Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Yes there are characters that will randomly say "we need to talk when you have time" and you'll get some dialogue leading to side quests.

I'm guessing it's always named characters, but possibly maybe not all named characters I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

As I keep saying I only dip in and out of the game so I have not done much or have many hours logged. And I have mostly just done side and Faction missions.

But it does seem to me that XP goes up really slowly. Even though I obsessively sleep in a bed before I turn any mission in so I get the XP bonus.

Given the sheer size of the Skill tree - especially as each skill has often got 4 levels - it seems like getting all the skills especially the higher tier ones is going to be a real slog? Or do main missions or something else dump a ton of XP on you somewhere along the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

This game is so good. Just done the Red Mile and afterwards had a massive shoot up on the fanciest ship. Well on the inside it was fancy. Shame you couldn't steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I think I've made a massive rookie mistake. This is one of my quick saves, Ive two others that are in pretty much the same place.

When I arrive at Europa I more or less get immediately destroyed .

My only manual save point is back at level 1.

I cant warp out or do anything it seems.

Am I doomed to starting again?https://www.xbox.com/play/media/EBNAEPH23D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I had something similar at one point, I just keep trying to instant warp away. It took a few times, but I managed to get away in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The more points you put into the grav drive syatem the quicker you jump, if you have time you could put as many points as possible into the grav drive, shields and try and run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

So one of my auto saves gave me about 20% health so as soon as I spawned in i banked hard left and made a beeline for the nearest star. Once i got about 5000m from the attacking ships it allowed me to warp out. Phew!

I didn't think ship combat should stop you from warping.

It hasn't for me anyway.

On PC I press M to go to system map, quickly hit TAB twice to get to galaxy map, then select a star to warp to. This works for me even in combat.

Having a decent amount of points in the grav drive is now my go to for when I first drop into a system as I've found that's the most likely time I'm gonna get ganked 😁

Has anyone noticed the points for systems randomly get reassigned for some reason the odd time?

The other night after every jump points in the engine system was reset to one for me. Pretty annoying actually

• Registered Users Posts: 19,839 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That happened to me after I acquired a new ship through bloody piracy. This was the first ship I have had that couldn’t jump unless you powered down the shields or weapons to give it enough leeway to power up the grav drives. Then when I switched to another of my 10 ships, I wondered why I got cleaned up in seconds after getting jumped after a jump.

Then I realised my shields were powered down, which was what I had powered down in the previous ship, so I think the settings, like contraband, might follow you from ship to ship. Maybe that is what happened?

Anyway, the underpowered ship was this:

Including the flight deck and it's embarkation air lock, it's 6 decks I think, and 4 of them each have more floor area than any of my other ships. The dining area has seating for 8 and a private dining room to the side for 4 officers, though it's classed as needing 6 crew. Cargo capacity is slightly more than 2,200 :-)

It's so big that it barely fits on the pad at New Atlantis. As you come off the top of the ramp up to the pad, you almost have to duck your head to squeeze past it.

This game is fun. This behemoth landed in the distance when I was doing some resource gathering for outpost building on an airless moon with low gravity, so I hopped my way over to have a look. There were 4-6 zealot marines prowling around the base of it, but having sussed how this boarding caper works, I left them alone and snuck on board. Then I had a firefight on each deck as I fought my may to the bridge, using a lot of med packs in the process.

I then nervously approached the pilots chair and tried to sit in it, but was told I am not licensed o fly B class ships. Bummer, I thought that was it, so after a quick look around, I disembarked and had another fire fight with the marines doing a bad job of protecting it from scoundrels like me, and reluctantly returned to my ship.

I wrote a long TLDR piece about the saga of how I finally managed to acquire the ship, but snipped it. I can post it if anyone's interested.

I can't jump if in combat, a warning comes up to tell you of this if I try to.

This game just keeps getting better, the more you put into it, like outpost building and weapon and equipment modding, which may not have the insta-kick of endless firefights, but is somehow more rewarding because you increasingly gain satisfaction from the benefit from the work you put in.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I can't jump if in combat, a warning comes up to tell you of this if I try to.

On this, you can actually jump, but it depends on the method used to jump there. Either you can jump by going into the star map and jumping from there, or you can jump by going into the missions, selecting a mission and jumping from there, or selecting a mission outside the system you're in, then going back into the game and pointing the ship at the mission marker and jumping from there. Can't remember which one it is.

• Advertisement

It looks like the negativity has abated? Is it safe to enjoy the game now? 🙂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Seriously? People are allowed to talk about their grievances with the game if they want.

I never said they weren't allowed to.

There was a week where it was nothing but people complaining. I stopped reading because there was no point. In fact I stopped posting because I thought I'd let people have their rant and then check back later. That's the opposite of not allowing people to express their grievances.

I just wanted to chat about enjoying the game, but that wasn't possible. There was no one to talk to about that.

Imagine that, wanting to discuss enjoying Starfield in a Starfield thread.

People are entitled to not like it, and I assumed it would die down eventually. I was right.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

I'm loving this game. Regarding back through the thread about no exploring. I have done tonnes of exploring just land on a marked spot on a planet and explore that place then bring up scanner and you see places all around out in the distance. A lot of walking or jet packing to get there. Once there it's usually something good for exploring. You get credits and weapons and XP points for finding the place plus points for killing the enemies which there is usually a lot of. I was exploring one place and went up to the wall vent and opened it up, walked inside and there was contraband inside(nice few extra credits).

Lock picking. I have 5 more locks to pick and I can unlock picking harder locks. As on my travels I have come up to locks that are above my level, really annoying as I will never remember where they were in order to come back to it.

Higher level loot is usually behind the higher locks, I've found some absolute beasts of guns behind such doors.

Yeah those missed loot chests/rooms always give me fomo in these games so I level picking perk every playthrough.

Think I'm at stage 3 of the perk currently.

Definitely one of the first perks to level up. There's nothing worse than a lock you can't get past either because of the difficulty level or because you're out of digipicks.

I regret levelling up the max weight perk, it seems like a waste of skill points now. I've learnt to stop picking up every piece of crap I find, it was actually becoming stressful. I've a couple of favourite guns and a favourite suit. If it doesn't beat what I have it doesn't get picked up.

Mats and resources on the other hand, I still have to pick up everything I come across because I just don't know what's useful for the different craftables or what is rare.

I love how you have to use the perks before you can level up again.

Yeah I tried explaining this earlier in the thread to no avail. But you're spot on, you don't need to pick up everything you see. Just take a quick look and if it doesn't appeal to you then leave it. I leave 99% of guns behind.

Some people make the case that weapons should be scrappable but I can't stand that game design in other games. It just incentivises you to pick up every single gun you see for a few upgrade materials. So boring.

I much prefer Starfields implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Actually finding lockpicks hard to find. Had loads then leveled up and poof, very few loot of them. Having to buy them now.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've been the opposite regarding lockpicks so far, I've encountered so few safes I've never regretted not spending a skillpoint there.

• Advertisement

One thing I really dislike is the low storage capacity at outposts. How can a big gas container hold less then I can?

Also is there a way to have all your crafting materials centrally accessible like in Fallout 4? At the moment I'm just having to build a heap of storage crates at my main outpost and transfer everything thing back and forth to myself each time I want to build something

Edit: I stand corrected, see brianboru post below. Seems outpost storage is accessible in crafting/workbenches.

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

I agree, it's way too small. Each container capacity should be multiplied by ten.

One thing to note, all outdoor storage is the equivalent of the fallout workshop. So anything you place in them is accessible at all crafting and building menus. This includes transfer containers, manufacturing units, your ship, and of course the outdoor containers.

The personal chests inside buildings don't count. I use those to store smaller items like meds, etc.

See my post above.

I've delved very deep into outposts so let me know if you have any questions.

Ah brilliant! That makes much more sense to be honest. I knew something wasn't right if you had to constantly transfer resources in and out of your personal stash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I must be one of the few people who is enjoying the outpost building lol

I followed the advice from posters here and using my simple outpost to sort my hoarding problem.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Something minor I just copped on to.

If you see a random moon with a "Civilian Outpost" or "Mining Outpost" (not abandoned), those locations are essentially little villages and will have a few minor services like a shop, mission board and bounty clearing service.

Sometimes they have a generic quest as well.

It's handy if you live away from the systems with major settlements.

Ah nuts, I've been using the personal crates since they are much easier to make on my particular planet and can hold 150 (structural can be found on every second tree there).

Does levelling up outpost engineering help much? Does the cost in skill points and research projects make life much easier?

I do actually enjoy the outpost building a lot, there's just some part that are quite frustrating, or could be easier (system links is another one)

Does levelling up outpost engineering help much? Does the cost in skill points and research projects make life much easier?

It gives you access to larger containers. I think some skills may reduce the cost of building and researching. It gets you access to more than this, but in terms of storage you get bigger containers.

There are some core materials you need for outpost building. Aluminium, Iron, Nickel, Cobalt, Copper and Titanium are the main ones.

You can extract most of these with a few very basic outposts. Just set up some power, a few extractors and something to store it in. That's all you need. If you want to add a little more like a landing pad you can but you only need the bare essentials for extraction sites.

Within 24 hours you have a few hundred of whatever resource you want.

Check out this comment I made a while back on where to find these:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121094806#Comment_121094806

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,839 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm loving the outpost aspect. I have now spent a couple days where I have only killed about 20 NPCs because I have been too busy with outposts and ship modding, and most of those were boarding and snaging another large Zealot ship. I am also loving the ship modding, now I have managed to get the points and skills to do it.

I have 3 outposts now in the same system, mining 6 resources, all being fed to my main base. It's crazy that a 'wharehouse' only holds 75, wheras the physically smallest of the storage crates (they all hold the same) holds 150.

I was just dumping stuff on the hab floor, but found that it can fall through the flloor onto the ground underneath. I had to empty a hab, delete it, pick up all the things that had fallen through the floor, then rebuild it. Minerals don't fall through the floor, so this is the best way of storing them when you have thousands of units of them.

I currently have a workshop hab with 20-30 crates in it for all my resources. I'm thinking of just parking my 6 deck massive ship on the pad and use it's 2200 cargo capacity to store everything. I am fairly sure there is a lot of He3 on the ground under that hab, so I'd like to delete it and have a look.

Another way to do storage, which might be more efficient, would be to just mod a ship and add a lot of cargo modules to it and park it on the pad.

Exploring, I found this little gem last night. On a 65" OLED the vistas in this game are simply stunning:

Advertisement