Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

Thanks a very insightful and thought provoking post. Thank you for your input to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Announcing a press conference by Putin which is unusual in itself, it not happening with no notification or reason why, then RT delete the tweet and articles mentioning the conference announcement, then the head of the Duma comes out saying no general Mobilization will be happening and finally a new press conference announced for tomorrow morning. It's all over the place and not normal behavior at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is whats popped up on sky news.

A handful of people and the referendum is a done deal ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Reports that it will be illegal for russian men aged 17-65 to leave the country from midnight, moscow time. Interesting

The biggest spike in Google searches is how to leave the country in Russia.

There's not going to be any great mobilisation that's going to roll over the Ukrainans,they have wiped out 55,000 Russians in 7 months and rapidly increasing, they are already freezing criminals from prison to fight because nobody is willing to volunteer,it's not the 60/70s anymore they can't control the internet and social media Russian men see the slaughter they are facing on a daily basis there's no great for the glory of the motherland anymore in Russia,

They will make social media posts abusing Ukrainians but the same Russians aren't willing to go fight the Ukrainans..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And there it came; partial mobilization "because the west don't want peace". Talk about projecting a whole lot but nothing new under the sky in practice (because those troops did not want to join the war in the first place or they would have taken the $30k sign on bonus in the first place; hence their motivation will be low, the equipment will not be there to equip them properly etc.).

“We are talking about partial mobilisation, that is, only citizens who are currently in the reserve will be subject to conscription, and above all, those who served in the armed forces have a certain military specialty and relevant experience,” Mr Putin said.

Edit According to the Russian defence minister this will give an additional 300.000 soldiers.

Post edited by Nody on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wonder if this partial mobilisation is all they are actually able to sustain logistically as well as for command and training purposes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's quite astonishing that after all this time, Russian Army doctrine doesn't appear to have learned much from the days of WW2.

Just to follow up to my own post, I see the US has already denounced the referenda as shams, signalling that the American point of view won't shift much even if the breakaway regions "vote" to join Russia. So no initial noises that allies might use this as an excuse to throttle back support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭jmreire

Nope it won't. Ukraine and the rest of the world will not accept it, and that includes China and India , it's a bridge too far for them, especially the implied nuclear bomb threat. And I'd say that by now, even India is having second thoughts about their relationship with Russia, when their sanctions busting actions are drawing negative attention from the US and EU. Maybe along the lines of "India, remember that if ever things deteriorate between you and China , you will need good friends".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭amandstu

Does anyone understand why Putin is accusing the West of "nuclear blackmail"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Because he wants to Nuke Ukraine, (because his military is weak) but can't because of retaliation from the west if he does.

Its all in his own head of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Russian propaganda has been spinning a tale that the Ukrainian army has been shelling and threatening the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.

They even showed shells to the IAEA inspectors that had hit parts of the plant - the inspector wanted to know why they appeared to have come from the Russian controlled direction - cue a farcical scene where the Russian handler tried to say that the shell had actually come from the Ukrainian direction but had flipped 180 degrees in the air before impact.

Actually this thread speculates that Putin was referring to something else again:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

God knows where this is going, Putin is old, clearly slightly insane, and may be willing to use nukes after his fake referendums.

I guess Putin is making that up but it may be true that some jerks do think we could just take Russia out with nuclear weapons. (Leaving just ourselves presumably)

Maybe some of those jerks have high office.

But Putin doesn't give names so it is probably misinformation designed for his captive population.

Still not buying into the notion of him actually launching a nuclear weapon ,I know all the propaganda media Channels keep repeating we the Russians people will be going to heaven as the good ones when everyone else is going to hell.

Or are we bordering on a mass death cult that makes isis look innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The threat of nukes is clearly the reason d'etre for his actions. It is going to take a long time to get his 300,000 troops for for battle. If he can even get them.

"Nearly all flights out of Russia were sold out just hours after Vladimir Putin declared a partial mobilisation of reservists.

Google Trends data showed a spike in searches for Aviasales, Russia’s most popular website for buying flights, after Putin’s announcement sparked fears that some men of fighting age would not be allowed to leave the country.

