Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

In Northern Ireland it’s 0% on domestic green goods from the 1st of May . I wonder will it be similar date here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm due to confirm my install date tomorrow and pay a deposit. Will this apply to the whole installation (panels, inverter, battery, other equipment) or just the panels?

Wondering should I hold off now!

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Munster Blogger

I just had my install go live last Thursday. I’ve not paid the invoice yet as I’m waiting on the BER assessment as it was included. I’m wondering can I hold off a week or so and request a new invoice when the vat changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

but the installers already paid for the gear with the existing VAT which they must charge and repay to Revenue.. unless there's accounting wriggle room

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

They can reclaim the vat they paid as Normal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There's no issue there, it's claimed as normal at 23% and invoiced out at 0%, instead of 13.5% whenever it comes in.

Vat on solar panels isn't an issue for any business that is vat registered ( or even flat rate farmers too)

Vat registered businesses calculate the amount of vat from purchases and subtract it from the amount of vat on sales and pay or claim the difference from revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone know if there is an angle here to use the vat exemption for a self install battery upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

I'm guessing it's not clear yet but any idea if this only applies if you're buying from an Irish supplier?

I was planning to bring in a lot of panels from China directly myself (I'm an individual not a company).

Would be great if the panels were VAT exempt, but I'm guessing they may not be.

It only will apply when getting them supplied and fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Ok thanks, good no know. As suspected that's no use to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Received this quote this morning:

Components:

Electrical Components:

• Panels: 12x JA Solar 460W
    • Inverter: Solis 5kW
    • Hot Water: Eddi Solar Diverter
    • Mounting System: Van der Valk
    • Projoy Shunt Switch
    • Eastron PV Check Meter
    • RCBO
    • DC wiring (Double
    • insulated)
    • AC wiring
    • Electrical Conduite
    • DC and AC Isolators
    • Battery Isolator
    • CT-Meter 

Price is 11,900 pre-grant so 9,500 post grant. according to http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ it's super expensive but not sure where to go for better quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I had the electrician that originally wired my house do the AC side of my install, not at the same time. This included an additional small consumer unit and cabling etc as the inverter is not in the house. I had the inverter mounted and the DC cabling completed before he arrived.

He had no issue doing this, I then set up the inverter.

Hard to say what it cost as there was other items done at the same time but probably a couple of hundred would have covered it if he was just doing the inverter and none of the other AC works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for that info. It's been a while since I've had electrical work done on the house but I'm fairly sure I can dig out the sparks info from the cert. See if he wants the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

the eddi maybe inflating your price. You dont have a battery which makes it look expensive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am in the same boat. Paid the deposit and was waiting on paying the balance until I get the BER Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Munster Blogger

I’m keeping my expectations low, from my understanding with typical vat changes it goes by date of supply of survive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yeah that's my thinking as well - any reduction will be a bonus but not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi all,

The recent info on the vat being removed from the solar panels got me to enquire about having solar panels installed. This is the quote I received today. Does this sound reasonable:

"Thanks for getting in touch, as a starting point I have attached the quote and brochure for a 10 panel 4.1kwp system with a 5kwh battery and a hot water diverter, a 4.1kw system would come in at €14750 inc vat and have a grant of €2400 available from seai leaving the net cost at €12350 inc vat and the vat amount is €1750 which hopefully will be discounted leaving the total closer to €10600"

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I got a quote for exactly same set up. And it was €10600 including VAT, which I think it's still expensive. So your installer already pocketing potential VAT removal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Rogtronic1

Hi all. Im closing in on the system I need/want. Have 3 aspects so the 13 panels are spread across them (hence optimisers). Was hoping for someone to sanity check me.

5.395kW of Solar Power

13 x Jinko 415 Watt panels

Huawei 6 kW Inverter

Huawei 10 kWh Battery

13 x Huawei Smart PV Optimizer 450W

€19,700 before grant

Do you need 13 optimisers ? If it’s a 2 string inverter one direction of panels could go on one string

otherwise I would say the quote is on the high side .

I’m getting quotes for 13 panels inverter and 5kw battery at in and around 11k after grant . Some more , some less . No eddi or zappi

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kirnan

Finding it difficult to judge what's good value or not atm.

I received this quote and would appreciate your feedback.

12 x Phono Solar N-Topcon Bi-facial 420W Full Black Solar Panel (5kWh)

Solis Hybrid Inverter RHI 6 kW-48ES

Soluna 5.37 kWh LV Wall bank

My Energi Eddi Hot water Diverter

€ 11,421.25 Total after grant (VAT at 0%)

Or without the battery:

€ 8,796.25 Total after grant (VAT at 0%)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I've not been keeping a close eye lately on the state of the market, but that's not a terrible quote. I'd think long/hard about the Eddi hot water diverter, you won't make your money back there as with FIT (Feed-in-tariff) it's better usually to export the solar unit of energy at €0.20 or there abouts and heat your water at cheap night rate with some people paying as little as €0.10. Most tanks are good enough insulation to keep the water hot for 12-18hrs, but with an Eddi myself, it's nice convience to have hot water 7-8 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Is this the first zero vat quote received based on the proposed greens zero vat on solar pv?

Im in middle of finalising a quote but it still includes vat, might see if I can get it zeroed.

I came to a similar conclusion with making money back on the water diverter but I like the idea of being able to heat the tank without putting the oil burner on or worrying about having the immersion on during the day.

VAT reduction has already been approved afaik? Starting from 1st May.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

I'm down to 2 quotes and I would appreciate your feedback.

18 x Q cells panels 405W

Solis 6kw hybrid inverter

2 x pylontech batteries (5kw)

Total: €9865 (0% VAT, after SEAI grant of €2400)

18 x Canadian Solar 395W

Givenergy Hybrid inverter (gen 2, I assume 5kw)

Givenergy 5.2kw battery

Zappi V2 untethered

Includes BER

Total: €11,008 (0% VAT, after SEAI grant €3000)

The 2nd quote includes zappi and BER. Are there pros and cons with Solis vs Givenergy? Solis is 6kw and Givenergy is 5kw. Is that a major issue? My setup will be split between East and West roof.

My EV is a 2015 Nissan Leaf (24kw). I work mainly from home. Last year our consumption was 10,000kwh. We use electric showers. I have a smart meter but I am still on my old non-smart 24hr plan.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Electric Vehicle Home Charger Grant is another €600

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement