think Putin winning....

The EU is controlled by the US via Nato. The EU could have its own policy years ago but was chipped away by uncle same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Just watching C4 news and they reporting Putin's address to the Russian people reporter saying the world are watching which we are but we are doing nothing...

So Putin addresses Russian people and live on west tele... its a PR exercise... no intention of invading... play the game it actually kinda suits US i think...

The EU has never had a military component until extremely modest initiatives in the last decade or so, and it would have been baulked at by many member states - as small as Ireland and as large as Germany.

NATO has been around since 1949 and had a coherency that backstopped the European peace when the European political project was about coal and steel tariff reduction. Is the USA the most influential country in the Treaty? Absolutely. Would it have happened without them and the European settlement post-war been shielded from further conflict? Absolutely not.

NATO has its faults, but if it wasn't invented, I don't think you'd like how the second half of the 20th century would have gone for Europe. It would highly likely have looked like the first half. NATO was not an American foreign policy luxury, it was essential. If you think that the USSR would have stayed politely at their side of the Iron Curtain or indeed that a nationalist in the West wouldn't have risen to settle old WW2 scores the other side of the Berlin wall you're deluded. NATO took the sting out of a lot of bad elements in European politics and militarism. I don't imagine it was going to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, but in the real world of iron, steel and ancient European grievances, it was and is completely necessary.

EDIT: I actually missed it on the first pass on your comment, but no, the US does not control the EU via NATO - that's high-order conspiratorial nonsense. Very, very silly stuff.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Advertisement

Advertisement