Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2021/2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Potential for some very mild days ahead, at least it will feel like it shortens the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Wrong month for very mild temperatures 🙄 Can we get lucky for once? Usually the high stays close to us and then just sinks allowing the westerlies to take over 🙄 Rant over 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Its looking like a Euro high and lets face it, we all know a Euro high is not going to drift north and will most likely stay put for weeks on end.

I’ll take a balmy 14c southerly with windows open and nice lenticulars over wind and rain any day so a 1988/89 winter may not be a bad thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Me too. Couldn't sleep the other night for the cold 13 or 14c will be most welcome. Especially if it stops the daily rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Good old pub run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

This morning's run looks good as well, -8 uppers over Ireland for Christmas Eve and the big day itself (well early morning anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Only 360 hours to go, what could possibly go wrong 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Bah humbug.......6z doesn't quite make it but at least something to keep an eye on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think we will see more interesting charts for Christmas develop over the next few days hopefully. A definite rapid cooling trend is beginning to show up now with the GFS as it may turn much colder around Christmas or during the week between Christmas and New Years Day. Fingers crossed this comes to something for us.

Yes heights attacking the PV from both sides and we still only end up with 0 degrees 850s!

Still though, massive potential starts to build from the not so crazy FI timeline, so tickets bought and fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think there will be numerous attempts of blocking over the next 3 to 4 months so several chances of tapping into real cold, however Ireland is a tiny area surrounded by water that is too far west and getting the cold with instability to line up perfectly for us takes alot of luck and several tries usually. All we need is one of them to line up perfectly for us between now and end of February and it would make this winter a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It's definitely a pattern emerging the last few runs with the large blocking high attempting to make a move north west to more favourable positions to unleash cold. As with the 6z, the 12z is a case of nearly - but the high collapses back over us. It's been a dull few weeks for coldies and model watching but there's finally a bit of interest starting to crop up in the reaches of FI again.

GEM 12z making the same attempts but we stop at Day 10.

Not sure where this all fits in with teleconnections/background signals, I'll leave that for someone else to discuss...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

White Christmas anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I am waiting to see myself on how everything evolves as there's nothing 100% to suggest to me that we'll see wave breaking occur during mid to late December with possibility of a high latitude block setting up by January time whether Greenland or Scandinavia. The MJO is projected to slowly move through a decently strong amplified phase 7-8 progression path. La Niña winters with phase 8 MJO are typified by a negative NAO signal so increased risk of Greenland blocking there.

Meanwhile further aloft, the stratospheric polar vortex (SPV) continues to rage with stronger than normal zonal mean zonal winds in the upper strat. A weakening is forecast but this is expected to bring the winds back towards their climatological average than anything and we are coming up to the most active time of year for the SPV anyway so average is strong. So if there was to be any blocking any time soon, it wouldn't be stratosphere related and would entirely be the result of external drivers like the MJO/tropical amplification. There has been some suggestion I've seen that a strong SPV would cancel out any chance of a -NAO or "traditional impacts" of a phase 8 MJO La Niña which I am not sure whether to believe or not, as never heard of the stratosphere affecting the MJO - I've heard about the opposite before and makes sense as particular phases correlate with Ural blocking or Aleutian troughing which disrupt the SPV.

Anyway we'll see... the trend is for an anticyclonic period starting later next week and maybe for a while after that too if the long range is correct. Any possibility of frost will depend on where the high sits. If it sits to the east/southeast of the country, Ireland would likely be in a southerly to southwesterly flow with mild and cloudy conditions - we seen this very pattern in late December 2018 and 2019. If it's more over the country, the chance increases with possibility of inversions under windless conditions (what some like to call "faux cold") and wouldn't it be very 2021 to end on a calm note?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tony Manero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Another near snorter from the pub run tonight. Things are looking interesting at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

it’s a tease at this stage but something ill be watching with excitement. Slight adjustment is all that’s needed to put us in the freezer for Christmas

CFS 6z turns us very cold after Christmas and places us in the freezer for first week of January and again later in January with an even colder freeze up. The GFS keeps us high and dry keeping the proper cold limited to the eastern half of Europe with Scandinavia and Greece turning bitterly cold over the next few weeks. Hopefully the GFS will trend more towards todays CFS.

CFS has us high and dry up to about the 27th of December and quite chilly from frost/fog. The high begins to move towards Iceland/Greenland as we head towards New Year Eve.

By New Years Eve winds are biting in from the east with -10C uppers heading westwards across Ireland.

January 2nd looks rather unsettled and bitterly cold, Potential for plenty of snow and blizzard conditions in places.

It remains cold and snowy up to the 6th of January and then a possible Storm Emma style situation as a low tries to move in across Ireland to introduce milder air but we remain on the cold side with winds screeching in from a bitter continent driving bands of snow across Ireland.

The milder air eventually wins out by January 10th but not for long on this particular run as there is another bitter freeze up occurring one week later which if if verified would be brutal cold.

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that we will at least get one of these freeze ups for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Can't post charts for some reason, but a ssw is on the cards according to the gfs.

Not sure I'm finding any SSW on the GFS. There does appear to be a slight to medium warming occurring over Russia in the run up to Christmas but compared to a SSW it's very weak in comparison. For an SSW you would need the warming to be in the red colours, particularly the darker reds towards the core. In this chart we only have the yellows. It is a warming but not a warming which would displace or split the PV in 2.

On a completely different note it looks as if the next 10 days will be mostly dry if not completely dry in some places. There is some rain due tomorrow but after that we will be high and dry until either the Atlantic comes back or we get an unstable cold plunge after Christmas. If neither of those happens we could be completely dry till 2022 if the high pressure sticks around for several weeks.

I hope we're not spending the next two to 3 weeks chasing high pressure watching cold unstable plunges go everywhere except Ireland. At the moment all options are on the table and even Christmas Day itself is far from decided upon. The CFS is still playing around with a cold north-easterly around Christmas and some GEM and GFS members also turn us bitterly cold from around Christmas. The majority of the model runs keeps us high and dry until the new year so let's hope for once we get luck on our side and get a direct hit from a very unstable and bitter setup over at some stage over the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

If we get high pressure weather i hope its the clear frosty type. Certainly don't want a cloudy high,which be bland and uninteresting as hell.

Unfortunately I think a cloudy high could well be on the table at least to begin with, (the coming week) and then maybe during Christmas week the high could well be clear and frosty if we get the high centered right on top of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Apologies, I was under the impression that if there is a significant siberian warming to take place it can result in a large displacement not a full split but would still be a ssw event.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Interesting trend for later next week with heights being forecast to be more and more west/NW. Last three GFS runs for example below.

GFS 12z just after Christmas looks like it's about to unleash the freezer but however Ireland is still high and dry at this point. Would like to see the high progress further north and west on the models over the coming week.

Christmas Day looks cool and if this verified it would probably be the coldest Christmas Day since 2010 with temperatures around 3 to 6C.

By 28th of December we are getting very close but not quiet there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I'm liking current developments... we are potentially heading towards a proper cold spell 👀

ECM joins the trend and sends us into the freezer for Christmas week and beyond...

CFS 12z currently updating and we look fairly cold from Christmas Day on that too, but will the high get far enough north and hold it's position to allow the Siberian express?

The next few frames after this could get interesting or will the high slip back south-eastwards again.

ECM Day 10 🥶 Great set of runs today. Hopefully not all gone in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Indeed PokeHerKing. Up until now I’ve noticed (and a lot of others) that the morning models [the 0Z’s] are never as good. Why the hell is that?! They always seem to bring us back down to earth with a bang.

Post edited by esposito on

• Advertisement

Certainly not gone this morning, still lots of potential but ECM not quite as good as last night to my eye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement