Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirs Rolex Waiting List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Well actually Weir's basically asked me yesterday to buy from them while I was on the list.

It wasn't clear from your use of language what your intent was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Some serious generalisation there and says more about your own attitude than Rolex.

In my collection I’ve about 15 seikos , panerai , Ming , g-shocks, Breitling, Cartier , Hamilton Tudor , omega , Grand Seiko and a couple of Rolex .So to say as a Rolex owning I’m all about the flex is buls*it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That's why their list is a nonsense, the list doesn't exist really because you can skip it by buying less desirable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It was clear but you chose to pick it up in a negative way and take umbrage

god bless

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

I would never waste money like that. I just don't wear watches that much. That doesn't mean I don't admire designs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why bother commenting on a thread about Rolex if your aren’t interested in watches?

I want a Rolex Submariner. That's the one I like. I don't need more than one watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Someone wants to flex a sub to his mates by the sounds of it 🤣

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

There are dozens of homages, lookalikes, of the sub, if it's the look you like, if you want a rolex either pay the grey premium or play the ad game those are the options.

Personally I bought a sea dweller 43, they are available at rrp from chrono24 if you are patient, unfortunately rrp is quite a bit more than a sub.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A SS rolex bought at AD price has always been at minimum a store of cash and most often a profitable purchase. And I say that going back over a 20 yr period

Memory is a funny thing Scwazrh. This trend is nothing like 20 years old. Take this very forum. A couple of pages in Rolex are mentioned

"there are very good places like timezone or watchuseek where you can get a bargain."

"if I was looking for a decent Rolex at a good price now I would either but a nice used one in the Powerscourt centre in Dublin or buy one abroad/duty free.

I've seen lovely submariners for around the 4k mark in Powerscourt".

And in this thread you get the gist of prices 13 years ago.

I personally know that in 2012 you could get discounts on RRP. A mate of mine asked me("cos' you know about watches") what I would recommend. I suggested a Steel Sub, or an Omega Speedy for the extra bits and bobs, or a mid range Seiko Diver for fecking about in if he didn't want to splash too much cash, and a Cartier Tank for his better three quarters. This guy being him, bought all of the above over a few weeks and got discounts on all at the dealers, including the Sub.

It was in vintage Rolex(and others) where the "investment" stuff was at play, as vintage was far more a thing then. Current model Rolex used prices were below RRP across the board and you could wangle discounts on RRP. There was also more of a price difference depending on where you bought one(same for all brands).

This went double for SS. The "store of cash" regarding Rolex had always been in the precious metal examples, because of the intrinsic value of said metals. The SS costing the same or more than some precious metal Rolex was very much a trend of the last six odd years, peaking in the last two or three.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭scwazrh

President - 8,000 - 9,000 Stg

Cosmograph -11,000 -12,000 on metal bracelet, 8,000 - 9,000 on leather Stg

That’s from the link you posted. If you bought at those prices would you have lost money ?

Maybe you mean if you bought at rrp 20 years ago and then tried to sell it the next day? If that’s the case then yes I agree but that’s not what a store of cash is.

The "store of cash" regarding Rolex had always been in the precious metal examples, because of the intrinsic value of said metals.

Not at all @Wibbs .Even now the precious metal scrap value in a two tone Rolex is about 15- 20% of its cost .20 years ago the bracelet links were hollow so even less scrap value .The store of cash has always

I don't do imitations of anything. Sea dweller is too big for my wrist size I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It doesn't have to be an imitation / fake. In watches there is a more honourable sounding word: homage. Have a look e.g. at Steinhart watches. Very well made, decent swiss automatic movements, costing just hundreds

Sea dweller isn't that much bigger than the sub41, little thicker granted but worth a try on.

Blancpain fifty fathoms maybe if you don't do imitations, came out before rolex had a sub!

It's 43mm? Even 41mm is a push.

Never heard of Blancpain. Maybe I should get one of those?

Will I wear one of those when I go in to check how the list is going for me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That’s from the link you posted. If you bought at those prices would you have lost money ?

Naturally no, you wouldn't S, because that was from before the upswing into asset bubble territory. One that is currently deflating. It would be akin to buying tulips the year before they went a bit nuts and then saying "look you wouldn't have lost money". Or saying if you splashed out 2000 quid on a 60's Daytona in 1990 you wouldn't have lost money(you'd barely break even if you tried to flog it in 93). If you bought Rolex last year before the contraction and then tried to get a "return on investment" you would have lost money. People have. Well flippers, dealers and "investors", watch fans and man maths watch fans a lot less so, because the investment angle was down the list of stuff cared about.

You claimed at minimum a store of cash(which applies to pretty much anything that doesn't fall on its arse on the secondhand market. Even a TAG is a "store of cash" and they head south like geese in autumn) and most often a profitable purchase going back over a 20 year period. That's quite simply wrong. Your store of cash 20 years ago would be losing value buying at retail, even at discounts which you could get and profit on current models simply didn't exist yet. It didn't exist in 2010, never mind 2000. Put it another way S the guy who sold his used Rolex to a jewellers in Powerscourt Centre in 09, that went on sale with a twist in it for the dealer at 4 k certainly didn't make a profit.

That's Rolex. Stuff like AP/VC/PP were on vanishingly few people's radars in the watch community. AP's and the Genta homages of other brands were a tad too 1970's for a start which was deeply unfashionable. Plus they were all a little too squeaky bum pricey for most. They only really took off after Rolex stuff went bubble shaped and crept into their price point and folks quite reasonably thought why buy a Rolex I can't get, or need to fellate the AD to get one, or pay through both nostrils if I can, when I can get into much higher tier and quality kit around grey bubble Rolex prices.

Oh and now the madness is sub(no pun)siding I'd be going back to my long time general recommendation of a Sub for the chap(or chappess) who wants a "good watch for life".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

If 41 is a push it's an older sub you want then.

Blancpain was the original dive watch (with a bezel at least panerai was probably the original dive watch) (awaits wibbs giving me a history lesson and making me look foolish) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

You should definitely get one of these. You heard about the brand 1 minute ago so seems like fate really. Look forward to the pics.

I was wondering about the older sub for the 40mm.

Appreciate the history lesson, interesting

Just googled it there. Still prefer the look of the Submariner. This is my favourite of all the watches I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@Wibbs - "that was from before the upswing into asset bubble territory. One that is currently deflating."

In fairness you were talking about the Rolex asset bubble before they near doubled in value and then lost maybe 20% or so. In other words, you got it completely wrong 🤣

Not that I have a great track record of investing myself either though. Thankfully I have left it mostly to my pension fund manager who has done a decent job. My own "play" portfolio is worth more than the money I put in a good few years ago, but only just. My watches are worth more than I paid for them, but only just. I made decent money buying and selling cars alright, particularly EVs. Crypto - don't mention the war.

The bubble is still deflating and there are fewer buyers. Investors, general interest and fashion are drifting away. The last one being the biggie. I also pointed out "If you bought Rolex last year before the contraction and then tried to get a "return on investment" you would have lost money. People have." Your would have lost by your own estimation 20%. So I got it "completely" right. One of the sure signs of an asset bubble(and the Rolex example ticked every single box) is those invested in it refuse to believe it is one, even when it's deflating in front of them.

Well... 😁 The first true designed for divers watch was the Omega Marine of 1932. A dinky tank style watch fully inclosed in a "waterproof" case(an idea that had been around since the early 20's).

Panerai weren't too far behind them to be fair and took off with WW2. The British made do with dive watches made to a similar specification as 19th century explorer pocketwatches with lugs attached and Longines movements. The latter invented the external bezel but for pilot's watches.

It was Blancpain who brought it all together. The CEO of same was a keen scuba diver in the early days of that sport and nearly died on one dive because he had lost track of time, so he got to work. Added the bezel, doubled the seals on the crown so it would remain water tight even if the crown was pulled at depth and made the rear case seal more compressive than a twisting force(Vostok took that idea even further). A couple of boyos in the French navy were also looking to kit out their frogmen and found out about Blancpain's CEO and his experiments and added their own suggestions. The resulting watch was accepted and bought by the French navy. Other navies followed suit. Other brands like Enicar, Rolex, Bulova, Longines and Omega saw the market moving and brought out their own more for the civilian market. In my humble the BP "original of the species" is still one of the coolest looking.

Though again in my humble their current offerings are a bit chintzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

And it's on my list to do a homage/mod of Wibbs, there's very decent cases, dials and hands available for them.

Re the tulipmania I've made my tuppence known :) Personally I outright reject the brand and the backasswards ad exceperience. WTF, "making friends" with one hahaha.

Also it's worth mentioning they attract a niche of either newely moneyed chavs or old money snobs who are vocal about their lifestyle and status choice that's worn on the wrist. For the record I wholly accept there's folks on here and elsewhere who are 100% not that way. But yeah it's kinda like the way you can sometimes expect the 28yo guy with the cap in a 2012 audi a6 to undertake you in the hardshoulder.... the same can *sometimes* be expected of *certain* rolex owners.

Advertisement