Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There’s no irony there Frank, I was having considerable difficulty making sense of the post, and I know that poster is perfectly capable of posting coherently as they have done so in the thread before, and they’ve also asked loaded questions before. Doesn’t take me that long to get a sense that somethings off.

Or were you referring to the videos of your hero that you think I didn’t watch? I watched them, did you watch his interview with Rich Roll yet? It’ll change your life, even says so in the comments -

You were saying something about religions and beliefs and all that craic anyways Frank, what was all that about again? Didn’t catch it the first time, I wasn’t listening 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

ooooph! I must have hit a nerve with that one 🤣

What nerve could you possibly hit? You made a quip about irony in your previous post after yesterday going on how I hadn’t watched the videos, how it would go against my beliefs that are like a religion and all the rest of it. Then you’re back posting about irony so I figured what was that about?

Ahh, you’re still claiming I didn’t watch the videos. I figured I might as well ask since you were around again had you watched the video I posted. It’s hardly like you’d anything better to do at this time of night! 🤔

I live in Canada sweetheart. It’s way past your own bedtime surely?

The irony I was referring to was not only your admittance to not watching the videos, but calling the content you hadn’t watched as Broscience. And you then get your knickers in a twist when someone says they won’t click a link you put in.

Do you follow?

I do… could cut the sexual tension with a knife so I hope you’ll understand I’m not continuing down that road, don’t want to be accused of leading you on 🤔

The reason I called it BroScience Frank is because there was that unmistakably pungent smell of sweaty bollocks off the videos, y’know that smell? You do of course, but in spite of my better judgement, because I was familiar with his actual scientific research, I figured I’d give it a go. Couple of hours later and I just didn’t have the willpower in me to listen to any more BroScience bullshìt. It’s definitely tailored to the North American market, but I could see Irish lads lapping it up alright.

• Advertisement

Like I said, if you can prove what he said is wrong, prove it. Your dismissal of it is because you either don’t understand it, or you do and your Jose because it pokes holes in your argument.

You can “dismiss” it, but is it really a dismal without any evidence to the contrary? Nope, it’s whinging.

Frank you really are struggling with this one, and I think you’re really a stand-up guy and all the rest of it, so I really want you to hear me when I’m saying this -

I don’t disagree with the effects of testosterone on the human body. I never needed to watch the videos in the first place, but I did, as a courtesy, out of curiosity, not because I thought I was obligated to in order to come up with a rebuttal to something I agree with, because that wouldn’t make any sense.

Ok, I’ll assume you’ve understood now and we can drop this whole misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So is there any link to the Irish government over turning the IRFU ? seems odd no statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What the hell are you on about. There is no provision in Irish law for Ministers to take equality cases.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

That you’re only repeating the points made by FINA, World Rugby, etc (and a few grifters, in spite of your earlier claims to the contrary), is obvious. It’s not a problem though, it’s only a problem if I point it out and you tell me to take it up with the people you’re after copying your homework from, as if you’re not also in the wrong for copying homework, regardless of whether or not it’s correct! 🤨

FINA and World Rugby aren't just random people posting on the internet like you and me. They are authoritative for the sports they control. So, the fact I'm only repeating their points doesn't mean I am "copying their homework". What they have done is not a test or homework, it's a statement of principles based on reviews they have done. It's not up to me to confirm the science they are citing. It's up to you to refute it, if you want it to be changed.

You also made a point about the competition between women's rights and trans women's rights. You're saying there is no competition. I presume you would acknowledge that many women don't agree with that though? And they have a particular issue with men telling them there is no problem.

• Advertisement

That’s exactly what it means plodder. The fact that their answer is the answer to a question which isn’t being asked, and you’re copying that answer, means it’s the correct answer to something, but what? It’s not addressing it’s claims at all, never mind in any scientifically credible sense. It’s weasel-worded, deceptive, cherry-picked spin. It’s just politics, not science.

Yes I made the point that your claim of any competition between women’s rights and trans women’s rights does not exist, or is that a claim that you’d prefer I should take up with the originator and not you for reproducing it here into this discussion? I don’t agree that there’s many women wouldn’t agree with it, because I don’t know how many would or wouldn’t without at least some sort of research being done to address that idea.

That question aside, it wouldn’t matter if they were men, women, or children who agreed or disagreed with it, it’s fact, as opposed to the heat being generated by continuing to spin misleading and deliberately false information about how human rights and protection from discrimination actually operates in Irish and International Human Rights law.

Can you elaborate on what they mean, these women who object to men telling them there is no conflict in Human Rights Law? I won’t assume you’re their spokesman, don’t worry, I acknowledge that’s clearly of great concern to you that you think it’s of any relevance to me or to whether or not it changes Human Rights Law. It doesn’t.

I think we'll agree to disagree then.

Here's another interesting development. A trans woman snooker player who (apparently) didn't have much success as an amateur as a male, has won the US open as a woman. Snooker is considered to be a 'precision sport', rather than one where strength or speed are paramount, so it's thought that women and men should be more able to compete on an equal footing. Yet, here we are.

It could be that there are far fewer female snooker players than men, and standards are not as high in the women's game (as compared with other sports). Though, what implication does that have for developing the women's game? It's not a "sport" I care that much about, but it'll be an interesting one to keep an eye on.

Interesting I would have thought it would be balanced enough. But thinking about the power of the break. Also women's sport in general has a lower participation level to men.

It's exactly that the same as darts, quality of opposition and participation. Snooker and darts have fully "opens" Ken Doherty was beaten by a woman only last week who didn't go much further after the jump in standard.

The trans-woman winning in the US is no news, it's someone competing in the deeper pool going to a shallower one and winning. Well quelle surprise

Yeah as I have said no issue with some sports but at the elite level where there is an advantage Nope. It reminds me of women's tennis 1 person dominating it for so long even into retirement territory in most spots. Unlike the male game you could have someone with little experience overall but being extremely powerful or precise not saying it overly happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Snooker tables are huge, and men have longer arms and legs in general, which means the rest won't have to be used as often. Can also strike the balls harder. It may not be the most physical of sports, but the differences in the sexes give males an advantage.

It's exactly that the same as darts, quality of opposition and participation. Snooker and darts have fully "opens" Ken Doherty was beaten by a woman only last week who didn't go much further after the jump in standard.

Not to labour the point, but it's a bit different when a woman competes in a men's open event. Though it does give the lie to this idea that women's sport was only created to avoid men being embarrassed when they are beaten by a woman, assuming Ken Doherty hasn't gone into hiding from the shame of it.

The trans-woman winning in the US is no news, it's someone competing in the deeper pool going to a shallower one and winning. Well quelle surprise

Right, and that's different. It doesn't normally happen that way. You normally compete in a shallower pool first, and as you improve you go on to the deeper one.

So, the first situation is a benefit to women. The second one, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Steve Davis says the only reason men are better at snooker than women is because men are more simple, single minded and can concentrate on playing snooker 8+ hours a day to practice. The #1 female, who has won 10 years in a row, says that women are distracted by life (children, etc) and because there's no financial backing they can't give up life to practice snooker. Seems a bit cheap tbh. They both reckon women will be in the finals once that's sorted... Steve also thinks snooker is pointless, which is easy to say after making $32 million from the sport over the years...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

yeah, but what tees would they play off?

(I'm only catching up on this thread now, skipping over a few posts, have i missed much?)

Can the debate not be solved by having a trans league for both trans types?

• Advertisement

Nope. Trans people want to be treated entirely as their desired gender/sex. No differences allowed. As such, as women (Trans women) they should compete with 'other' women.

If Trans people (and their advocates) were willing to be treated as a separate group, then I'd doubt we'd have any issues at all. But they aren't, and we do have all these associated issues. That's not going to change until society starts taking a firm stand on the overall topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You would think that's the easy fix, but it wouldn't be affirming enough, so would be classed as transphobia and bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You've circled back to Negro Leagues territory with this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's been repeatedly pointed out why that's a terrible analogy. You're not debating in good faith anymore.

As for a trans league, there'd never be enough competitors to fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

they have a flag and a vocabulary to highlight that they are different. yet demand to not be seen as different.

they say there are more than two genders. yet want only two leagues.

enough of this.

As for a trans league, there'd never be enough competitors to fill it.

That's not true though. The rates of people declaring themselves to be trans is increasing each year, as are the numbers of people physically transitioning. Considering the growing influence of Trans ideology in society, and education.. we're likely to see large numbers "come out" over the next few decades (assuming the negatives don't turn people off).

There won't likely be enough competitors on a localised basis, but on a national/international level the numbers that could possibly join would be quite high.

That's a terrible argument. Race is actually 99% made up. Biological sex is not. Just do a DNA test and see what parts of the world your DNA comes from. Were all actually Mixed race if that's even a correct term for this.

Again... why such aggression towards often very leftwing, liberal women? It's quite a primitive kind of rage that hints at violent tendencies. And all because she refuses to pretend biology can just be disregarded.

"You can't be a leftie and transphobic" - she isn't transphobic. You certainly can't be a feminist and speak about women that way. And would people ever stop misusing the term "fascist". It looks stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement

I'll freely admit that I don't pay much attention to social media, or whatever is popular on the internet, but isn't that whole thing sarcasm/satire?

It always is.

Advertisement