Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part-if any-should Ireland play in the defence of Ukraine if Russia invades?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Make a donation to help clean up the bloody mess

https://crisisrelief.un.org/t/ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

should it not be zero as a non-nato member?

if it happens, our donation will be giving the US the use of shannon

Post edited by y0ssar1an22 on

Send on the Army. They would fight the **** out of it from 9 to 3pm except fridays and wednesdays they are half days so down tools.

It would be over in a week flat as they have bigger fights to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Er nothing.

Lol at the advice to ask Germany to stop equivocating on the matter.

Newsflash: Germany have been attempting to expand eastwards for over a century - WWI, WII, Cold War

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I can’t see our neutrality lasting even another 20 years tbh, you can already see the Irish people being brainwashed by the media with this anti Russian anti Putin rhetoric, as if Putin/Russia has done or is doing anything worse than the USA or the UK has done in the last 20 years, in fact they haven’t done anything nearly as bad, maybe what I need is a good invasion and a few hundred thousand dead Ukrainian civilians to finally put the Russians on par with the Americans but for the moment I’m just not seeing it.

Although I do see it when I watch sky or BBC news or read articles on Russia, although I can’t blame RTÉ or virgin media for any of this really as they are basically just regurgitating the information from those mainstream sources and also their opinions and how they portray the situations is just another regurgitation.

The western media portrays the world situation like a marvel superhero movie, one side is good, one side is evil, mainly because the media we watch is largely controlled by one of the sides involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So it's all propaganda ...

Unlike the rt and Sputnik shills

No it’s just one side of the story? It makes sense for British and Americans to go along with it so I don’t blame them but the Irish should really open their minds to this more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So Russia doesn't have 130+000 soldiers, tanks, heavy artillery.amphibious assault vessels ,long and medium range missles on Ukraines borders

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We could call out Germany for it's actions.

Today they blocked Estonia from delivering Artillery pieces to The Ukraine.

If you were in Moscow now, you'd be saying to Putin that Germany will mitigate any sanctions or push back against an invasion from the EU.

This will just be today's example.

We won't because it is Germany, they call the shots in the EU and are economically dominant.

Germany can't really complain if there is an invasion, they are washing their hands of it.

Always the money with these guys to quote Joe Pesci.

• Advertisement

Crimea is not long a part of the Ukraine.

It's also nearly all Russian. Population wise.

Military can do nothing because of our Triple Lock which Russia have a veto over.

Certainly appears Germany loses the run of itself when it comes to the vast plains of fertile soil to the East.

Last time they helped Moscow push West turned out a right pain in the proverbial.

This thread is all only theoretical.

It's a valid point to say that the attitude from Berlin is going to be given as an example that Moscow will only face a short price and not a steep one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

For the very same reason Kennedy got annoyed when Cubans decided to host some soviet soldiers and missiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This is to an extent old and reliable scenario how to get top dollar for old military surplus material.

When you replace your toys with new shiny toys why not to invent some scary scenario and ship all junk you need to get rid of to some unfortunate recipient who may want to try it (to justify spending in case population get curious what happened to the money).

Happened way too often and in so many places. Now it is Ukraine turn to accept this "help" which will have to be repaid later anyway.

Stay well **** clear if any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think EU pretty well redundant on this... The only conversation I see is between US and Russia... I think EU pretty Compromised... The Americans boss us around and we say thanks... Also we need the gas... We not in a good spot...

Looks like the Russians are coming, whether we want them to or not.

“Russia to conduct missile tests in Irish-patrolled waters 240km off south-west coast”

https://jrnl.ie/5660829

• Advertisement

I really don’t think we should get involved in a conflict we don’t understand or know the real story of what’s going on, only those highly involved in the conflict will know that (or at least have a fair idea) all we know is the situation from the eyes of one side through the media we watch which is largely controlled by one side of the conflict.

Although I am convinced when the time comes when it becomes useful for the western powers for us to drop our neutrality they will easily manipulate our government and population that doing so is in our best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Russia needs the revenue from the gas as well.

Of course they do... my point really was that America/Russia are doing the talking and Europe kinda left out... pawns in the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

What should we do?

Dig out the wodka to greet our new Russian overlords.

Bet no one saw that coming.

I'm just going to hang on to my coffee and watch it all unfold. It's going to be good. (I imagine our "leaders" are on high alert, sure none of them want to become the next Archduke Franz Ferdinand)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The bulk of our imported gas comes from the North Sea and Norway via Great Britain. The rest comes from the Kinsale gas field. That and the Irish goverment has signed up to ban new applications licences for gas extractions in Irish waters. And then there's the greens looking to put a stop to any existing exploration and extraction licences for gas in Irish waters

I think they may have to revisit that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ireland won't accept refugees from a Christian country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Micheal Martin needs to ring Vlad and tell him to stop all this nonsense.. ah..going forward..

remember when the other fellow came to Shannon with a bottle of vodka...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Too pissed to get off the plane or even worse not bothered enough to get off.

Advertisement