Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Similar to my best.

10x420w Tiger Neo N-type

1 x 5kw solis hybrid

€6033 after grant

Thinking of going with it and see if I need a battery at a later stage.

Interested to know why are you going with a 6kw inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

two quotes:

1: 8x 400w Recom Puma + Solis Inverter (power output not noted in quote) + Eddi + BER = €7970 after grant

2: 8x 400w Leapton + Growatt 5g Inverter (again power output not noted in quote) + Eddi = €5840 after grant

Unless there's a huge difference in quality in the panels I can't see me running with #1 (assuming a BER is worth about €300)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

What is the story with the 6kw inverter rule change from may 31st. Read back but still a bit confused. Currently have a 6kw sofar. Are they saying you can install 6kw anymore after this time so installers won’t have one if you have a failure ?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

I am starting to get some quotes for a East/West install. With the cost of batteries I am thinking of going without initially. Do you see any problem with me getting a Solis hybrid inverter now and getting batteries in the future at some stage?

One installer told me that he only quotes for non-hybrid inverter if I was not getting batteries from the start as he said that down the road batteries may not work with hybrid invertors being installed at the moment.

Does that make sense? I know that non-hybrid invertors are cheaper than hybrid but I was hoping that at some stage that I would get batteries and just add them to a hybrid.

What are your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there any update on rules or thumb now?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

Went with the max plus gives me more scope for future and has higher output current but from end of may this is being stopped. as the guys have mentioned in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mioniqa

Apologies if this is a really dumb question.

Am i right in saying there is no point in getting a system that's larger than 6Kw as the inverter limits you? We use 12,000KwH per year as we've two EVs. Does this mean I'm never going to fully cover the cost of our electricity with solar panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You can go larger than 6kW and plenty of people here have. I have 8kW of panels on a 6kW inverter currently but most of the time the output is lower than the max of the inverter anyway.

For a normal install you will never cover your current usage. Even if you made 12k units in the year they would not be spread evenly through the year for your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

The 6kw refers to inverter size. This is the max amount of power you can send to the grid. In my case I have a 6kw invert but 8.4kwp. It’s an east west split so will rarely suffer from clipping in the better months but should get me closer to the 6kw on the swing months and some in winter.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah would agree, I also have 8.4 on a 6kw inverter, (NE/SW) The most ive seen a single string get is 3.6kw.

I have clipping in may/june where the sun is high, and still relatively cold. I didnt get any clipping on the perfect days in August, It was too warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

We are getting quotes at the moment and have had 2 site visits. Both wanted to bring wiring from attic to fuse box through trunking and floors (hollowcore)

Is there a good reason why they dont want to go external? I asked both but responses were "shrugs"

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Usually it's cheaper to do it internally (and can be easier depending on your external walls). External wiring needs to be waterproofed etc. I've mine external from the attic down the side passageway wall and into the Consumer Unit. No bother from the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭podge3

Strange, I would do anything to avoid running cables externally on my house, I hate the look of them.

I ran 10 sq internally myself for my Zappi, heat pump and solar PV installations. The electricians for the jobs said they would probably have done the cable runs externally.

not a fan either but already have a Siro cable so one more wont matter

Another Question if anyone can help

We are considering an Eddi and whether it is a worthwhile investment- Say a 12 or 13 panel system with 5 or 10KW battery depending on budget.

Right now we have natural gas central heating and hob . we use the gas to heat water for 45 early morning and 45 early evening . We are on a good rate €0.10 / KWH although i know it could double when we come off contract in summer,

Is an Eddi still worthwhile?

Thanks!

EDIT - I realise now that its not a question thats easy to answer :) . i'll check meter next time. its probably 10 - 15 KWH per day so there would be a payback

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Re the Eddi, we got one, it's great for convenience but on a pure numbers basis, you can probably export at 24 cents and use your gas at 13 cents to heat the water. If you have a lot of excess solar and you go across 200 euro then you have to declare the excess as income.. I'm not to bothered about payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I've had several quotes. I am going with the second cheapest due to responsiveness of company. System I am going with is costing €6,160 and they take over the grant burden of waiting.

8 x Jinko Tiger 420W panels (3.3kWp)

6kWh Solis Hybrid Inverter (model TBC)

BER included

I will add a battery later.

Lead time for install in only 2 weeks, but I need to get earth-rod and bonding and tails done, so need to wait for ESBN to to connect those before system can be turned on. How common is it for an install to be done but left idle waiting for ESBN to connect larger tails?

Stay Free

i think you can get all done and leave the tails to be done after the install? esbn wont do the earth rod or bonding.. when my tails were upgraded for ev charger the installation was done (new earth rod, already had bonding) then i phoned esbn and they sent out an engineer to swap over the wires.. 15 minutes outage.. well should have been

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

My FIL just said he would do the earthrod and bonding. He is willing to run the tails too, but I think I will let the solar installers do that to avoid any question about certifying it. Upgrading the tails is something I wanted done anyway. I just hope ESBN can send someone out quickly once everything is in place.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Took about ten days for them to come out after I phoned..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An autoquote, to save me laying out the specifics of my own quote/situation. A combo of Irish Life incompetence and a rapidly filling schedule for the lad who I'd agreed to go with for my work has left me casting my net around again for this install.

I am also looking again at prices for purchasing the equipment myself and getting it installed by hiring a roofer and a sparks. Not a "self install" but rather a managed one by sub-contractors.

I have had a quote from a roofer so far and they'll install the panels for €1k, I can buy the same spec gear as in my quote, albeit Longi rather than Jinko panels landed with VAT paid for €5.5k for a total before getting hold of an electrician to wire up and commission of €6.5k

Now how much might an electrician charge? Is I appreciate a piece of string question but even at €2k, that brings the total cost to €8.5.

Now I want to make crystal clear, I'm not complaining about the margins being charged locally. Installers carry a huge burden in fixed costs and just because I can buy a panel cheaper doesn't mean its a bargain. A local installer has to deal with warranty and standing over their installs as well as the costs of doing Business in general.

That said, If I'm happy to take the risk of warranty repair/replacement via China and apart from any restricted electrical work, undertake my own Tech support? Its money that is better in my pocket.

Has anyone hired a sparks to wire up and commission their system? If you have, how did it go and does anyone know anyone undertaking that work in the Limerick area?

I appreciate that not going via an SEAI registered contractor leaves the grant on the table, but it still, with the caveats above noted works out cheaper than a grant aided install.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

I would think that some installers would be happy to install a hybrid inverter without batteries - several of the quotes I've had are with and without batteries but the inverter is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmares2

Hi

Afters having installed Solarpanels with a Huawei inverter I am now looking to add some batteries to the system.

The price quoted seems weird and on the high side of the spectrum;

So a Huawei Battery system contains the following components:

1) Battery management sytem

2) up to 3 5Kwh batteries

1). for BMS + 1 battery 6960 euro

2). for BMS + 2 batteries 11560 euro

3). for BMS + 3 batteries 14200 euro

As mentioned the prices seem high and there is this weird in consistency with regard to the price of battery 2 (4600 euro) and battery 3 (2640 euro).

There is hardly any cost difference I think between installing additional batteries as the batteries modules are stacked on top of each other and the connection is made between BMS and inverter. So no additional work which would explain this difference in price.

Following up on this how easy is it to order a battery from another Huawei installer and let them do the installation?

Anyone having had experience with that?

Jos

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

Does anybody know when the Zero VAT rate kicks in for Solar Panels. Just seen the article.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41107297.html#:~:text=Households%20installing%20solar%20panels%20are,is%20to%20be%20completely%20abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Came on here to find this out too. Am hoping it's 1 April or even backdated to 1 Jan.

Also wondering how it works for installs with deposit paid but not completed. Is VAT on final invoice or initial quote. If it was 1 May for example it would be worth pausing install until then.

Vat is calculated when the final invoice is created, it's unlikely to be back dated. (Well before yesterday)

I wonder is it only on the supply and fit, and not supply

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

article says supply and install. sounds like a similar piece of legislation to what they have in the uk where it only applies to supply and install.

call me cynical but can't see the consumer being quids in when this is rolled out.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

So on my quote there is a single VAT rate on everything, 13.5%. Is it this rate, I.e. 13.5% on full invoice that is being reduced to 0%?

• Advertisement

Yeah, that vat rate should go to zero.

Won't know for sure until there is official revenue guidelines

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement