Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

As for prediction plug the numbers into this

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP its a good of a prediction as you'll get

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks, used that and it is coming back as 3,100kwh for my location. I wasnt sure how to calculate the azimuth angle so just put in 40. Does that angle not change anyway as the sun moves, I dont really understand what they are asking for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Azimuth is the slope of your roof. You might be installing them on a flat garage or a vertical wall. 30-40degrees is a good shout for most roofs in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

The azimuth is the orientation angle of the PV modules relative to the direction due South e.g. -90° is East, 0° is South and 90° is West.

• Advertisement

ok so lets say my roof pitch is 45 degrees and it is facing due south does that give it an azimuth angle of 0 degrees?

Just confused as the tool @graememk posted asks for both slope and azimuth

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I got a energy cost forecast for the next 20 years from National Development Finance Agency (NDFA) (who hired a consultant) for a Project I was doing over a year ago. They predicted a -5% (yes negative) reduction every year in energy costs for the next 20 years. Reason being that more and more renewables will be coming on stream and energy will become cheaper...you can see their reasoning. The report was done just before it went all mad but I cant see energy prices increasing every year for the next 20 years. In our CBA we decided to hold a neutral estimate saying prices would stay steady...but who knows

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

Roof pitch has nothing to azimuth, you need to enter both values as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

What do installers normally charge to optimise a panel ? I am pre install but carefully monitoring shadows on the roof and expect 2 or 3 panels may need optimisation

Thats interesting. Id tend to agree because as oil and gas are eliminated so too are lots of costs to get it to market. It costs $300k-$500k alone just for a single oil tanker to get through the Suez canal and the journey is only really starting at that point. Then refining or the costs of LPG storage arent cheap either. Plus the costs of the wars to secure supply, the Iraq war alone cost $3 trillion, that gets paid somehow. Then youve the OPEC cartel price fixing, it is just not a free market and they slow production to raise prices all the time. Renewables can eliminate all those hidden costs and wastes from the current price of energy and if solar gets even more efficient then we're into even more gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

All true but without plentiful battery/storage, renewables won’t replace fossils. Great when the suns shining or the winds blowing or both but what spans the shortfall or the peak.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Where are you getting 12 cent night boost rate? I mean todays rates... I need to renew and night rate is mostly the same as FIT these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Electric Ireland night boost between 2am and 4am on their smart meter plan is 12.x cents per hour..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

They shouldn't charge anything extra if fitted at the time of the install, 2 second job they just click at the back of the panel.

Just the price for the optimizers which can be anywhere from €60-100 per panel.

However there is a huge shortage of them at the moment so they might not be able to source any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Interesting. I am still on day night meter but rate for night is not that good. Must do the sums if its time to consider smart meter for next winter. I dont night boost anymore now as even cloudy days are filling my small 5kw battery

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

I am still learning all about Solar PV and batteries. I hope to have an install in the next few weeks. I have a question about Givenergy batteries.

I was quoted for a Givenergy gen2 5kw hybrid inverter with a 9.5kwh battery. Now the installer came back with quote with 2x5.2kwh batteries for the same price. This is due to the weight of the larger battery (110kg) being lifted into our attic.

The 9.5kwh battery states that depth of charge is 100% and mac charging/discharge current is 80A vs the 5.2kwh battery - depth of charge is 80% and max charging/discharging current is 50A.

Is this a poor replacement? Would the charge/discharge rate be a problem? In kwhs what would I be able to pull from each setup? I have linked the spec sheers for each battery:

https://www.givenergy.co.uk/pdfs/products/datasheets/giv-bat-9-5.pdf

https://www.givenergy.co.uk/pdfs/products/datasheets/giv-bat-5-2.pdf

Thanks in advance

Having lifted the 8.2Kwhr battery myself with the aid of one of the sparks, moving that around is seriously a hefty weight. 85Kg or something. The 9.5Kwh is over 105kg. It's a real issue moving it even with 2 people, so it's probably not a runner getting that up a ladder etc through a attic hole in the ceiling, unless you have pulleys etc

Capacity wise the 2x5.2 isn't a bad replacement. Your Gen 2 inverter will be limited to 3.6Kw discharge/charge rate anyway. Yeah, ideally you'd want the 9.5, but if it's not a runner you'll be ok with the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

im not 100% sure but i think with the 5.2 you might be limited to 2.6kw to/from the battery even with the gen 2 inverter. might be worth asking on the givenergy community forums. i have a 9.5 and 5.2 and get 3.6 to/from the batter with gen 2 - the 5.2 is still heavy..

If it was 1x 5.2Kwh battery then yeah, I think your limited by the battery discharge capacity, but I think (and I'm not positive) that if you have two of them in parallel then you are limited by the inverter's capacity in this case 3.6Kw. As mick mentions might be worth checking that with the installer and/or Givenergy forums.

What are your alternatives though? Let's say you ARE limited, do you have another option with another supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭deezell

Compare the price of the Sun2000 3KLT inverter in this partial Swyft quote screenshot to a random search for a straight market purchase. Installation is already included in the first list (6 panels, brackets, etc), for €5409 in the Swyft quote, so the inverter price is it's actual price.

€2879 from Swyft

€936 from Midsummer.

That's 3 times. Grant quotes are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Dravida Nadu

Hi,

I am new to the world of Solar PV for Homes.

Can i have your views on the below quote please?

3.78 kw system, 9 x 420 watt jinko panels, 6kw hybrid solis inverter, Clenergy mounting system

Fully installed and commisoned, BER included

€8,300 excluding vat, Grant of €2,334 so €5,966 after grant.

5kwh puredrive battery is €2,400 extra.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Find somewhere else to install the larger battery; you will be pulling in power from the grid at peak times when you turn on your oven / boil the kettle with the smaller one. You need that better discharge rate to avoid peak usage.

Or go with a battery that is built up in smaller 5kWh modules so it doesn’t have to all be shifted into the attic in one big unit. Huawei Luna battery for example.

Question here for people that have East / West system installed. On a clear evening like now; how much are you generating on your West facing panels at 19:20?? I have 18 SE ground mount panels and they just went to 0 W in the last few moments.

Im considering sticking another 8 panels on the SW rear roof to extend production into the evening.

Question might be better asked over in the Daily PV production thread, but here's my output today. Both strings combined as well as East and west split out. Note I have more on my west than my East string, but unfortunately trees across the road don't help from 5pm onwards.

When you say "I have 18SE ground mount panels and they just went to 0w in the the last few months" - can you clarify that? What do you mean they went to zero. Are they broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭con747

"they just went to 0 W in the last few moments." Moments, not months they said.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I agree this should be moved to the daily pv, but i'll continue here for now.

NE 4.2, SW 4.2 - V low slope though (agri shed) Wind has dropped, and skies cleared this evening.

Ah sorry. Moments I meant. Not months.

your E panels really take off in the morning.

yeah; I’ll post in that thread thanks. You’d wanna get a chainsaw to them trees :)

Sometimes I misread things too :-)

I did suggest a can of petrol and a zippo, but council would have issues I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭deezell

There's two of the smaller batteries, 2x5.2kwh, which exceeds the capacity of the singe larger 9.2kwh battery.

• Advertisement

It’s not all about capacity. It’s also about the charge and discharge rates of the units. How fast you can charge up the battery from the grid during small window of cheep rate at night; and how fast you can discharge during the day is very important. The poster is asking the right question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement