Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirs Rolex Waiting List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've not encountered the proof of ownership issue, and TBF I don't own anything likely to trigger that question.

But, the keeping docs on your phone/cloud is a godsend.

I previously lived in the canaries and had residencia there. Which meant I could avail of tax free/tax back shopping when I was back here or elsewhere in the EU.

I moved home before the birth of the smartphone, but? We're it available to me at the time it would have made travelling so much simpler. As it was, I had to travel with a folder of docs and excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Interesting to know, not something I’d ever considered

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep customs have certainly copped onto the watch thing. Years ago a chap I knew in the international modern art trade, a dodgy trade in many ways, who knew I was into the watch thing and did tell me that some were starting to use watches, very much vintage back then, as "portable money" that you could waltz across borders with. Though back then he did say the people doing this were avoiding the obvious like solid gold Rolexs with diamonds kinda thing and going for more obscure "dowdy" less obvious pieces that still had an "agreed value" to them.

We had a chinwag about it, as he knew little of the vintage watch world and one thing he noticed and pointed out at the time was the crazy prices for some vintage steel cased watches(ditto for platinum and white gold). Usually more, sometimes way more than gold versions. I pointed out that in the 1950's if you were in the market for say a Patek, they were cray cray money and you wanted people to know it was special so the vast majority went for gold and steel was very rare, hence the values now. His take was rarity was one thing, but a steel cased watch is going to get a lot less attention than gold for those who wanted to avoid attention, especially from customs.

I've only once gotten attention from customs in an airport(Heathrow), well a security chap to be precise. When I was going through the bleepy arch thing and had put my stuff in a tray, one of the security guys wandered over and put the talk on me about a Trench watch I was wearing that was in the tray. He had his great grandfather's one he wore in WW1 handed down through the family. He was surprised to see me actually wearing one and wanted to know if that was OK. I told him, yeah, with a service and avoiding water like a Gremlin after midnight they were remarkably robust. He had a G-Shock. And a big feck off assault rifle thingie. 😁 Nice bloke.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FocusST

Has anyone had any luck with Lunns in Belfast? If you were to by a couple of IWC's or Tudor's with them what would the chance of getting a Sub in the next 12 months be?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,040 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I found them more straight talking than any of the sales people in Weir's I have spoken to over the years. You need to go there in person though. Tell them your plan to buy high margin less desirable watches if that will give you a very good chance to get a steel sub.

Last time I was there (near the top of the Rolex boom) and they told me I could go on the waiting list with a very decent chance of getting a watch sooner rather than later if I were to buy PM or even TT Rolex sub (I was under the impression of 12-24 months). The latter were selling privately for a few grand above retail at the time. They also told me that I would have zero chance on a steel one. Refreshingly honest. Weir's will always put you on "the list", which is a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 FocusST

Ok - probably still the same. I don't think all that much heat has come out of the SS Sub Rolex market since the peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I agree with this but many won’t.The fact is that SS subs , OP’s , GMTs and even yachtmaster have dropped less than 10% at most with 5% being more realistic. All the lower level rolex are still making good money providing you didn’t buy at the absolute peak.

In summer 21 I bought a sub date from an AD for €8800 and sub for €11000 grey . Both would still sell above that now.I swapped the the sub for a Wimbledon DJ at end of 21 and that’s still worth what it cost .

And let's not forget that the lower end Rolex steel sport have seen fairly steep retail price increases over the last few years. Your sub date that was €8,800 less than 2 years ago is now €10,450, that's a near 20% increase. Grey of course they still sell for substantially more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

I just don't see the appeal in Rolex anymore,

There are so many knock off versions of them floating around its taken the shine off them,

Every kid in Dubai is flexing a 1 or 2 thousand quid knock off, Some almost impossible to tell from the real thing ,

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There fake

Apparently not ...

https://www.watchpro.com/criminal-assets-bureau-says-luxury-watches-are-used-as-currency-by-drug-dealers/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

A fair bit of heat is gone from it. Massive price rises. Massive inflation. And secondary market still downwards. If the secondary market is not rising by at least 5 percent per year then its inflating away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You could say that about any luxury item

Anyone who wants a fake will buy a fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lot of really low quality fakes post in newspapers as watches confiscated in raids, some of the worst fakes available. But not doubt plenty of real ones floating around in that world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

dont believe everything you read, i cannot even tell if the watches are genuine from the photographs, they are seizing so many they only show 8 beaten up versions - it is hardly andrew tate levels if richness on display

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Ridiculously cheap? I guess so. Even now after the big drop in Rolex values from the peak, people are falling over themselves to buy them for €12-13k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭scwazrh

A SS rolex bought at AD price has always been at minimum a store of cash and most often a profitable purchase. And I say that going back over a 20 yr period .

The “ big drop “ only affected watches that anyone with any basic knowledge of watches knew not to buy at the wrong time .I don’t know anyone that has lost any money on a Rolex .

Now by “know “ I include mostly online people as majority of real people I know laugh at me for wasting my money on watches.

Ridiculous expensive imo. The jump over past few years just silly

Well you are simply wrong. The Rolex retail price of a steel submariner is thousands below what people are willing to pay for it. So it's ridiculously cheap. If you can get one. You could immediately sell it on and make several thousand profit.

• Advertisement

Yes I get that part. If I could get one I would keep it. I would hate to jump a queue ahead of people who genuinely want the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You wouldn’t be the one jumping the queue though.

Interesting article in todays Indo about expensive watches, love the line from Succession.

https://archive.ph/xn9Nm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Exactly, the queue is not based on any order but rather on how much sh1t your prepared to buy before you get the stuff you actually want:) For that reason I'm out.

I'm not even sure I can afford a Rolex Submariner. No way would I be buying other watches worth a few grand each just to get there (maybe)

I know what you mean. I wouldn't feel right buying a watch just to make a few thousand on selling it

nobody is asking you to so don't worry about it

i formed a relationship with an ad purely from popping in to see him now and then and showing him some unusual watches in my collection, then we exchanged numbers and became friends and hey presto i get the heads up when new stock has arrived that is on my wish list

If a person is going in clearly showing they want to buy anything to flip and make a few quid they will be put to task and asked to but up some less desirable items just to boost sales and they might not even get a call for anything decent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

And that comment right there is the problem with people who are into Rolex, they've no interest in the watches, just the flex, the brand association and being able to tell their mates in the pub about their 'investment'. For all the losers I hear **** on about their investment, I rarely see them wear them, because it might devalue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I’ll stick with my 9 seikos. 😁

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

Oh no I’m so crushed you really hurt my online feelings

on a serious note I wasn’t saying nobody is asking your opinion, I said nobody is asking you to buy watches you don’t want to buy another watch 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement