Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guys on dating sites…

• 14-12-2021 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭

Now I’m being quiet light hearted here, so some fun answers welcome as well as maybe serious ones! I’m 60, had years of serious and dangerously bad health where relationships were just not on, had radical surgery in (resultant ileostomy) and am currently no longer looking back!

Just in case anybody wonders, the ileostomy has zero bearing on situation but just needs to be mentioned.

I am online with a lot of matches, a lot with way younger guys whom I like, with mutual attraction. I would say, some of it seems too good to be true. I mean some are really attractive. Perhaps photoshopped. Maybe some real, but why would such fantastically good looking guys be still there?

I’m a fairly attractive woman of 60, pretty enough face, a plumpish figure that can still embrace tight clothes. I’m confident in my looks. Why would an attractive woman like myself be still there? As above, extreme medical situation dating for years to 2017.

I’m definitely not photoshopped, but would certainly suspect some guys of doing so? Any ideas how many indulge in photo -manipulation?

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

Post edited by recode the site on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Until you have had a video call you know nothing about who you are talking to. Period.

Try starting some video calls in tinder, you will work out who you are or are not talking to quickly enough.

To be honest I would right swipe everyone so match with all sorts, but I'd unmatch those I wouldn't consider usually unless I was being lazy. I wouldn't converse with anyone I wouldn't consider riding. In short however plenty of men are not that discerning when it comes to sex. They are for a relationship of any form though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I’m on other sites as well. I matched extraordinarily well well a while back, inotherwords I am a former private pilot, he is is private pilot in training L, woweewe. And a real looker to boot! That was months ago, my poor head was seriously messed up for about 4 months by circumstances I’ve come through.

I have a very moral outlook on my interactions à with people, I do not want to lead antibody up the garden path and met them down. It is hugely against my nature to let anybody down, I just don’t start anything with anyone unless I can carry it through.

Years before colectomy all relationships were organic, they were with people yo my got to know in person. The concept of online dating to be has been peculiar. All people who fancied me heretofore were people who actiallly knew me, and vice versa! There was always abundant passion in the background!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

I suppose some men just like older women? Or at least are not totally focused on age.

As for photos being false.....hard to say how common that is bit might be easy enough to rumble after some conversation? It could be hard for person to keep up false pretences for long?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Thanks for your post OP. It appears you're looking for a discussion as opposed to advice. For that reason I'm going to move your thread to the Ladies Lounge which might be a better better for it.

Thanks

HS

Ah yes, it’s for a bit of fun really 😂though insights are a bonus!

• Advertisement

We know images are verified in dating sites by poster having to have A picture validated on own phone. In theory I could borrow my slightly better looking friend to pose, though I dare say I might be found out 🤣. If there was a basic enough similarity, though, I might sort of get away with it. And maybe there are techy ways around it too that I have yet to know about.

I have been a tiny bit suspicious as to why some insanely good looking guys (& gals etc) would be out there on the search, unless there was some catch, like bring a raving drug addict or something. On the other hand I have a relative who met her partner (through a site), who is an absolute catch on all counts and he is without any complications whatsoever. Although she insists she never noticed he is very good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Men are individuals and not of a hive mind so can’t be expected that a one size answer will fit for all

As said earlier, some men like older women and have a fantasy about it.

Beware than some guys on dating sites already have partners/are looking for many options. Others are genuine.

It's the way of the world now, you will have your pick of this guys, should you wish.

I’m so aware of that. I don’t mess people around myself, and don’t take it either so they’d get to be toast. Don’t intend to be anyone’s side fantasy per se, I have to be the main dish. 😅

So I assume this is a big confidence boost? Enjoy it. Also, see it for what it is.

• Advertisement

My experience thus far is an ongoing slow burning chat for days, but although I’m outwardly friendly I’m always slow to really warm up to people. A guy I’m chatting with is going on a bit about wanting to be “loved forever”, doesn’t want anything casual; my response is friendship first, maybe get cosy, and remain casual friends whatever the case may be. I actually find a fair few guys can be quite emotionally intense from the outset, can be a tad off-putting to someone a bit (initially) casual like myself.

I just had to laugh when he asked “are you patient?” 😱 Had to give a blunt “no” as my true colours would emerge pdq, he says “bless your honesty!” 🤣

What platforms (apps, websites) are you using?

Out of curiosity, the free ones. Matching up with 40-somethings, who seem to like my kind of sporty look, not that I’m sporty, lol. But I somehow kind of feel very guilty about picking and choosing, it’s not really in my nature, I much prefer the natural organic way of things to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

C'mon disclose it. Give VT a chance to match you 😎

Ah for gawd’s sake, I’m a tad mysterious, but not much.

There’s a lot of totally sincere types out there, but many of those are on the syndrome, so to speak. That means there can be a slight issue in understanding. Attraction is great, but understanding equally important.

One thing I would definitely say, although this might be Ladies Lounge, I utterly welcome all inputs. Genuinely humorous non-trolling ones too, I really enough seeing things through the perspective of humour,

I’m laughing at some experiences. Got a Jesus freak type onto me, trying to convert me I suppose, or I reckon his ultimate goal might have been to try and extract money from me going on the vibe I was getting. Blocked without explanation.

Have had younger guys (yeah I’d be physically attracted, as would any older guy to an attractive younger woman) who obviously want a mammy figure type, almost certainly breast-fed as chiselers.

There’s the absolutely haggard guys, worn beyond their time, posing with pints. No-no.

There’s guys with half-faces, masks showing half a lovely face (more’s the pity if the other half is half-ok ), posing in darkened rooms: maybe grand guys with little confidence, but that give the impression there’s something to hide.

When I was really involved over getting something pretty time-critical accomplished some time back, I matched with somebody who seemed incredibly suited in his rare niche interest which I share, along with other stuff, and seemed so damned grounded. I put one thing aside for that potentially really good match, I just want going to mess uP what seemed to be a genuinely good person by procrastinating.

There must be surely better matching algorithms… just I think they cost a little bit! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its the downside of free sites, lots of timewasters also sign up with no intererest in ever meeting up.

If you want to weed that sort out the credit card has to be used unfortunately.

Yes, I know about time wasters, had one classic one looking to deceive me for money. I could see it coming so blocked him immediately. Started out by sniffing out my financial assets, so to speak. Do you have your own car? Do you have your own house? Have you a mortgage? What is your career? Are you religious, because I believe a woman can only be faithful to a man if she’s faithful to God?

Then you get at least the odd straightforward statement: “would you enjoy sex with a younger man, I would like it with an older woman, nothing else please”.

There are some sincere-seeming people on for a chat and see where it goes. You don’t want to mess up a really decent individual deserving of the best of you, whilst at the same time filtering out the people not deserving of you at all. As one of the most important things my father taught me as a teenager was always to do my best in not causing hurt to any man.

All these antigen test requirements before meeting are a nuisance, indeed aren’t we being told not to meet people outside of household/circle at all. My view on it is that if the other person hasn’t vulnerable people in his family, with this highly contagious variant, just effin well share the virus as well! 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I have a tooth missing so I photoshopped a tooth into my gob and now I get loads of matches.

Ah yeah but when you have video chats do ya keep yer gob shut, and when it comes to meeting to do also keep yer gob shut… and then when she goes to kiss you and discovers the gap with done surprise what is her reaction? 😂

Decades ago I remember kissing a guy after a fancy dress party in his car, and was horrified when I ended up with his full set of false teeth in my mouth. 😱 I said “thank you for the ride home”. He had been a flying instructor and had just become so distracted by me (not my intentional doing) that if I hadn’t taken evasive action we would have ended entangled in trees. Later his mate swore he didn’t have dentures as they had shared a room during a flying trip and he saw him brush his teeth in the conventional way 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've never done video chats on dating apps. Is that actually common? I haven't had any complaints in person thankfully. I just look dreadful in photos when I smile.

I mean on WhatsApp, Signal etc after exchanging numbers.

I am in hysterics at a PM sent to me “you are one of the genuinely pretty woman that appear on dating sites”’ 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I’ve encountered stunning looking guys on Tinder etc, I’m in conversation 😁🙏😇 some only too good to be true 🙏😁🙏

Yep like I’m cautious about why such lookers should be in sites… but then why would likes of myself be on such either 🙏😁😗

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm in my 30s and primarily go for women in their 50s and 60s. I like being single so the age gap means both parties know right away it'll never be anything serious. Suits me. I'm also mature for my age and older women are more straight forward. I don't know how many dates I have been on with women around my own age where I have to do all the heavy lifting conversation wise, it's hard work. Feels like I'm doing an audition sometimes.

I wouldn't think I'm goodlooking at all but the older women often say I am very cute and say I must have loads of young ones after me.

@recode the site PM me 😂

I'm quite annoyed as I have POF and used to meet some older women there but now they have changed their site and have max ages you can put in the filter. The max age I can put in is 44 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I've started doing it. Can save a lot of time.

I was messaging this one, looked decent, convo going alright. Videocalled...as soon as she opened her mouth I knew it was never going to happen. She was dog rough. She was talking to her young daughter too and seemed a bit of a dodge.

• Advertisement

Several stunningly attractive guys have been in touch - but it remains to be seen if these are genuine pics 😂😂😂

Post edited by recode the site on

Advertisement