Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WLB2023

Thanks for reply HotSwap. The second system is only about 400 mm off the ground and weighed down with gravel (no concrete or screws) so cheap to install.

The system size is a bit of a balancing act - any larger and I would exceed export capacity during summer, even with a 5KW battery. Any smaller and the system would have minimal impact on the A2W during the winter months but let me know if you think otherwise. I understood any restrictions from a planning perspective had been lifted??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

As bullit says, the 20 degree slope will suffer more in winter. Sun will only ‘graze’ it as it's so low in the sky. I've both the normal house roof and low angle on a flat extension roof (maybe 20 degree slope - never checked it). Lower angle does suffer more in winter, I know from my stats. But winter output sucks anyway, so losing output them matters less.

Also lower angle won’t ‘self clean’ any crap off it from just rain (but steeper angle will). Like moss from the gutter falling onto it. Or even sand when we get it in the air from time to time. Main roof doesn’t have that issue. Plus kids / animals could be more inclined to climb on the low angle one?? They won’t be able to on 40 degree one. But aesthetic wise, the lower angle might hide it from view more.  

As it’s all ground mounted, have you considered adding a small E or W to is? E for morning sun. W for evening. 6.4kWp facing S will produce a wild amount during the long days, you’ll fill any battery many times over. That's a great size system you're getting btw! If you’ve even a small E or W, you can extend the day. 

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

@DC999 - main reason for the small system is cost. I was going down the DIY route, have a mate that will put panels on the roof no problem but story's of not being able to find a reci to commission the inverter and sign off the nc6 etc.. has put me off for now. I've bought all the KIT too, panels, rails, cable etc.. My plan now is to get a complete install with large inverter and i could then add a second string of panels, another 2.4kwp.

If anyone has a contact for a reci who would commission the inverter/consumer unit and sign nc6 i could go back to the diy route.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

The system export is limited by the capacity of the inverter that you install; not by the potential generation of the panels that you connect.

If you’re already running an A2W heat pump; I suspect you could benefit from considerably more than 16 panels. And I asked because if your ground mounting you likely have more space available.

get your NC6 in asap to lock in a 6kw inverter. You’ll be limited after may.

Planning basically lifted if your installing on a roof (apart from offset distances from edge of roof)

some limitations still exist for free standing installs. Needs to be behind the front wall of the house; max height off the ground and also max surface area of panels permitted. Can’t remember the exact numbers so you’ll have to go and read the SI to get the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭con747

I agree it should be looked at, I got my system Feb 22 and from what I have seen with quotes since then is they have increased by about 25/30%. Now maths and technology I love like gherkins in my McDonalds so will leave that up to you lot! Take the vat off and do we kind of get to a level seesaw place now after the turmoil the past year and inflation?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Thanks for this, I am hampered by velux windows on the roof which I can either mostly get replaced by slates and leave just one velux or else go for the smaller system. However you got me thinking of adding a pergola like structure and adding panels to that now to maximise the south orientation. Would ideally like to get 10 panels instead of 6 as will definitely be going down the ev route in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Niall2188

Hi all, this is an incredibly helpful thread!

I've finally got around to getting quote and while price is the driving factor I'm also taking equipment and vendor experience/reviews in to account. One of the front runner at the moment has provided me with the following quote:

12 x PV Solar panels (Longi, power 4.9), 5kw Solis hybrid inverter, 5.3kw Weco R20 battery, k2 solid rail for slate roof, installation, BER, the works.

This is coming in at net 10.5k after grant and excl VAT.

I wanted to post here to see how that sounds to all you knowledgable folk in the building.

The reason I'm keen to move fast is I fear 'price increases' will cannibalise the VAT exclusion before long, similar to what we've seen with the SEAI grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

its seems good to me.. i got few more panels and more battery for about 1k more back in november so id say you are not far off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

I'm assuming the quote is €12,900 before grant of €2400. Here's your materials shopping list.

BER cert brings it up to about €7,500. That leaves €5400 from your contribution of €10500, plus grant of €2400. The installer will not pay the listed prices for the materials shown, more likely will receive a trade discount, in the region of 10-15%, increasing gross margin for installation to about €6400, which is roughly half for materials and half labour of the €12,900.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

This really needs to be brought to the attention of our TDs and anyone who will listen.

Pure money grab for 1-2 days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

20 panel 8.3KW system

6kw Hybrid Inverter

5KW battery

natural slate installation

10500 after grant and less vat

BER not included

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭topdecko

wonder if i can get advice on this offer from an installer - based in north west.

4.1kW system €8,509 10 panels , 3.6kw inverter - would cost 6109 after grant

optional extras - hybrid inverter 950e. Puredrive 5KW battery 3.5k

hot water diverter e630

Is it worth getting the hybrid system installed with option of adding battery in future? Hear different things about batteries and obviously they add hugely to the cost.

Is price reasonable - have little frame of reference here and whilst i like doing DIY around the house - no way i am arsing around on the roof so definitely going with installer.

thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Hi

I am due to get installed in early May with 7.11 kwp, givenergy gen 2 5kw inverter with a givenergy gen 9.5kwh battery. I am currently on a 24hr electricity plan with EI (smart meter) which is due to come to an end at the end of May.

During the summer I plan to charge my EV at night (Leaf 24kw) on cheaper rates unless car is around during the day. In the winter I plan to charge both the EV and battery during the night during a cheaper EV boost rate if possible.

My question is, how long would it take the 9.5 battery to go from low to 100% each night? I am looking at the smart plans which have EV rates during the night:

EI - 2 hours, BG & SSE - 3 hours, Energia - 4 hours.

Energia is a 2 year contract which I am not too keen on. BG and SSE have higher peak rates.

The inverter (gen2) can charge the battery at 3.6kw per hour approx.. so a empty batter would take 9.5/3.6 hours.. you probably wont empty it though every night.. i find i set my system to charge from 2am to 8am.. its finished charging most nights by 430/5 but leaving it set to charge means the house load 200 watts or so is covered from the grid at the off peak 20 cents per kw rate.. at 8 then i let the battery cover the load.. i looked at all the plans and to be honest stuck with EI night boost.. their 'mid peak' rate which is 11 to 2am and 4am to 8am is lower than the others.. so while others might have a longer window of cheap rates their other rates are higher.. standing charges etc also factor in.. one thing ive found is that with EI once i had my system they started paying for FIT.. ive seen others here have a lot of hassle getting paid for their export which kinda has put me off changing from EI. Looking at the Givenergy portal my battery was still 66% when started charging at 2am and was finished by 4am.. i have a 9.5 and 5.2 so bit more capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭sligopaul

Assuming it required 9Kwh of charge, and with charge rate limited to 3.6kw, it would require 9/3.6, = 2.5 hours. It will consume more than 9kwh of energy due to charging efficiency, in the order of 85% to fully charge, so expect to consume about 10.5 kwh to fully charge your battery.

Thanks again for your help. I was thinking of the same re EI and their night rates. Also, they don't have a peak rate between 5-7PM like the others.

the peak rate may come but if you can cover it with your battery and don't use much above the 3.6kw load should be fine

That's usually a busy time at home with electric oven, hobe, kettle etc. I am veering towards EI at the moment with a lower night rate + 2 hrs EV rate.

• Advertisement

yeah same here.. i try to stagger appliances being on to keep the load down but its not always possible.. some grid import is hard to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭somedood

I got the following quote.

10 x JKM420N-54HL4-B 420 Watt Panels (Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.)

1 x SUN2000-4KTL-L1 (Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.)

After Grant price of €6,865.00

If I include a 5kwh battery the price jumps to €12,325.00 which seems like madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

I’ve a Huawei inverter and I’d think again about it if I were you. When I got the inverter I didn’t realise I was locked into only a single Huawei battery or a single LG Luna one. And they are mad expensive as you see. Supposed to be more efficient than other batteries as have less losses (from what I understand it’s as there is high voltage DC from inverter direct to battery). But takes a lot of that to fill a pint!!

Ask why are they providing that inverter and see what others inverters they offer.

Huawei are hybrid inverters (IE battery ready)...if you can afford the battery. So I don’t have a battery. Fine if never getting a battery. I thought I didn't need one with an EV in the driveway a lot. But it would help a lot if I did (can run the house from filling with cheap night rate in the winter).

@HotSwap has those batteries and is a fan. But I’m not. 

Less importantly, Huawei inverters don't easily integrate into home Assistance, if you want to add simply home automation at a later stage. If you're somewhat technical that might interest you. Could get an electric rad to come on when a battery level is at X%, or you start exporting Other inverters do much more easily afaik.

I can’t fault my huawei system. I knew I wanted to pay a premium for higher charge and discharge rates (5kWh on both sustained) and I’m happy I did. My goal was to only import energy between 2-4 am and I have 100% achieved this.

I was able to integrate my huawei system in home assistant very easily. I have several automations doing things that no inverter / battery manufacturer allow natively that I feel are key to getting the most out of the system. I just followed the guide here:

the best thing about it dynamically changing the operating mode of the battery based on different conditions. For example it allows me to decide what % to charge to based on the following days forecast.

or just recently I got a great suggestion here and I charge up to 80% in the morning; at which point I set the system to feed excess PV to the grid (having the space in the battery prevents the system from clipping during the peak times) and once the peak solar has passed I change the mode of the system back to use excess solar PV to charge the battery.

here is what it looks like in home assistant

Graph of import /export:

To actually comment on the quote. It’s frankly outrageous how much he’s charging for that battery. The cost of a Huawei Luna control module and 1 5kWh battery module is 3350 ex vat right now. And it’s a 1 hour job to install it (that’s for me who never did it before).

So your getting charged 2110 euro for a one hour job to install the battery :)

for the 5460 you would be paying this guy you could nearly have 10KWh (cost is 5822).

they are pricy; but they aren't nearly as bad as some installers make them seem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone used Ecoplex and if so would you mind DM'ing me please?

Hoping this is ok with the mods. If not apologies and please delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭tech

Who provided that quote if you dont mind me asking, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Found this quote in my email that was sent in Feb but was missed by myself

12x Longi 450w Silver Framed Mono solar panel

Solis 6kw Hybrid inverter inverter

Eddi V2.1 Immersion Controller

5 KwH Pylontech

Totals

Total before tax €10,925.11

VAT at 13.5% €1,474.89

Total including tax €12,400.00

Total after Grant €10,000.00

Seems null and void now seeing as its looking like we'll only be moving house when the ESBN changes reference inverters comes into play.

Does anyone have the Solaredge Home Hub Hybrid inverter or the Sungrow Hybrid inverter? I'd be interested to know how there 200% oversize capacity works in reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement