Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part-if any-should Ireland play in the defence of Ukraine if Russia invades?

Options

Comments

We could get Michael Flately to organise a line of defence along the entire Ukraine border. No one is getting up after a high kick from a hard shoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We would expect France and Germany to help. I don't think anyone would get too sour if the countries of 5 million with a combined air fleet of 6 propeller planes said they couldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@BurgerFace ,,,,,,,,,,,

Nah just nah 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

We don’t even have one attack helicopter or a single jet fighter…what u want Ireland to do ..step in to declare war on Russia …. All Russia would have to do is successfully get afew jet fighters over to Ireland( we will be relying on Uk protecting us in the skies of course) and one or two little bombing runs and ireland main cities would be in ruins

now near in mind that the corruption and pissing of money away is so bad here when it comes to the govt giving out contracts to rebuild infrastructure … how many centuries and tax raises later might the fix back up Ireland !!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why bother with helicopters and tanks, when we could shut down Moscow with a cyber attack.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/8/11/22606230/inside-a-future-cyberwar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

See this is one of the nuances and another reason why we should stay out of it.

Crimea was the Holiday destination of choice for eons and the MRGA crowd applauded loudly after that shenanigan - restore the 1992 constitution - There's a famous video of the Putin Walk into the chamber in the Kremlin afterwards, I think it is this one. https://youtu.be/nYpj3r1Wrck

He knows how to put on a show all the same. And sure isn't that half the battle.

But he does a lot of walking into that chamber so I'm not sure if that video is that exactly. The one following Crimea's vote to restore the 1992 constitution and thereby becoming autonomous and thereby having the freedom to associate with any nation they please.

I really don't think Ukrainian's are flapping as much as we are led to believe they are (about an invasion) those two breakaway "separatist republics" (Donetsk and Luhansk) have now seen 8 years of war and the loss of 13,000 lives. From what I hear they are expecting an invasion, but over the last 8 years they listened to broken promises of ceasefire and predistions of atrocities that never occurred, so forgive them for taking all that is going on now with a pinch of salt.

Right now Putin is holding the cards really close to his chest and no-one can tell you what he is planning to do. No-one knows. He is playing with his soldiers in his own land and that's all he is doing at the moment.

Essientially he is pointing a gun at Ukraine, but he's making his demands while looking at the US (December 17, no NATO for ukraine and no military exercises in Ukraine, it's a bit too close for comfort please and thanks.)

I'll say it once more, Putin is running Russia and thinking it is an empire. He is "Emperor of the Rus" - Overlord of the Great, the Little and the White.

The MRGA crowd at home love it and want more of it.

Not everyone at home agrees with Putin and the MRGA crowd, and that is why Navalny is in jail. All he really said was that Russia is a state, a nation, not an empire.

PS: you might hear reports that the Cyberwar has begun and Russian groups or groups linked to Russia have hacked into Ukrainian "things". Not really new news for example:

December 2021: Australia, A Russian group took owned up to the ransomware attack on utility firm CS energy. The australian media had blamed Chinese Government hackers.

https://www.crn.com.au/news/qld-govt-owned-energy-company-attack-claimed-by-russian-speaking-gang-573831

December 2021: Worldwide, A Russian group using malware on android and windows devices obtained access to private emails of 3,500 government officials. A random newspaper article here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57156197

AND - IRELAND

May 14, 2021 - The HSE ransomware attack used the Conti Ransomware-as-a-service (RaaS) which was developed and operated by a Russian group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Economics101

Your post concentrates of past events many of which are a world away from Ukraine (East Timor, for heaven's sake). We are faces here and now with Russia threatening a war in Europe like nothing since the days of Hitler and Stalin, so stop the monstrous what-aboutery.

On WW2, you cite the Russians as losing 20m while defeating the Nazis. I don't deny for a moment the scale of their effort and losses, but they did it with help from the West, whether material or having the Germans to cope with a Western as well as an Eastern front. And never forget that the whole WW2 started a couple of days after the Stalin-Ribbentrop pact, with the Soviets being complicit with Hitler in the invasion of Poland with all its mass-murder. I have no desire for pointless Russia-bashing, but neither will I accept the big lie that somehow Russia was just a victim, especially when you look at their record in Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and elsewhere post WW2.

Yes we don't have fast jets or attack helicopters , but we still have the ability to defend the country ,and yes we need the RAF to patrol or intercept foreign aircraft ,but we are already part of EU battlegroups who will be tasked to defend against foreign aggression in Europe we also fall under the nato umbrella as part of the partnership for peace ,

Many people sound off about how we are neutral , but we produce dual purpose technologies here guidance systems and others things ,that can be used for civilian purposes but also and mainly goes into missles and aircraft for military purposes ,and you can guarantee that every major conflict that's happened over the last few centuries Irishmen and women have been there on the front lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Why exactly are Russia so annoyed at the thought of Ukraine joining NATO. They are a separate country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's considered historical Russia and it's on the border of Russia.

They see it as an existential threat.

• Advertisement

An invasion implies an intention to stay in control of the country/region for a significant period of time

An incursion is for a particular action (such as a retaliation for some hostile act), carries it out and exits quickly.

More Russians died at the hands of various Russian leaderships post WW2 than Jews who died in the Holocaust in Germany , let's blame NATO somehow.

Unfortunately several posters regularly post about how Russia are a victim of nato aggression , they have been completely surrounded and nato have hundreds of thousands of soldiers and tanks , aircraft ,ships preparing to invade Russia ,

When ever asked for evidence to back up the claims we get rants about everyone hating Russians , Russia won WW2 , Russia won this and that ,

Look at what America did in Afghanistan when they invaded ,but wait remember that time Russia invaded afghanistan and massacred the then government before using a scorched earth policy against the civilian population of Afghanistan ,they wiped out agriculture ,cities and towns because they couldn't get a handle on the afghans.

At least when nato and the US went in they actually tried to help the afghan people they rebuilt infrastructure , hospitals , schools , encouraged political movement and empowerment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

"Somw of us want to be controlled by a superpower with a bit of panache"

What **** planet are you on? The knots you tie yourself into spouting this rubbish is embarrassing. If you so like the authoritarian bollox then **** off over there to live. You have the mental capacity of a slipper. putting you in the ignore list so I don't have to see your daily vomit across these pages.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have a feeling Germany might not want to be involved in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I know what your saying but I still don’t think Ireland as a nation needs to raise its head above the parapet . And just like Afghanistan, Vietnam etc… I’d wonder would the people appreciate our involvement at the end of it all anyways ?… I’d doubt it… thousands of innocents would be slaughtered by both sides and Russia will still take over, if that’s what they want. Us , Britain and the western Allie’s are no longer the superpowers now … that honor lies with the likes of China , russias pals… Russia themselves have a fierce arsenal too . I don’t see any good coming out of it

That was about if the UK invaded us which was the example the poster used.

I Should have made it a bit clearer.

What , we're being invaded ?

I still have my FCA great coat .

Must get one myself. Gonna be freezing up in Cratloe Woods hiding from the tans.

Them tans would be pretty old now , you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭techman1

If you look back at our history, France or Spain the big powers back in time never came to our aid, they sent small contingents alright but they were never prepared for a fully fledged engagement over Ireland, we just were not important enough

As for Germany, a German engagement never even got off the paper.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the Scottish. De Bruce sent his brother over with an army but we didn't really understand what was going on and never got behind him.

We got our own back on the Spanish and their paltry aid by sending them the feckless Blueshirts.

Comparing history several centuries back is no way related to modern Europe,but we're not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Nothing Ireland can do, not really anyone can do other than the US, but if thebUS push too hard things could quickly get out of control.

The US, Brits and a few others are sending military hardware to Ukraine, but its tokenism. If Russia wants to invade Ukraine it will and only the US can stop them and they won't. Perhaps the combined military might of all of Europe might be able to do something, but they'll never all agree.

Its a delicate situation, pretty much any former Soviet state that hasn't joined NATO and hasn't been pro Moscow has suffered directly or indirectly from Russia in the last 20 odd years so I can understand why Ukraine would want to join NATO. Equally I can understand why Russia don't want NATO right on its doorstep.

Now if Russia eventually turns its attentions to the Baltic States or even Poland then thats different gravy and we're all in the s***

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭techman1

If the British had serious designs on us again like the Russians have over Ukraine now, nobody would come to our aid.

They wouldn't consider France or Germany too much, only the US would have big sway over Britain. In fact it was the need by Churchill to keep America on side at start of WW2 that prevented him ignoring Irish neutrality and also the fact he already had northern Ireland anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Russia invades and take over Ukraine, the US will do something like make it impossible for Putin to buy a Stetson Cowboy Hat, and then declare themselves victors , that's the reality.

I mean it's fantasy land stuff anyway but no way would the UK be allowed to invade an EU country

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

Listen, we can't wade into this from a military perspective, whether we'd like to or not. In fact, picking a side in a war like this would invalidate our neutrality, the one thing that keeps us safe. Diplomacy might be an option but I highly doubt it will ever come to that.

The truth is that this is just a power play. Russia doesn't want Ukraine to join NATO, which I can understand. Then Russia would be in the striking zone for a lot more NATO firepower if it was stationed there. On the flipside, NATO don't want Ukraine to be controlled by Russia for the same reasons. It's the epitome of the two biggest guys on the playground jeering and sneering at each other.

Ireland - depending on when a conflict occurred, might be able to offer humanitarian aid and could offer to assist with logistics when it comes to refugees but that will be dependent on when and if something happens.

@JustSomeLad picking a side in a war like this would invalidate our neutrality, the one thing that keeps us safe.

We're about as neutral as any other countries in Europe or further afield ,

The reason we're safe has been were an island with a bigger island separating us from Europe proper ,not be because of some political term

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Russian's have been transiting Shannon a number of years en-route to Africa and South America, they just don't fly through in overt military aircraft (although some are ex-mil)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Crimea isn't an area the size of Ukraine, it is also a strategic point for Russia which has been heavily fortified ... there is a reason why there is more soldiers there than locals there.... might be the reason too as to why they have held onto it...

you really are coming out with some serious garbage today

Advertisement