Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The stream I listened to had anything from 4-10 lawyers on at any given time, commenting in real time on the ongoing case.

The contempt with which they regard "Lawyer Twitter" and legal "experts" who are on the corporate media payroll was quite something.

Interesting how everyone who listened to them also manages to have a completely warped view of every aspect of the trial.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And how pray tell would describe the weapon exactly, I'm no Gun expert but would suggest assault rifle a reasonable description of the weapon he had. I'm guessing the fact you have to focus on absurd semantics suggests the absurdity of the argument that this Trial and verdicts were an absolute farce.

Of course intriguing the Far Right absolutely thrilled with the verdict (go figure that out)

I presume you can't wait for the Documentary already recorded with Tucker Carlson and this vile defendant 🤔 , no Doubt he'll be appearing at the next Trump rally also.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FFS. You must be the only person on the planet who thinks race isn't part of this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Why don't you open a thread and talk about your opinions on America's gun laws then?

There's no point saying the kid is guilty, based on the laws you WISH they had. That's a different discussion all together.

Plenty of people are throwing in these strawman type arguments.

Even the media trying to paint this, as a white supremacist going to kenosha to stalk and kill his prey. When it's completely the opposite, he was the one being chased by an angry mob. People on this thread are still trying to paint this narrative, even though it has been conclusively proven in a court of law to be untrue! (clearly facts don't matter to some people)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭archfi

Correct verdict.

If righteous diehards cannot see the absolute shameful reporting of this case in US and some international media, there is zero hope they will ever rejoin reality.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Me, the jury, the judge and anyone who isn't a BLM zealot.

You know, the white lad, that shot the white lads because if the white lad was a black lad, he'd be dead.

Or some other race baiting bullshit.

There is one. And I have.

It's hardly completely the opposite, when he was pictured with members of the Proud Boys making hand gestures commonly used by people advocating White Supremacy. I haven't called him a white supremacist, I think he's a kid who possibly didn't understand what the hell was going on and put himself in a situation he should have never even been near.

As for the media, Fox News had a camera following him apparently over the last couple months. Do you think they are not going to try to project a narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Anyway, that's it from me, some will be delighted . Don't bother quoting, I'm done with this nonsense. When a Thread is created the concept normally involves diverse opinion, obviously that's not welcome so I'll leave it at that.

This case is yet another example of the dysfunction of the American Justice System, thank heavens our own legal and Justice system as an element of common sense built in to it.

Night all 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The kid is a moron for going to a riot with a rifle. Anyone who thinks he's some kind of hero has some twisted morality. But he was there and he had a rfile, so that's what got used in what I gather was self-defence.

If a bunch of guys bigger than you broke into your house threatening to kill you and you were standing in the kitchen making a sandwich you can be sure that knife in your hands doesn't go back in the drawer out of some notion of there needing to be a "fair fight".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

An assault rifle is one used by military forces that has different firing modes i.e. select fire.

AR-15 style rifles lack select fire capability.

The Smith & Wesson M&P 15 used by Kyle Rittenhouse cannot be classed as an assault rifle.

In United States second amendment gun politics, the term "assault rifle" is used loosely by the anti-gun protesters when referring to any and every rifle.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

I'd call it an AR-15, because that's what it is.

Not only are you not a gun expert, but you aren't even versed enough in this case to be able to comment on it without having to be corrected multiple times.

It wasn't just a slip of the tongue. You emphasised the "fact" it was an assault rifle because you ignorantly thought it reinforced your point.

I couldn't be arsed looking at any documentary as I'm not interested. I'd actually prefer he didn't do the media junkets but you know what, I might just not look at them. Imagine that.

I'm just happy justice was done. A young man is rightfully free and as a bonus a paedo is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

@Tell me how

I tried to ask you this a few times yesterday maybe you didn't see it.

Given the facts of the case, do you believe the correct verdict was met?

If not, why not?

You surely cannot have been watching the conversation around BLM, American nationalists, White Supremacists and all of the particular individual cases, many have which have had threads on here that you very actively took part in, and still refuse to countenance that race is part of this conversation. I agree with virtually none of your arguments, but I don't think I could buy this position at all.

I gave you an example of another thread this morning of a 17 year old black person in the same county, and what their experience has been when claiming self defense for the person they killed, and yet you still think that race is not part of this discussion. Why is that?

Can you not even countenance that Black people would look at such cases and feel that the deck is stacked against them when it comes to policing and the justice system?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Sorry I didn't see because it was a different poster you quoted. You agree he was acquitted correctly on murder charges fair enough.

Why would anything like that influence a court of law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

It’s actually designated as a sporting rifle online

ps I don’t really care if anyone disagrees with me on that element… he clearly brought it for protection and not to shoot deer… and to be honest I can’t blame him considering he would probably have been left lifeless for disagreeing with the mob there

• Advertisement

Can you not even countenance that Black people would look at such cases and feel that the deck is stacked against them when it comes to policing and the justice system?

It would be an easier line to swallow if the people using it, who usually profess to be anti-carceral and against bad policing and malicious prosecution, didn't seem like they were chomping at the bit to see Kyle Rittenhouse jailed.

You'd think they would be able to celebrate a just outcome and point to it as an example of what should happen for everyone, regardless of their skin colour. Instead we have the likes of yourself here, wishing the bogus gun charge that should never have been included had sent him to prison so that some black people can feel better.

It's a retributive, poisonous position.

There's a lot more to this conversation than solely what is relevant within a court of law.

I think it is a mistake to apply "conversations" to trials and expect some greater idea to shine through. It feels uniquely American to have a trial like this be so public and have sides seeing verdicts as wins and losses for some bigger thing.

Instead we have the likes of yourself here, wishing the bogus gun charge that should never have been included had sent him to prison so that some black people can feel better.

If you are using me, here, as evidence of people chomping at the bit, then its a pretty weak thing to be getting worked up about.

I've already said that I think it was correct that he was acquitted on the murder charges. I said before he was acquitted that I expected that to be the case. MY logic for thinking he should have been prosecuted for having the gun, has nothing to do with keeping black people happy, but simply I have a big issue with it being ok for kids to be walking the streets with loaded, lethal weapons and for them not to be breaking any law in doing so.

I think there is more than enough evidence of how black people could expect to be treated were they to do the same (I posted a video on it yesterday).

A - Did he bring it, or not bring, it? People have been quick to point out that he didn't bring the gun but instead was given it there,

B - If he was worried for his own safety, he should probably have stayed at home instead of inserting himself in to a dangerous environment he had no business being in.

Because the two cases are wholly different and expecting me to just accept that your assertion that it boils down to race is ridiculous.

I will look into that case when I get a chance bit I am sure that there are many, many variables that aren't race related.

You are comparing two exceptionally different cases and boiling down different treatment due to skin colour which is as bizarre as it is pathetic.

I don't necessarily disagree with that.

But there is clearly a lot of things which blur the lines from what are purely judicial matters, and broader societal matters. Americas practice of electing law enforcement officials and judges, rather than appointing them, having cameras within court rooms, and having the media shadow the defendant throughout the trial is a reality that exists much as many of us think it shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't disagree there. Imo, there is no way it should be legal for him to have that gun. Hell, I think it works out the way the law is wrote it would have illegal for him to have a handgun, but it was legal for him to have the AR. So I'll agree there, those laws need to change and if it's a case where they need to protect rural communities/farming etc which is why the law is like that, limit it to be allowed to carry on farm land.

Outside of that as the law is like that, and a judge can only enforce that law, it was legal for him to have it so he could and it doesn't overrule the self defense stuff as he was clearly attacked first.

You are right, they are different, one person inserted themselves in to a situation they had no business being in, the other had no choice in the situation they ended up in.

But hey, you know they are entirely different while also acknowledging that you have to look in to the second case more. Sounds like you're going to be doing that with your mind already made up.

• Advertisement

One is the about killing the person responsible for sex trafficking, the other is self defense in a riot.

Very different cases. Not course I won't treat them the same. The colour of the people involved have nothing to do with the legality involved

What the **** point are you trying to make?

How the **** are you making the difference between these two cases about race?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement