Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirs Rolex Waiting List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,219 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I had to google that. First thing I came across is a very detailed page long description of how to actually blow your AD like a boss 😮 it's not gay, but make sure not to play with yourself while serving the AD. Also, do not swallow

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Lol wait for the wife offers. But the funniest ones are actually real, guys asking if it's too early to ask the ad out to lunch, or what gifts to bring when you drop in. It's basically like dating questions from Patrick Bateman, but the objective is a bump up the mythical list for a blro. I would pay 8x msrp to not count myself among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Out of curiosity is a white gold sub harder or easier to get than a SS one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Much easier. A lot more people willing to spend €10k on SS watch than there is willing to spend €40k on a watch .

Post edited by scwazrh on

Last time I was in Lunn's in Belfast they even told me I could go on a reasonable waiting list for two tone sport watches (we're talking €15k or so retail here, not the €40k plus for fully gold) whereas I could forget about any waiting list for steel unless I had history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Be careful at the moment, the precious watch market is in the doldrums. The joy of being offered a precious metal rolex should be tempered with the fact precious now trades around or under retail on the secondary market. So it will cost you a little to own the watch should you sell later. As above though we are generally talking serious wedge for a new precious sports model watch....35-50k so usually not the entry point for the beginner, and if your not a beginner you already know the game.

I love precious but would not accept one at retail at the moment unless it was special dial daytona like the green, a olive dial day date, or a a white gold pepsi. Subs and Root beer in precious are depreciating watches currently.

When I asked they said a couple of months, asked where I was from and recommended trying local as I guess they’re not interested in selling to someone not local either. In Paris at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

A lovely watch, although maybe a bit stealth precious for people. The smurf never the most popular watch. I would pay grey for a Hulk or batman rather than buy that. Nothing against it, just doesnt look as mega as the pricetag.

Appreciate that, but I do love the stealth factor! In other news yellow moonswatch was available when I asked!

Two tone still sell for a few grand (15-20%) over retail, so it would be a pretty safe buy. I was actually surprised that you could go on a waiting list for one. And this was coming up to the height of the boom late last year. Not in recent months.

• Advertisement

Bi colour subs still sell above retail but not much else does.Two tone datejust are cheaper than stainless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I would love a Rolex Submariner, date or no date if available. I am not prepared to buy other products at an AD just so I can get one eventually. Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Probably, the arse has fallen out of the Rolex market, Chinese tourists not traveling as much at the moment and pressure from all the new boutiques open in Dublin will all effect availability. No doubt they'll probably spin you a story, but reality is that watches are more available these days

Alternative is to try a police auction... It always surprises me that every time the gards raid a criminals home they come out with a bunch of rolexes... How are they getting such large quantities but the average punter can't? Apparently the AD's are the only ones with access to sell them... I just can't figure it out...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or they're as fake as a fake thing BF?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No, they have them to retain money without using bank accounts or cash. If the money needs to be realised a Rolex was fairly easy to cash in. Also you can travel in a plane with multiple rolexes, but not as easy with a suitcase full of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

the watches worth 100's of thousands that cab pull out of criminals homes are 20 year old fakes most of the time, i have yet to see one posted by cab that is real.

Watches are available but it just depends who you are and who you know, the sales people know they are handing out the potential for serious profit to people so they pick and choose who they call from my experience, i know a few sales staff and they all say the same thing and if people do not want to play the game then grey dealers are the other option or another brand.

The internet isn’t for everyone

What is a good link to a Garda auction? Thanks

A no date sub is worth €12k which is 30% over the retail price of €9,300. This proves you can't just go into an AD and pick one up. Of course you could get lucky or make the AD real happy somehow. But I wouldn't count on it 😂

If I buy this:

will a Rolex dealer like Weirs adjust the strap to my size? Will they service the watch when needed etc? Thanks

That's an older pre-ceramic sub. While a very elegant design, their bracelets aren't great compared to more modern ones. Any jeweler can adjust the bracelet for your size for a very small fee (or might do it for free) and if the watch needs a service, the likes of Weir's (Rolex AD) will send it off to Rolex. This isn't cheap, even if the watch doesn't need any parts, you won't more than a few hundred change from a grand

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I don't even know the difference between ceramic and pre-ceramic. I believe the servicing is very pricey. Luxury items always have a luxury upkeep

have you tried travelling with a watch roll or rolex through customs ? they ask many questions and if you cant prove ownership they can seize them or charge you duty

Must only relate to Rolex. I often travel with 2+ watches and have never recieved any attention.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I’ve never had an issue with customs and always travel with at least 3 watches if for longer than a weekend .Most of the time within europe so maybe it’s different going further afield .

That's the difference. Free movement of goods and persons within the EU. If you are bringing them in from outside of the EU, this could be seen as trying to evade VAT. With one watch one your wrist, you almost certainly will get away with it but if you had several and your luggage was searched, you might have to answer questions. If I were someone regularly travelling to outside of the EU with multiple watches worth thousands, I would carry some sort of proof that the watches were personal and already in my possession before I travelled. Even some old personal pics of you wearing them will probably cover it.

It isn’t just related to Rolex I was stopped coming into the Middle East with an ap 2 Rolex and a Jacob and co, luckily I had the relevant documents to hand otherwise they would have been seized or customs due

TBF an Ap , 2 rolex and a Jacob &co is a bit different to the average watch collection for a holiday .

I’ve never even held a Jacob & co. They seem to range from naff to exquisite though. The godfather model is a piece of art.

When you say relevant documents - what did they require?

• Advertisement

proof of ownership and taxes paid, i have the receipts saved to files on the phone

Advertisement