Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cars have insurance, the police tell people to stay clear, the property can all be replaced. Enough people start turning up armed and things could get very out of hand. Maybe they have, it's the weekend after Black Friday, hard to tell the looting from the shopping.

Absolute bullsh1t assessments of this in coverage/on social media. The kid could be a complete scumbag but the narrative is that a far right zealot travelled far to another state (he lives right on the Illinois/Wisconsin border, Kenosha is right on the Wisconsin/Illinois border) to attack black folk just for being black, and now he's acquitted because America is racist. People who shouldn't be biased or political in the first place (like Ben & Jerry's) making this claim.

And the riots did involve damaging businesses (including those owned by African Americans and immigrants, including my friend's brother's bar in Chicago). It was disgusting.

Cars have insurance? So? Property can be replaced? By who?

If someone in a balaclava was breaking into your neighbours car with a crowbar and you could see it, would you do anything about it or would you ring the police and wait for them to arrive half an hour later when the car was gone

Yeah on Twitter. I mean Rittenhouse could be a white supremacist but what he "could be" doesn't come into a criminal case.

• Advertisement

Clowns.

If a few hundred people were damaging your neighbour's car would you go Rambo into the situation and hope for the best? Don't answer that, rhetorical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Some may say that his presence at the scene while armed with a rifle and to be frustrating the protestors actions was a provocation in of itself. That the control of the protestors should be left in the hands of the police and concerned property owners and other concerned parties should retreat.

That is their view. It makes sense to them. But in a strictly legal sense it does not hold

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

So many people think such string opinions on how guilty he is yet don't even know the basic facts of the case. It's very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The world is a dangerous place , not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing -Albert Einstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,389 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From a common sense point of view, if you go into the middle a civil disturbance / riot situation armed with an automatic weapon, the chances of someone being shot dead have just gone up hugely (and especially if you view those people rioting as your foe).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

He'd no business getting into the mix.

I'd add, why would anyone stand against BLM?

If they buy into the right wing narrative, maybe.

Maybe cops will bust into Kyle's house tonight and shoot him as he lays sleeping.

BLM was a cry. Because there were riots associated with it doesn't change the need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I'd blame the guy shot three people myself. The cops barred him from the lot he was allegedly protecting yet he didn't go home. How many used cars are two lives worth?

Rosenbaum's life was worth less than nothing. I'm so glad he is dead. The other guy not so much.

Why do you think Kyle should have gone home but the people involved with the riot should get to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Earth unfortunately.

We were all very naïve to think these people wouldn't replace religion with another belief system, where it's ok to do bad for the supposed greater good, where facts don't matter, and having faith and community is enough.

It has been a part of every society for millennia because it seems most people have an innate need to be part of some collective. And in that collective, the more blind faith you have, the higher up you go.

At the bottom are the faithless. The people who look at the actual facts of a trial. We don't think someone should go to prison for the supposed greater good, because we don't subscribe to their system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

With respect to the second-from-last-line, from today, black man who shot at cops who broke into his house while sleeping is acquitted of attempted murder charges because of the argument of self-defense. However, as a felon in possession of a firearm, he is still found guilty of a possession charge.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/andrew-coffee-not-guilty-on-all-counts/38304640

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Fair play for admitting your error.

I made that post before seeing your redaction.

I'm amazed at the amount of disinformation still around this case.

If one big thing comes out of this, it's that perhaps the veil is being slowly removed and people will start to see that they are being deliberately lied to in some of the sources you get your news from. I don't care what side of the fence you're on, nobody should be happy with being lied to or having certain key bits of information obfuscated or covered up. It benefits no-one in the long run.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Interesting point of view.

I never really thought about it like that. I would sometimes throw around cheap jibes about the religion of woke etc, but never really considered that it could actually be operating exactly like a religion. With preachers and blind tunnel vision for how they view the world.

It's scary in a way, because we know how deeply indoctrinated some religious people can be. And how do you break that hypnosis? Not with logic and facts it seems anyway!

Perhaps we shouldn't have allowed organized religion to die off in the west, knowing it would just be replaced by some even more toxic alternative? Or maybe we should have tried to push all these people towards one of the more harmless peaceful religions, like Buddhism etc !? 😂

If their mind is hardwired to NEED some kind of religion, I would rather it be Buddhism than woke-ism or "progressiveness".

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

What you describe as the 'veil being lifted', here a youtuber and former lawyer David Freihart calls it a 'red pill' moment. He sums up the way the media are doubling down on their lies.

Anyone still believing any of these lies needs to reconsider the types of sources that they follow. Those influencers are abusing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

I've heard modern leftism described as a "delinquent religion" which I wholeheartedly agree with (and I've been a left-ie all my life, I'd now be considered right-wing by the radical left). It's not the only ideology that fits this description obviously but it's the predominant one in the west we're all having to deal with.

Ultimately modern radical leftism is all about orthodoxy i.e. you have to completely submit to the dogma or suffer the consequences of being labelled a heretic (just see what would happen to your lefty blue tick marked Twitter account if you dared to question the Rittenshouse verdict!) There is a spiritual vacuum in the secular west and something has to fill that vacuum. It seems that an ideology based on emotions, feelings, irrationality, hypersensitivity, immaturity, race and gender identity has swooped in and take the spot of our once oppressive thought police in robes and fancy hats (now denim dungarees and brightly coloured hair)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Statement by President Biden

While the verdict in Kenosha will leave many Americans feeling angry and concerned, myself included, we must acknowledge that the jury has spoken. I ran on a promise to bring Americans together, because I believe that what unites us is far greater than what divides us. I know that we’re not going to heal our country’s wounds overnight, but I remain steadfast in my commitment to do everything in my power to ensure that every American is treated equally, with fairness and dignity, under the law.

I urge everyone to express their views peacefully, consistent with the rule of law. Violence and destruction of property have no place in our democracy. The White House and Federal authorities have been in contact with Governor Evers’s office to prepare for any outcome in this case, and I have spoken with the Governor this afternoon and offered support and any assistance needed to ensure public safety.

The key words are angry and concerned. Considering how politicised the American department of justice is, it will not be surprising to see the FBI move in to investigate if Mr. Rittenhouse violated the civil rights of the "mostly peaceful" protesters.

There is precedent for this in the case of Mr. George Zimmerman who shot and killed Mr. Trayvon Martin in self defence and the jury agreed too. This did not stop the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) from investigating Mr. Zimmerman for a year after being acquitted. Then president Obama exploited Mr. Martins death for his own political purposes. You will not be surprised to learn the mainstream media lied about that incident the most egregious example being NBC news who doctored audio to fuel a narrative. The mainstream media also made the assailant out to be a pre-teen kid (the photos) and did not show him as a 17 year old.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

What exactly is he angry and concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Eh the fact that Rittenouse got away with murder maybe. Self defence or not he still had no right to kill someone else and they might still be alive if Rittenhouse had never went to the riots in the first place. I for one do not think Rittenhouse is in the slightest bit sorry. He is another Trump. Its all just a big act to him. I think he would do it again too and the next time might be far worse. America is truly fu-cked. I suppose we can be glad Trump is not there. He probably would have said he was a hero and praised him just like every other clown statement Trump ever made as that's all Trump was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's ridiculous. If you to bring a nation together, you don't as president validate people's anger because a pet course case didn't go their way.

I dunno whether to laugh or cry at that post, AKMC.

Actually, I have no idea how to even reply due to the fact the words you’ve written are so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭briany

The problem with ordinary people showing up to a riot with the intention of stopping looting and damage is that you don't know who you're getting. You could be getting American Sniper or American Idiot. At worst, they could be completely untrained, have no idea what they're doing and actively making the situation worse by acting in a completely irresponsible fashion. Not hard, then, to see why law enforcement would take the official line of not wanting vigilantes on the streets. Even if individuals are doing good work, the risk of intensifying unrest rather than quelling it is just too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If people (with their histories) didn't attack him or go to riot none of this would have happened either.

You're looking at this through a blinkered biased filter of your own creation. None of them needed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

This is what that Facebook whistleblower was really about. The toxicity and disinformation that social reality promotes to make money. People are trapped in these bubbles.

• Advertisement

Oh my!

What an exceptionally bad take.

The worst part about it is that I get the impression that you genuinely believe you are making sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement