Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

The only way I can check charging status is a combination of the charger and the myT app.

Charger (fast or slow/ ac/DC) gives kw speed.

And myT app give live %.

Software update will display %on dash permanently, and I presume while charging, but same issue stands. Once you lock car during charge, it will stop charge when you press unlock. It's all wrong. Charging should be controlled from control panel either in car or on charger, needing a decision to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

He can't alas as he has bought one and is trying to keep the hype alive.

Vimal, that story is about as credible as the one about the wheels falling off.

What next, maybe its all part of a brilliant marketing campaign.....

Or, more likely, Toyota missed the boat, are scrambling now and may catch up to their rivals in 7 years time, assuming their rivals, let's pick Kia here rather than Tesla, do nothing in the meantime to maintain their advantage.

This thread is funny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yep, it's an utterly bizarre set up...

Think of any situation where you are on a journey that requires a DC charge on a motorway to get you to your destination... you plug in, start the charge, then go into the shop to use the toilet and grab a coffee/snack, you then return to the car only for it to stop the charge when you unlock it to get back in, so must go and re-start the charge... (allowing it to ramp up to max speed again). Looking at Bjorns video, apparently Tesla's did this in the very early days, but they quickly saw sense and got rid of it.

Imagine the above scenario at a charger where there is an initialisation fee in addition to the per kWh charge..

You either have to not lock the car, stay with the car for the full charging session, or stay inside the shop until the charging session is complete.

None of those options seem very 2023.... but hay ho, Toyota (world leaders in vehicle electrification) are a bit late to the party, so hopefully they are fast learners...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

It's mad. Thought I had a similar issue with auto unlock. It only unlocks when you grab handle. And it won't lock until you touch the two lines on the outside of drivers handle.

Post edited by yermanthere on

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭petronelduca

Build quality in general for a car/brand has nothing to do with the "time in service" since a company produces an EV.

It is clear you are biased towards Tesla and that's absolutely fine. We all have our own choices.

To be completely honest, if Tesla would have offered me even close to what Toyota offered for my trade in, I would have probably went for the model Y against my actual BZ4x. But they did not.

The funny thing is that after speaking with a friend who got a model 3 just recently, he told me he would never drive any other brand. Speaking with 2 other friends that had their teslas for 3 or more years, they said they'll never buy a Tesla. Their reasons are not important for this post.

About the bz4x..... time will tell. But knowing about their reliability, if one is ok with the actual range performance, I'd say is not a bad choice.

Is not even close to a tesla from the software/infotainment perspective, this is clear as day light. However, is backed up by a huge battery warranty and a history in reliability.

Again, we all have a choice and this is absolutely fine.

To my case, i did a trip yesterday, as a part of my once a week commute to Dublin, from the west of Ireland. Diatance is 236km. Cruise control set up to 130km/h, air conditioning on for the whole time, no eco mode of any kind. Arrived at destination with another 80-90km left on the battery.

This car suits my needs greatly, so to me, is the best choice I could afford.

Vimal probably had a bit too much on his plate in the initial days of the bz4x, with public charging only, which is very expensive in my opinion, if you only use thay type of charging, but as the dust settled, it is clear he is happy with it, like I am.

Post edited by petronelduca on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Convenient everyone you know doesn't like their Tesla. There's nothing stopping people buying any other car, in fact most do. Tesla aren't a huge seller here, plenty of people driving Kia, Hyundai, VW etc. VW aren't even competitively priced and still sell very well, so I'd be surprised if many Tesla owners didn't like them. VW Group EVs outsold Tesla 4:1 so I'd say people buying Tesla in the last few years obviously really like them if they aren't getting an ID.4 or Ioniq 5.

In fairness to Toyota, most people aren't going near the bz4x so won't dislike them after buying like your Tesla friends.

I'm just trying to stick to what I actually can base my conclusions on.

Amongst my friends, I happened to be the 1st one buying an EV in 2015. That was the status quo.

When I did that, i knew alot less about that Leaf than I knew before buying my bz4x. It was an excellent purchase, which paid itself back in 5 years.

And also, I dont chose my friends based on their cars or affinity towards Tesla (this is a direct reply to your bad intented statement of "Convenient everyone you know doesn't like their Tesla. ").It just happened to be like this. Oh, and none of them have their Teslas from work, like others, they're actually paying for tjem, so they're very well entitled to have an opinion about the cars.

Bottom line, it looks like we agree to disagree, but i wish i had something constructive to learn from your post.

Enjoy an excellent long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sat in BZ4x today as both I and it were at Bloom.

Don't really like it at all.

Would almost have the Prius PHEV over it and I'm a hardcore BEV fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Well from the outside they look hideous I haven't seen the inside and don't really want to tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think the new Prius looks class. I think most of Toyota's lineup looks decent. The new Corolla is a good looking car, Camry and Rav-4 are decent too. The bz4x is just off though. Too much plastic cladding probably doesn't help. Not fond of the 'Cross' models they have though.

• Advertisement

Saw an epower branded one about half an hour ago, looks well in white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Sister car Lexus RZ has similar crap range also :

Its the same car with a new badge and some tweaks.

Will be a few years before Toyota make a from the ground up EV that is worth while. (Maybe more as its not as simple as taking the petrol engine out and putting in a battery and motors).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

FFS Andrew, do you honestly believe this rubbish? I've a feeling that if we get a cold winter you'll be back hating your Toyota once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭vimalandrew

I can see the same efficiency with Hyundai Ioniq 5. If we have home charging I think its fine. Car is very good and the public opinion on seeing my car. Everybody says:' wow, such a beautiful car'.

Jesus, chill man. Life is too short and you're way too bitter.

Your taste will be different than others, so understand you're not the only one allowed to have an opinion.

If you disagree with others, at list you could be a bit more polite, but again, you're too bitter to do that.

Post edited by petronelduca on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

This is the oddest thread in the EV forum at the moment.

Genuinely out there.

Hard to be polite to people who live in a fantasy world and spout complete nonsense. There's absolutely no way anybody came up to you and said the bz4x is a beautiful car, of that I am certain, it has to be one of the ugliest cars on the road although it isn't quite as ugly as the Ionic 6.

No point trying to reach your level and resonate with you.

<<snip>>

Post edited by liamog on

😊 There's a fella doing deliveries in one locally, it's a horrible grey which in its defence it's just trying to be trendy keeping up with the Tucson's etc. I will admit I never sat in it but I did have a gawk through the window and it didn't impress me, he seems to like it but being his first EV he is a bit sorry he didn't research other brands before buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How did the Ioniq 5 and the BZ do in Tesla Bjorn's 1000km challenge? Efficiency isn't everything as you need to also include time to get back on the road including charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭vimalandrew

If you consider charging, Toyota wants your car to run forever. We cannot anyway compare Toyota with bmw or Audi or benz. In US, toyota corolla may cost only 18000 dollars. But toyota sells 1 million cars in a month. A lot of stories from my friends also with me. One of my colleague's brother on getting a job baought a used bmw 5 series for 30000 and after 2 months problem with exhaust or something and repair may cost more than the price of the car. So he just dumbed it and bought a brand new 5 series. A lot of my irish colleagues said all these used bmw cars have issues. Also I can see internet videos on South korean cars such as hyundai and kia. They say after 100000km their engines will start knocking. But any toyota owner you ask, they will say for the last 20 years, their car didnt have a single issue.

Here also Toyota wants bz4x to last long. So charging will be slow and they screwed the software such that it is a little below Tesla standards so that America will be happy and Elon Musk continues to be the richest man.

Ionic5 @18 degrees (avg) = 10:00

Ionic5 @ 14 degrees (avg) = 10:25

BZ4X @ -1 degree (avg) = 14:25 (old software)

BZ4X @ 10 degrees (avg) = 11:50 (new software)

The software update makes a massive difference cutting over 2.5 hours off the time, but at 11hrs 50 minutes it’s still pretty poor (64kWh Kona beats it by 20 minutes at 5.5 degrees (avg).

So overall it’s a full 1.5 hours slower to 1000km than the Ionic5….. 1hr 15 minutes slower than the ID.4 1st, 2hrs 5 minutes slower than the Model Y LR & 1hr 55 minutes slower than EV6 & Model Y RWD..

in other words, it’s not exactly setting the BEV world alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Working well if indeed the strategy is to keep Musk on this throne though.

But any toyota owner you ask, they will say for the last 20 years, their car didnt have a single issue.

Hmmmmm.. I effectively had to scrap my mothers 2012 Yaris a few months back as it failed the NCT and 3 separate independent garages all told us the same thing: it needs a new engine (and apparently thats a common fault of that vintage Yaris with the 3-pot engine).. So that's a single issue..... (Replaced it with a Toyota Aqua, and one of the rear light clusters is full of water (2 issues))

But either way all of that positive experience (and I've had a lot too with a 2001, 2007 & 2009 Avensis) means nothing anymore when you are talking about BEV, of which Toyota have little to no experience (despite their marketing schtick of being 'World Leaders in Vehicle Electrification'). So yeah, excellent quality means the windows will keep working, or the climate control system will not fault, but it means feck all when it comes to their battery/EV tech..

So charging will be slow and they screwed the software such that it is a little below Tesla standards so that America will be happy and Elon Musk continues to be the richest man.

Seriously? We are back to the tin foil hat stuff?

And you are also aware that outside of Tesla owners/shareholders, Tesla is a hated brand in America right???

I just received my latest electricity bill that fully includes the charges done home for my Bz4x.

The difference between this bill and the previous one is €120.00 and that reflects some 800 kwh used during the night time tarrif.

So, this car, so far cost me €120.00 for over 6000 km. This is about 2 euro for 100km. It is worth noted 50%of the mileage is motorway, at 125 km/h, no spare of air conditioning/heating.

In your face ICE cars.

Have I? What threads and forums have I been banned from? I'm not looking for any reaction, the reviews speak for themselves. The delivery guy was kind of regretting his purchase, but sure we've all done that at some stage in our lives.

thats an average of 13.3kWh/100km... Fantastic if true, but are you sure of those figures considering half of the 6,000km is motorway and you're pushing on at 125km/h... and your night rate is about €0.15/kWh? (also fairly good).

13.3kWh/100km over 6,000km would put the BZ4x as one of the most efficient EV's out there... (and it's a full 1kWh/100km better than WLTP)

That is the mileage.

The day time consumption of electricity is nearly the same between the 2 bills, just a few Kwh off.

The night time usage, as i have said, increased by 800kwh and the bill price is 120 euro more than the previous one.

No changes in my electricity prices and i pay 19c per kw at night time, including VAT.

However, I forgot to take in account i did 3 charges at work, in Dublin, from 20% to full. That should be another 150kwh or so to add up to the consumption, which would sightly worsen the stats, but not by much.

What i have noticed during the motorway travel, was that the range was decreasing more in the morning, at 5 am, when the temp was no more than 11 degrees Celsius, at a slightly lesser speed than for the return trip, where the temp was low 20s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement