Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭society4

I’m emailing my dealer to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

I called service department of my dealer last week. Earliest date available was 4 weeks away. They want car booked in for full day, even tho it's a 2 hour job. " We couldn't give you a 2 hour window. If we have it for full day it gives us flexibility".

So wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭vimalandrew

I think those who got car delivered in last few weeks have already range of 450 km. Mine got in Feb and has max range 420 km. So the latest deliveries have that extra 20-30 km

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭petronelduca

I'm not sure that is the case Vimal.

When I git my one, the range was 451 I believe, however, after 2 trips Galway - Dublin and return, on the motorway, where I did not go below 110 kmh, sometimes setting the autopilot to 135km/h, it went down to 412km range, I believe was the lowest I got.

For the last 2 weeks I haven't been to Dublin, so the max range went a bit up, to about 430.

This is only my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

toyota long mile road just installed the update for me yesterday, all good. it won't be delivered OTA.

has anyone been able to charge their BZ4X at a tesla station? airfield in dundrum/dublin have an open tesla charger with a type 2 as well, and we see loads of other non-tesla cars being able to use it. but ours refuses to connect. the dealer said you have to lock the car after you open the charging port and before you plug in the cable. but i couldn't find this anywhere in the manual or documented anywhere else. has anyone else experienced this?

according to the toyota web site, the tesla charging network is not available to bz4x's, but why should this apply just to the bz4x when every other type-2 car can connect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Tesla's fast DC Charging are only available for Tesla cars.

Tesla's slow AC type two chargers are usually in pairs at hotels etc. If marked red then they are only for Tesla. If white they are available to all.

Edit, the type 2 chargers are domestic chargers, usually one will be red and one white. But they may not be switched on, needing to check at reception.

this one is available to teslas + all type 2 cars, but i'm wondering if anyone has successfully charged a BZ4x on a tesla 'open' type 2 charger. i see no reason why our car should be blocked but it just won't charge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That site is not to be trusted as it’s clearly for the U.S. market where J1772 & CCS1 are the standards.

those standards don’t exist in Europe (well J1772 did/does as it’s Type 1 AC for the original Nissan Leaf) But CCS1 is not in Europe, or on your Toyota.

you have Type 2 AC & CCS2 charging standards in your bz4x, so when that webpage references Tesla, they would be describing Tesla Superchargers.

as long as you are plugging into the White signed one it should work (Red sign is Tesla only). Is the little green light on the screen on? There is a reset button on the side of them, try pressing for 10 seconds..

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

The way I charge mine, is that I plug in home charger and then press lock. Light goes green and car charges. The problem is if I want to open car to get something and I press unlock. Charge then stops, and has to be unplugged and start again. Not too bad at home, but at charging station it means swiping card, and starting process from scratch. It's all very clunky.

Or, is there an easier way? Anyone with public charger experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Most cars charge as soon as you plug in, unless there is a timer set for night rate. Its not clunky its a feature.

• Advertisement

That sounds like a ball ache…. The car should remain charging regardless of whether car unlocked/locked….

Id be on to your dealer to clarify as if Toyota designed the car to behave like that it’s pretty poor…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why would anyone buy the Toyota BZ4X when the Subura Solterra is the more efficent car and has a better name too as well as 4wheel drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would imagine the Toyota dealer network has a lot to do with it. To be fair, any Toyota dealership we were involved with were very good, had a Prius for 9 years

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

BZ4X is 4 wheel drive also. The reason for buying a Toyota over a Subaru - dealer network

Bz4x charging test after sw update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fVBdNIEsU

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Battery overheating on DC fast chargers in 6c Norway, that's Nissan Leaf bad

Toyota really don't wanna sell that yoke

Those 1000km challenges are really good at pointing out the limitations of certain EV's in Irish weather of 6c

Car has a 64kWh useable battery which is a good size, had an efficiency of 262Wh/km which is about the same as rivals like the MG ZS, Nissan Ayria and Skoda Enyaq from Bjorn spreadsheet, so not that bad either, that efficiency with a 64kWh battery = 244km max range though and the battery like it's rivals throttles badly past 60%, so you've got a 10% - 60% goldilocks zone to charger car quickly, otherwise at 62% it showed 37 mins left for a full charge.

So for the first leg on the journey with a 100% battery you can go 220km with 10% left, then charge from 10-60% to stay in goldilocks fast charging zone you are only adding 122km range at each charge

220km + 122 + 122 + 122 + 122 + 122 + 122 = 952km

6 stops realistically, if you wait a bit longer at charger or slow down.

So you got to stop 6 times on a 1000km journey to get to destination or stop 4 to 5 times and wait an hour each for a charge.

A Model 3 long range in 6c, the useable 72kWh battery had efficiency of 230Wh/km, so 313km range max, first leg on the journey with a 100% battery you can go 282km with 10% left and goldilocks fast charging zone for it is 10-80%, so 220km each charge session

282 + 220 + 220+ 220 = 924km

3 stops realistically, if you wait a bit longer at charger or slow down

Tesla M3 LR is actually very very good, you probably would stop 3 times anyway over 1000km

Moral of the story don't buy a Toyota BZ4X, buy a Tesla Model Y

Well it all depends on perspective, short game or long game re: ownership.

Youtuber from UK had a model s battery fail after years of being careful and charging to 80%. And Tesla do continue to have a small amount of battery failures.

Hyundai and Kia have really fast charging, but now seeing control unit failures costing thousands, and months to fix.

Skoda enyaq software update is now throttling back when multiple fast chargers occur ( source: enyaq gorm on YouTube).

Older nissan leafs with " poor tech and charging" are still driving on and on.

It's true to say if you regularly drive 600 km in one day, and therefore need fast charge, then Tesla is for you. But if you don't you need to; weigh up your options because ev driving still has a lot of long term ownership risks. Can u wait an extra 20 minutes for charging, if it means your car still works in a year or two?

But yes it is accurate to say that Toyota may have been a bit too conservative.

I am a BZ owner. I am happy ( not ecstatic tho) with my choice. The car is very comfortable, easy to drive, I think it's a good design shape ( Tesla design is complete mass produced muck and it's software is the best in the market, but no buttons!). And I feel bz will still work in a few years.

Yes right. I am perfectly comfortable with my bz4x. I ma doing deliveries and on weekends travel between 200 and 250km. I go to a 50kw charger and I dont feel any issue in that. Normally car will have 100km range and it takes only 45 minutes to charge up to 85 or 86 percent. Also, everybody seeing my car says, ' oh such a beautiful car. How much is the price and range'. Every car driver passenger passes through looks at my car. I can say bz4x is very beautiful than such luxury models like Porsche or bmw or benz. My collegue said he doesnt like Tesla and it looks like a cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭sh81722

BZ4X has active battery cooling so overheating it is not, just a very conservative battery management from Toyota. In comparison, did you see the Tesla LR battery hitting 58 degrees during a SuC session exactly as planned?

The charging speed is totally fine compared to that Model Y. Toyota will just need to work on the efficiency on the future models for a better range.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did I read right that there's a 15°C between the coldest and hottest cell when charging now 9n the BZ? Surely that can't be good for battery health?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

Yes I saw the temp going towards 50s. I think 58 is a bit too high. The bottom line is I saw 240kW on the 3LR and 170+kW on YSR, for a short while but that was sufficient to get me going. I had instances when I stopped charging at 150kW. Recently I drove 600 km with two charging stops of 15 mins each and got home with 24% SoC. Without preheating that would have been much longer.

From what I gather it seems the May updated improved the car somewhat but still not technically at 2023 level and not at the price point it is. But if people are willing to put up with it I have nothing to say. Some will never need two DC charging in a day, some don't like air conditioning running. I've seem only part 1 of the 1000 km run but the precautions Bjorn took to get some result in the end are a bit too much for the regular user. And the "punishment points" remind me of some religious order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭sh81722

I saw 245 kW on our TM3 LR for very briefly. However, it doesn't (didn't) last past the 20% SOC so it's a curiosity really. The charging time of BZ4X to 95% is not much longer than TM3/Y now as the speed nerf above 80% SOC was removed combined with the less available capacity. Of course each of the charges result in much less range on the Toyota as it's less efficient combined with that capacity.

There is still that maximum volume of battery charging in any 24h period so if you are planning a really long trip on the Toyota your charging speed will drop compared to Tesla. But comparing this (not by you @innrain ) to a 40 kWh LEAF where the 2nd charging session of day resulted in 3X kW, and we were charging at 14 kW a couple of times on a very long trip in summer temparatures is not fruitful...

@TitianGerm I wasn't aware of a temp gradient in the battery pack. Tesla definitely doesn't suffer from this. It could be the real reason why the number of daily charges is limited on the BZ4X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

I've watched the second part. Didn't expect to hit the limit but then if one cycle is 70%... As expected the Koreans with their 2018 models are ahead. The temperature imbalance puts the battery in danger of coldgating as well as rapidgating in the same time. Does Munro have a tear down video? I'd like to see the battery cooling design

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Philips2233

Am I the only BZ4X driver who is annoyed by the ride quality over undulating roads that have unbroken tarmac? Get shaken around the seat a bit. Car takes bad surfaces, eg multiple manhole covers, really well. Tyres at 2.6, according to the manual. Coming from a 2004 Corolla. Other than that, great car.

I have the same experience and Toyota should really address this. Say you stop at a motorway for a 45 min DC top up. You start the session and lock the car to go in to the shop. Come back to wait in the car and you kill the session and have to restart the whole thing. You also don't even know it has stopped unless you listen out for the cable unlocking itself.

Also it seems to be ridiculously hard to get a proper charging progress & status update from the car while charging. Nowhere does it tell me the KW power rate. There is a brief charging indicator on the driver display but it disappears after 2 minutes and I can't find a way to get if back. The OBD2 gadget from Amazon works great with the car scanner app but seriously you should be able to access all this info with full details of the charging session on the touch screen. Am I missing something?

The solterra AWD has reduced DC charging speed of 100KWh instead of the 150KWh that the BZ gets with the FWD version. That's a 50% boost in charging time for long trips in favour of the BZ, and a deal breaker for many who might look at the solterra. Also reduced range and eficiency with the solterra. The BZ in AWD gets the same Xmode feature for offroad as the solterra.

I could see the enrgy consumption of bz4x and hyundai ioniq 5 from ev-database.org

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Toyota Bz4x

It looks similar figures. Then I dont know why all are blaming bz4x

Now tesla shows some more improved figures. But I doubt on the reliability and build quality of Tesla.

But I doubt on the reliability and build quality of Tesla.

The same Tesla who have been manufacturing BEV's since 2008, and have over 3m cars on the road?

vs Toyota, who had to stop selling their flagship BEV in it's 1st year of sales because the wheels might fall off...

Okey Dokey...

Remember that you were praising Toyota continuously in this thread, singing their and the bz4x's praises at every opportunity, then you got the car and a month later you were slating it's terrible range and terrible consumption, sayng you were going to go back to a Yaris Hybrid.... but it seems you are back in love with the car/brand... did you get the May update that gave the cars an extra what? 30km of range displayed?

But one Toyota executive told me that it happened due to pressure from american supermaster on Japan and Toyota. They want Tesla and their oligarch Elon Musk to be world number 1. They knew that if toyota comes with a car that will be massively adopted. So they pressured them to screw up bz4x. Their argument was Toyota is already selling 1 million cars in a month and American car companies such as Ford is in downfall, German comapnies such as Mercedes is under closure, VW is down. But toyota is gaining popularity. So Toyota was forced to withdraw the car in the name of wheels falling off and had to reduce useable battery capacity to 64kw. Also screw up in efficiency and many things.

• Advertisement

Sorry vimal, I don't do or engage in conspiracy theory.....

Read your post back to yourself, then read it again and realise how utterly absurd it is.

Advertisement