Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirs Rolex Waiting List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Right, I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There’s some amount of posters here that won’t be buying a rolex due to Rolex being tacky , overpriced and only for show offs .You’d have to assume that they’ll be picking up a Patek or an AP as the Rolex dislike never seems to be anything to do with not being able to afford it.

Instead of hearing I won’t buy a Rolex as they’re a bit tacky , I’ll buy a Patek instead . You more commonly hear Rolex are sh*ite , I much prefer my alibaba €50 modded fake watch .

I fly on Ryanair because I can’t afford a private plane but I never say it’s because Ryanair is better value for money .It’s good to be honest with yourself .

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I’m not sure which category I put myself in, a little of column a, b and c I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,701 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It’s a good job posters can come to this thread to let everyone know 🤣

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

The histories have seen many wars, for resources, for religion, for land.

None as noble as the current war of “People who own Rolex” vrs people “who don’t own Rolex but love talking about them”.

I am in the latter and I am confident of victory.

Post edited by 893bet on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lads, please! Don't make me have to buy a Rolex just so I can give out about them, whilst I rev the arse out of Clio that I stuck RS logos on 😳

You’re an exception though . You don’t like Rolex and you do buy Patek .

As you head south good watch taste seems to stop once you pass limerick ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nothing gets discussion going like Rolex. You know when you look in here and a thread has 20 or 30 replies there's a discussion about Rolex. I think youtube channels are the same, picture of a rolex and views go up.

I wouldn't really be to concerned about reasons people buy them, as long as whoevers wearing them is happy nothing else matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@H_Lime - "it's kinda like the way you can sometimes expect the 28yo guy with the cap in a 2012 audi a6 to undertake you in the hardshoulder.... the same can *sometimes* be expected of *certain* rolex owners."

Sure I did all that when I only owned a cheap watch. Sans baseball cap that is and not in an Audi. You'd have to as people drive too slowly on motorways and hug the overtaking lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Overtaking lane?

That's actually the Rolex lane, cos those lads are always living life to the full in the fast lane 😉

I always thought it was called the BMW lane, but yeah let's call it the Rolex lane going forward, we don't want to discriminate against Audis etc. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm feeling persecuted as an audi driving rolex wearer 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Is this the right size? Thank you

One should just buy what one likes. Tacky is not a word I'd use to describe Rolex

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno H. Yes they have always kinda had that rep, the two tone loosely worn by Tony the used car dealer, crims and Third World potentates, though of the Rolex owners I know, none come close to fitting that description, including the sounds as a pound chap I met recently who runs a local shop and sports a well loved Sub, and who had no real clue of the hype or bubble. It was just his "nice watch". Maybe I move in different circles. 😁

And it has to be said a lot, if not most "luxury" brands have gotten that label at one time or another. Porsche is the obvious example and are also kinda the "Rolex of cars", lovely bits of kit, where values have gone nuts and every tiny change to the 911 profile is nerded over(as a hipster nerd I get that 100%)and has also been associated with the stereotypes you listed. Gucci another. Barbour and Crombie for a time. A brand like Burberry even went as far as figuring feck it, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. 😁

When I was asked as a "watch nerd I know, so I'm asking you.." and going waaaay back, one of my top picks was always a Rolex Sub(or Explorer). As far back when you could get a feck load off secondhand and their bracelets were shiíte, with extra shíte thrown in for no added cost. Actually Rolex Cellini were another I always gave the nod to, especially for the chappess who wanted something dressy, built like a tank(no pun. Cartier(tm)(c)) and not "ladies watch" sized. The other thing I liked about Cellini was because they were off piste within the brand they could afford to push things design wise and sometimes did(Tudor very much ditto). Yeah... Cellini, models where if you asked an AD to see them would cause them to faint at the shock and the only "list" is the price.😁

Today, now that the bubble is deflating, the Sub would be back on my list of "Bloody good lifetime watches for non Watchnerds to wear". Though I'd still probably say wait a bit until it bottoms out more. Or don't give a feck about the "investment/hype/daft" bollocks and buy it. On the other hand I've never had Patek or AP on that list. NOT because they're anything but bloody lovely watches, but far more because they're a bit more Watchnerd "niche" for the non Watchnerds. Plus like Seikos you can bate seven shades of shíte out of a Sub and it'll keep ticking(Vostoks also get a more than honourable mention here. Don't mention the war..). Patek... not so much. "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation" Until you smack it off a door knob a tad too clumsily. 😁 Tbh the only Rolex I could never get was the Daytona and never recommended for someone looking for a chrono . Still don't. And still wouldn't.

And yep I've owned a few Rolex. Granted, one 1918 "Extra Prima" Trench watch and a couple of early Oysters and Bubblebacks(well.. one of each). When they were changing hands for more than the current stuff. Trust me if we were having this convo in 1999 when Boards was a site for Doom gamers mildly shocked that other Real People(tm) existed, you'd be saying "ohmigod, no way!". 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I enjoy your posts Wibbs:)

You sir can wear Tony's two tone leaning on a shovel......

......or even in a lowered a6 with German style plates bootin up the hard shoulder, but I draw the line at the cap. I'll throw the blues n twos on for that.

I have never liked 2 tone watches of any make. Tacky imo

That's a ceramic bezel. It's either 41mm or more likely the previous 40mm version (judging by the thick lugs)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Would the 1mm make much of a difference? It seems just the right size? Well it wouldn't want to be much bigger.

Yes Sir!

Perfect for your wrist.

Edit: Looks like I got it wrong - it's not the newer 41mm

Post edited by unkel on

Thank you for that, very knowledgeable. That’s a pre-owned selling in Weirs for €15,000.

That’s a 40mm sub @unkel not the newest 41mm model .I would say the the most recent 40mm going by the lugs .

it is, is it this new rolex certified pre owned or just weirs themselves,

either way its at least 2k too much.

Lady said pre-owned. She said she needed to go out back to get more info but I didn't bother as wasn't going to pay that anyway. Now I'm wondering if the 41mm will be too big on my wrist

Do weirs sell preowned Rolex ? I would have thought as an AD it would have to be Rolex certified preowned .Either way still cheaper than Dawson’s

• Advertisement

They must do. I wouldn't have enough experience to know.

Advertisement