Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex trade-down

Options
  • 09-04-2010 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hello Everyone

Hopefully those who follow the watch market might be able to answer a hypothetical question. If you were to trade a 18 kt yellow gold Rolex Daytona Cosmograph (2001 model, no papers, excellent condition) for a 18 kt yellow gold Rolex President Model (similar age, excellent condition, no papers) what would you expect in cash value for the difference in values? What would be your best guess for the value of the second-hand Daytona by itself?

Thanks in advance!

BBQ Guy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The president is this the same as the Datejust?
    I would guess around 9-10k for the Daytona, not sure at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I think your best bet would be to ask in a jewellers that sells second hand Rolex watches. If you're in Dublin I'd recommed Dawson Jewellers or one of the 2 places upstairs in Powerscourt Centre. Neither of these watches comes up for sale often on the various watch trading sites online, so it's very difficult to give a valuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

Thanks Guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I think your best bet would be to ask in a jewellers that sells second hand Rolex watches. If you're in Dublin I'd recommed Dawson Jewellers or one of the 2 places upstairs in Powerscourt Centre. Neither of these watches comes up for sale often on the various watch trading sites online, so it's very difficult to give a valuation.

What's upstairs in the Powerscourt centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

bogmanfan wrote: »

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer - my experience of the Dawson Jewellers is that their pre-owned prices for bog standard 1980-1990 Rolex was the same as the new RRP in London.

That was at the height of the boom when nobody knew the value of things so they could charge what they wanted. Might have all changed now.

Anyway - had a chat with a guy on the London market and if yours are very clean, no significant marks or scratches prices are:

President - 8,000 - 9,000 Stg
    Cosmograph -11,000 -12,000 on metal bracelet, 8,000 - 9,000 on leather Stg

These are his sale prices for authenticated watches with original box, papers etc. Not having the box and papers will take the values down about 10%

Figure about 15% commission for the trade in

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer - my experience of the Dawson Jewellers is that their pre-owned prices for bog standard 1980-1990 Rolex was the same as the new RRP in London.

That was at the height of the boom when nobody knew the value of things so they could charge what they wanted. Might have all changed now.

Anyway - had a chat with a guy on the London market and if yours are very clean, no significant marks or scratches prices are:

President - 8,000 - 9,000 Stg
    Cosmograph -11,000 -12,000 on metal bracelet, 8,000 - 9,000 on leather Stg

These are his sale prices for authenticated watches with original box, papers etc. Not having the box and papers will take the values down about 10%

Figure about 15% commission for the trade in

Hope this helps

It actually helps quite a bit! Actually your friend is right on what I was thinking in terms of second-hand prices so I feel a little better. Thank you very much!

Advertisement