Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys on dating sites…

Options

Comments

Some hilarious examples of profile pics, edited for either privacy or decency.

Is this meant to attract a heterosexual cisgender woman, or does it suggest some particular kink activity I’m not familiar with? 😂

His face is actually very attractive and his bio seems sort of normal. If he hadn’t posted this I’d have given him a like, but much and all as physicals are tantalising, don’t imagine the conversation might go very far; not a holistic choice for a healthy relationship methinks. Besides he mightn’t actually perform as specified in the manual 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

He obviously wants a threesome with a woman and a mannequin. Perfectly normal these days. 🤣

They are two different guys. Maybe I could get them both on board and see could we have fun. The mannequin guy had no photo of himself. The wanker had a lovely photo of his face and upper body and interests etc checked out and I was about to give a tick when I saw that. Yes I enjoyed viewing the picture but didn’t tick him. 😂

Saw another that just showed only his very unremarkable legs. I suppose he’s no good at turning on the front lens, so to speak. 😂

<Mod Snip: Not relevant and totally inappropriate in this thread>

I’m talking to a couple of very seemingly normal & very nice attractive individuals. They live quite far away, but if/when I meet I will of course let one or two trusted confidantes know of the exact arrangements & how things are going, as always I do as a matter of good sense. I should think any guy meeting me or anyone else should do the same, always good to let another trusted person know if your movements, eg in case you were being led into some kind of trap.

The worst thing about all this to me is that I feel like I’m almost selecting among candidates for a job with a series of interviews. A certain amount of guilt goes with this territory for me.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

You asked for serious as well as jokey responses OP.

so on a semi-serious note, and based on your posting style here, and leaving aside you’d be too old for me and indeed, I’m not looking anyway, I wouldn’t date you. 😀

Im not sure you’ll ever be satisfied regardless of the profile you’re looking at and you’re incredibly pass remarkable - and as for your “standards of education” remark? You’d be more successful joining an interest group of your choice where you’re guaranteed to find like minded individuals - I don’t think you’ll find happiness on an online dating site but if you enjoy speaking about your experiences here, then it passes some time for you I guess- but probably more fun if you got out there and met real people and maybe more rewarding - just a thought 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There was an article somewhere from which I recall that most of those dating websites were just in a business of tapping in vulnerable or lonely people. Most of them are "free" but as soon as you register you start getting messages which you cant read or can read but cant reply to unless you "upgrade" membership to some sort of paid status.

Most of the profiles with nice attractive people are robot profiles which are used only to push you to paid membership.

And sometimes there is the odd scammer "in talks" with scores of people in order to extort some money for various pressing issues like medicines and such. A lot of older dudes were convinced some young model from ex soviet country wants nothing else than to marry them and come to live in their cottage in Ballysticks.

The trouble up to this has been this wretched little pandemic thing 😂 that’s why I went online, so to speak.

No seriously, I’m talking to somebody really lovely who seems to have a genuine heart of gold. I have friends & relatives who met fabulous people online. But one has to have a bit of a tongue-in-cheek take on it at times, and I find the process part amusing to say the least. Back in the day yes it was interest groups, clubs etc. in recent years I had very bad health & underwent curative surgery, so that interrupted things, so to speak. Now I’m having a bit of fun!

Yeah re scammers, sensed one was about to do that so I blocked him. Plenty of them out there, they spin a sob story early.

Fair enough - good your finding some nice people to talk to - sounds like a lot of wasters to wade through

The really nice ones stand out so very much, they float to the top of the morass 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Lads are expected to send lengthy messages yet vast majority of messages don't get replied to so can the women blame the men for the short openers when it all depends on if they find you attractive anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's typical 3 guys in each 10 square miles that hook up with all the women . Typically how tinder or pof work, all the women are replying to those 3 guys only,

The nature of only being able to get a pretty shallow look at the “candidates”. A reasonably attractive appearance/presentation, someone who seems to be “normal”, and someone with similar educational/social/intellectual background, though I got him em out above for deigning to suggest the latter. I believe to be able to converse on approximately the same level of understanding is absolutely fundamental and basic, irrespective of social upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ok, in plain English (& it won’t go down well either) I uptick the better looking ones with more apparent education & shared interests. Of course I’ll be called a snob, fussy or unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I rest my case 🙄

And I suppose by your standards nobody should discriminate in any way when it comes to potentially embarking on a relationship, just accept anybody who pops up and use no criteria or discernment in choosing one against another. I’m being straight & honest about it. In your view I should perhaps take up with somebody who calls a woman a “burd”, a girlfriend a “mot”, that sort of thing? I mean we have to get real. I’m not much in poetry and if a guy professes his number one desire would be to read out poetry nonstop to his other half, I’d discriminate on that count too. See what I’m getting at?

Tried dating sites for a while but deleted them for a couple of reasons.

Was talking to one person for around a month. Found it a bit much and felt I had to put most of the effort in in conversation. He would initiate most conversations but I felt I had to carry them and with the constant messaging like every day I felt that like I had to entertain him and just wasn't really enjoying the interactions.

Anyway met up. Date was alright and after that didn't hear from him. He deleted my number on Whatsapp. Thought it was a bit much but I knew I wasn't into it because I wasn't that bothered. Still wasn't nice being ghosted though! 🤬

The premise of meeting is a “try-out” to see if you hit it off in any way in real life. It’s kind of very artificial. When you date in real life, it’s because you have already found something mutually appealing about each other. Ghosting isn’t a nice way of dealing with the end of contact, it should go something like “thank you for meeting me, I don’t think we are that suited to each other. Wishing you well and hope you and I can meet someone soon.”

of all the sites in general, I’m finding Tinder the most usable, though it has that reputation. There are some nice people on it 😉 sometimes it’s a feast rather than a famine, like a lovely menu you have to choose from. Other times you look on the menu and see nothing you could face 😂

• Advertisement

😉 Getting some good action 🥰 no seriously talking to a very likeable guy. All good ☺️ when you find you are are chatting very companionably.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I've tried all of the sites over the years. POF years ago was half decent, I find now when I was getting a match it was for a hook up. Tinder - I've never had any luck or matches. Match was probably the best in terms or actual conversations with men but nothing came of it thanks to lockdowns. Recently I tried Hinge and lasted 20 hours, my first match was a booty call.

Recently I've been receiving potential matches on match, one of whom is using a photograph from a previous catfish.

Good luck anyone on them now, seems like a lost cause to me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The pubs are back to normal now, easier to find someone there I think rather than sending off countless mails to people who have no real interest in even meeting up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Agree - though one needs wing women/men. Can be tricky if all friends are married with kids and nights out are sporadic and take arranging!

Tempted to try some of those single nights you so see on Meetup.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It could be just me as they seem to be very popular but I'm so done with dating sites/apps.

Maybe I'm just old school but I think with a face to face in a bar you can tell straight away if someone is interested and the chat flows freely rather than messaging for days/weeks online and at the end of it even if there is a meet up its like pulling hens teeth trying to get a conversation going when all you are getting is a grunt from someone who would rather be anywhere else.

And I'm sure its the same for women who end up on dates from hell with some of the lads that are on these apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Let me chime in... this is literally 2mins of work which include figuring out who I am to touch up and finding a photo to do that...

It doesn't require absolutely ANY knowledge of photoshop, etc. It is literally trying one of hundreds of presets and applying them in real time to see the difference, including hair colors, skin manipulation, (de)aging, different smiles, glasses, hair lenght, etc. Possibilities are endless from slight touch up to making a completely unrecognizable face. Name of the app is FaceApp, look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Yikes 🤭 I haven’t had too much experience of guys doing that thankfully, majority of times they look better in the flesh than in photos. I do hear from guys it happens to them a lot from women though. Don’t know how people do that, clearly the other person will be mega pissed when the two meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah one of the few good things about the apps is you don't need help from anyone else. I wouldn't mind trying the speed dating events but I'd have to go up to the big shmoke for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Thats **** crazy

Imagine a lady getting her hopes up, arranging a date, and the guy on the right turning up

Be well pissed off

• Advertisement
Advertisement