Flights from Moscow to the capitals of Georgia, Turkey and Armenia, all destinations that allow Russians to enter without a visa, were sold out within minutes of Putin’s announcement, according to Aviasales data.

Within hours, direct flights from Moscow to Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan had also stopped showing up on the website. Some routes with stopovers, including from Moscow to Tbilisi, were also unavailable.

The cheapest flights from Moscow to Dubai were costing more than 300,000 roubles (£4,320) – about five times the average monthly wage."

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

Pretty sure he's referring to the US supplied and operated Long Range missiles hitting Russian border towns and Russian occupied nuclear facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pack of lies. US are not operating any long range missiles hitting nuclear facilities or Russian targets. Nor are Ukraine hitting nuclear facilities. The nonsense lie about shells turning around mid-air has been debunked already.

Russia is holding Ukraine to nuclear blackmail, stationing military forces inside nuclear facilities and threatening Ukraine with nuclear attack.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

@Inquitus "Nearly all flights out of Russia were sold out just hours after Vladimir Putin declared a partial mobilisation of reservists.

The opening verse of creedance Clearwater revival - Fortunate son comes to mind , eerily close

• Advertisement

They are US Supplied weapons. But to give you the benefit of the doubt, if the Ukrainians are solely responsible for their operation (which I think even you would doubt) they've gotten really good at it really fast.

The "military forces" filmed in the plant were Russian National Guard vehicles obviously there for security reasons what with there being a war on outside and all. And I'm still waiting to hear an explanation of why Russia would want to bomb a facility that they already occupy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hold on a second.

This is what you claimed:

US supplied and operated Long Range missiles

You are claiming US personnel are in Ukraine actively participating in Ukraine conflict, firing weaponry at Russian targets, and were responsible for an attack on a nuclear plant.

This is a big claim. A big claim with zero evidence.

The benefit of the doubt? Nope. You posted a lie on the thread. You then start back tracking when challenged as you know you have zero evidence to support it. Your standard operating procedure - see earlier lies about BBC news reports and Maidan revolution shooting.

Russia was firing artillery from the plant targeting infrastructure which connects the power station to the grid. They lied with absolute nonsense about shells changing direction in the air. They stationed military equipment inside the plant. They lied about doing so - they said there was no military equipment inside the plant, until the footage came out. Security reasons don't require stationing military equipment inside the plant.

And even if the lie was true, which it isn't, how would it translate to nuclear blackmail against Russia, when the plant is in Ukraine. Bonkers stuff.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Belarus have been "preparing to enter the conflict" since it started. Their armed forces are likely in as bad, if not worse, a state as Russia's and support for the action significantly lower. It remains highly unlikely to happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Being told Belarus might be entering the war, just brings to mind Italy being part of the Axis powers in WW2. A degree of "who cares?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It wouldn't be the first time they've attacked something to create a fake situation they can then create a fake response to.

Well it would be great if they entered the fray and as a result the people of Belarus regained power on the basis of the regime and its military forces being distracted.(or just a plain old mutiny in the armed forces would not go amiss)

The longer the conflict in Ukraine continues the weaker the Belarus regime becomes I suspect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Actually I think it could be a great thing as I can easily see it cause potential revolution in the country forcing Russia to have to permanently deploy troops there to keep the population in check reducing their forces in Ukraine even further...

Everytime I hear that Belarus are "about to send their army across the border" I think of this:

My dear Odyssey. You nor anyone else on here as ever proved I lied about anything. You just claim it hoping that people haven't actually read the thread back far enough.

I and many people think that the HIMARS operations are being operated by the US Military. Below is an admission by the Ukrainian Military. The original interview with the Ukrainian Deputy head of Military Intelligence is behind the Daily Telegraph's pay wall where he basically states that "Washington coordinates HIMARS missile strikes". They might not be driving the trucks but it's their Intel and satellites that work the system.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/09/21/leading-from-behind-is-washington-at-war-with-moscow/

Please enlighten me about this shell changing direction thing. I can't find anything on it.

In the mean time please answer my question that I have asked you many times..What would Russia's motives be to bomb a facility that they already occupy that contains their own National Guard members?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Italy had 4 million odd of an armed forces, Belarus 50k

Advertisement