Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

If you have a supplier you are going with just get them to submit the NC6 form before the deadline and make sure ESBN have received it by email confirmation.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Look at the spec of the inverter. Can it handle two strings of panels? Are you facing all panels the same direction toward the sun or are you split east/west etc. I assume it's not a hybrid inverter? Which is fine if you don't intend adding battery storage

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Stupify

It's not a hybrid inverter and the panels will all be south facing. Looking at the inverter I believe it's only one string it can handle if I'm reading it right.

its fine just doesnt give you expansion options in the future... have you more space on the south facing roof? you might want to add more panels at some point and if so will need to replace the inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Stupify

I got you, so asking for a larger inverter with more strings allows that expansion option. There will be space left for expansion so I think best to allow that option.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

OK I didnt realise the NC6 could be submitted in advance of installation. Apologies I should have checked that. I'll run that option past installer and see how they react

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Mr Q

There will be a space between panels, this could easily be 20mm between each depending on the clamp/mounting system they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Just called a supplier (from list on forum) for a quote as I'm exploring getting solar installed. I want to maximise the output as much as possible to future proof the installation. Neither of us working from home but I work shift so am at home during the day regularly. With that in mind I said no battery needed for now.

They told me that they are fitting 5.5KW inverters going forward due to the change from ESB in May.

Rough quote for a 6KW system with Sonis hybrid inverter, EDDI and no battery is €13k. That's before grant. Have emailed pictures of the roof now so I'm waiting on a more accurate quote. Not sure how many panels that includes, but it's more expensive than I expected anyway. Will try a few more suppliers and see what they come up with.

Naming installers not allowed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Edited, thanks. Perhaps delete my quote from your post as the edit doesn't take effect in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

I checked the NC6 form and it says 'confirmation the settings have / will be applied' with a yes / no response. So maybe it can go in ahead of time.

I have seen some boardsies saying when they checked with ESBN to make sure the NC6 was received they were told it was sent in a couple of months before they got the install so I would hope you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭idc

At time of my install NC6 had to be submitted first, as you were supposed to wait a certain number of days for a response - I think if you got no response it may your application was accepted, otherwise if you did get a response application was rejected. But i think the rules around NC6 changed, especially in cases like these new estates where every house has 4-5 panels installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

Over sizing 50% for high summer still leaaves you skimpy in the dark days. And doing tasty calculations tha get upskittled by 'events', not so great either. It does mean, obviously, that each successive panel addition will give diminishing returns. Thats why I'm going DIY; it takes the financial heat out of the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I done my own NC6 and sent it in at least 9 months before I eventually got the inverter installed. Got payed deemed export for a while without having any solar even.

The NC6 form has changed since then but I assume you can still send it in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

Hi All,

I have had a few quotes, the best of which is 11,800 incl. VAT :

16 x 410W P Type Panel 

Solis 5KW Dual String Inverter

Eddi Hot Water Diverter

Installation

Does this look ok?

Thanks.

before/after grant? if after its a bit expensive

If you can get it down to 9k it would be ok. I would try get a 6kW inverter to be able to use all your generation. The NC6 rules change on 31st May so if you can get a 6kW inverter for that price get your NC6 submitted before the deadline and confirm it was received.

• Advertisement

It's about 4kwp panels? Actually no it's over 6 so yeah go for bigger invertor unless you are split over orientation

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

It requires an electrician to sign it now. But yeah you can send it in anytime. You do need to specify the make and model of the inverter you’re installing. But in reality this is never checked; so if you changed to a different inverter it would be ok.

im interested to know is there any formal process to follow for replacing a failed inverter.

Thanks for the fast response. I did wonder why the Kw of inverter was smaller than the panels. Does this mean that I could never generate and use more than 5Kw of electricity? Sorry if that's is a stupid question, but it seems like a strange limit/restriction to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

No it's not a stupid question.

So ESB networks have deemed (currently) that 6Kw is the maximum amount that a domestic (single phase) household can generate back out to the grid. You can have more panels for example you could have 7.5Kwp of panels hooked up to a 6kw inverter. The reason you might want to do that is that the sun isn't always shining at 100% on the panels. So your 7.5Kwp of panels might only be producing 50% of their max, in that case 3.75Kw.

If you want to go higher than 6Kw you have to have three phase electricity.

In May, ESB are changing the rules that the new limit will be 5.4Kw I believe, so if you get in now your in the clear. After May you will only get 5.4Kw

Thanks for the explanation. I will ask the installation company. The challenge might be their lead time for installation, but definitely worth trying to get the larger inverter installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I have 4 quotes in now. Expect to have another 2 tomorrow. So far, best quote is:

8 x 420W Jinko Black Panels, 5.3kWh WECO battery and 6kWh Solis Hybrid Inverter. BER included. Price after grant is €10,300.

All quotes have so far included the same battery with prices varying between 4200 and 5500 inc VAT.

Firstly, does that quote seem reasonable? Survey still needed and I will need to upgrade my CU and tails as part of, or before the work.

Secondly, would it be wise to have the system installed without a battery, but be ready for a battery to be wired into it? The premium is at least 1500 for the convenience of letting the installer take care of it. I suppose I could add more of the same batteries later if I wanted.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

that's fairly high price for a 3.4kwp system tbh, and with one supplier CEG price of 24c per kwh, crunch your numbers to see if a battery is worth it (though one benefit is avoiding some of the criminal peak unit prices!!) and maybe install a hybrid inverter in case you decide on a battery later (and with battery technology improving...)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Maybe if I go for the install without a battery, but with a hybrid inverter, I could just get a battery myself and hook it up. It looks very simple to do. I should be looking at 5 grand for the system installed then.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iotbud

Hi,

First time poster here.

We recently got the following grid tied system installed:

22 x 415 Watt Panels (Jinko) (18 south, 4 west)

1 x SUN2000 (Huawei)

1 x LUNA2000-10kW (Huawei)

1 x Eddi 

What do you think of this setup?

One thing that blew my mind is that it WILL NOT operate in blackouts. Only found out later. How do I get the solar and battery to work in blackouts?

Thanks in advance!

IotBud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

it's grid tied so the system normally needs the grid to operate but with a battery you may (refer to the manual) be able to hook up to a backup socket on the inverter and wire this to fused socket(s) to run low-load appliances. it's been covered before on here so have a look through the threads (maybe search for 'backup', though it'll search thru the whole damn site!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement