Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean whether you think he should or should not have been there, that's not really relevant to the actual case. He wasn't on trial for being there.

Regardless of whether you believe that he was rightly or wrongly exonerated, I'm pretty sure one thing is clear: that the verdict will embolden the genuine racists who now, for their own perverted reasons, believe that killing black people can create a "hero". It'll inflame tensions on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EtonMess

Rittenhouse didn't shoot any black people. Only degenerate white lowlifes. He was also there protecting a minority owned business. The US needs to move away from race politics. It is causing this division and mob violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

"....believe that killing black people can create a "hero"...."

How will they draw that conclusion based on the fact that all the people he killed were white???

Actually, I retract that idea; I got that wrong.

I guess it shows how, when you don't look into a case sufficiently enough, you can end up drawing the wrong conclusions based on media headlines. Lesson learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

If that’s the case you are then implying that the other men were dangerous and violent … I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I see coked up idiot jnr. feels for the families of the two dead. What an arse.

What races were the people involved?

Edit: Nevermind. But if you thought certain things about this, then your media consumption is poisoning you.

The people he killed were reprobates, trying to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

Well fair play for admitting you got that wrong. Pretty much no one admits they're wrong these days, like it's some sort of cardinal sin.

The reality is the MSM coverage played the race card in this trial in an attempt to stoke tensions and division. It's a completely self-serving tactic. Anger/hate/division gets eyeballs and clicks which means more money from advertisers.

So it's not surprising you got that impression, particularly if you don't do your own research and deliberately seek out opposing views / news sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The ownership of the business and the race of the attackers are both irrelevant. It's a Han shot first scenario and KR was acquitted. Any political fallout from this is also irrelevant, people should expect a fair trial, regardless of the politics of the time. (not having a go, just pointing out that it's a simple case when it boils down to it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

How does a White Guy [who maybe mixed] shooting two White guys [one of which was a pedophile] embolden racism? Its easy to tell who actually followed this thing and saw the footage and who just followed left wing talking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Rittenhouse already has a drink named after him: a beer chaser, followed by three shots. 😐️

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

The issue is people could well start bringing guns to protests/riots with the expectation that they can open fire on anyone who threatens them. But it doesn't, nor should it, have any effect on this case. We'll see what the fallout is in time. The best thing that can happen is KR keeps his head down and doesn't become a figurehead, or the villain, some people are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What a load of absolute nonsense. When did you realise you had the power of reading thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Maybe if Leftists Mayors and Governors did their job and shut down riots people like Kyle wouldn't feel the need to carry rifles to defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Rittenhouse didn't kill any black people? Why are people trying so hard to make this about race or politics?

Everyone involved in this was white.

So you want to put an innocent kid in prison, "just in case". Sounds like a plan! 🤔

The reason tensions are inflamed, is because people are being given free reign to loot and burn down cities. All in the name of some loony pressure group, who think they are untouchable. Only message it sends, is that people are prepared to stand up against their scumbag behavior. Not allow themselves to be an easy victim!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If he was a black guy, you and your ilk would be buzzing and calling him a great American hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Eh, none of the victims were black but "white" is commonly understood to mean ethnically European, so that is a little misleading. Two of those shot were middle eastern. I dont think it is the case here, but it is not beyond the bounds of reason that a ethnic european shooter could have a racial motivation when two of those shot were ethnic middle eastern.

As for why this is about race or politics - christ man, race and politics is the reason Rittenhouse was persecuted for defending himself at all. He shot three people at a BLM protest. In the multicultural USA how could that not be about race and politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Just prior to being shot he was walking away from the cops who were following him with their guns pointed to his back. That's a fact.

The glee you exhibit at an American citizen being summarily shot by his own country's police sums up everything that is appalling about both the Blake shooting and the Rittenhouse killings, as well as many other incidents.

They stand as an indictment of American barbarism.

Almost uniquely among normal sovereign democracies, the USA regards the proliferation of firearms throughout its population as a necessary practice to ensure public safety. More guns, more peace is the idea. Good guys with guns are necessary to prevent the damage wrought by bad guys with guns. (We'll leave girls out of it for the time being for convenience sake, let's just concentrate on the Clydes for ease of argument while acknowledging that there are nonetheless plenty of Bonnies floating about too).

If there weren't so many good guys with guns running around without restriction just think how many people would be killed by bad guys, they say.

Well compare American gun deaths to those in countries like say Ireland, Germany, France, Australia Britain, Denmark, Finland, Switzerland et al ad nauseum. America has off the scale more killings, more gun deaths and infinitely more police killings per head of population than any of these. But the logic of the "good guy with a gun" is that anyone who dies at the hands of someone who is not otherwise involved in committing a crime MUST be a bad guy. After all, good guys with guns never make mistakes, never panic, never jump to the wrong conclusion and never act out of their own prejudices. Ever.

The utter lunacy of this policy is seen in the number of cases, including the Rittenhouse one, where the perceived threat to one's safety comes from one's OWN gun. The justification for killing at least one of these people stemmed from the fear that he was about to get hold of Rittenhouse's gun and thereby put his life at risk. A similar argument was put forward in the defence of George Zimmerman, some years ago. He was the "neighbourhood watch" numpty who jumped to the wrong conclusions about another 17 year old named Trayvon Martin, a kid who was walking home from the candy store minding his own business (literally, he was engrossed in a phone call with a friend). Zimmerman called the cops and then chased after the kid who was spooked by the strange man staring at him while calling in his whereabout. A confrontation ensued during which Zimmerman became afraid of his life because of his own gun. (Trayvon Martin didn't have one of his own. Seventeen year olds are not allowed to walk around with loaded guns----Oh, wait a minute!!!)

The benchmark definition of chutzpah used to be "A man convicted of killing his parents pleading for clemency on the grounds that he's an orphan" In America today it's "A man becoming so endangered by the gun that he is carrying for his own protection that he has to kill someone who would probably have had no reason to become involved with him if he didn't have a gun on his person in the first place"

Here's an idea: Why not just say you can't walk around with any loaded firearm in a build up area let alone a battlefield weapon such as the semiautomatic rifle that Boy scout was carrying?

Guns are designed to be instruments of death. They should be treated with respect and those handling them should be required to shoulder extraordinary responsibility. Just allowing any jumped up little jackass with a love of playing soldiers to amble about with such ordnance is asking for trouble.

Only in America is this considered a good idea.

It's not. It's barbaric.

Because Rittenhouse was there to protect property from rioters. We have no evidence that he had any other motivations for being there.

Yet the media and the left want to make it all about race and politics. Making assumptions about his motives.

Thank fcuk a court of law doesn't play the same stupid games with people's lives!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement

While riots need to be brought under control, even if there is a failure to do that it's not the job of teenagers to go out and play vigilante.

Look, in 2021, everything in the US - and increasingly Ireland and other countries taking their lead from the US - is viewed through the prism of race & politics. It is completely naïve to pretend otherwise. Rittenhouse as a white person should never, ever, ever, ever have gone to that BLM protest. All the power in the US stood behind BLM and was ready to attack anyone who stood against BLM. He could never win against that - he could only lose. That he did go with some dumb idea that his rifle and the US constitution would protect him is down to his refusal to recognise the reality of the situation. He escaped with his life, yet he was unjustly persecuted and dragged through the courts and he will be paying the costs for the rest of his life. There is no explanation for his persecution that does not recognise the racial/political tinderbox that decades of "multiculturalism" has created in the US. Pretending otherwise doesn't help Rittenhouse (hopefully he has learned something) and it doesn't help others who think the US state will protect their rights against the mob.

I've already conceded my view was wrong, and that it was a view coloured by headlines of the case I've seen over the past couple of days, and not by any direct research into the issue.

My view is 100% wrong.

I've been looking into the case more since then, and have concluded that - actually - things are very different indeed to the simplistic headlines I've been reading.

It shows the power of media headlines, if anything, and how it's easy to be directed to a conclusion that isn't true.

Vigilantism doesn't usually involve giving medical aid and putting out fires.

He shot three people in self defense. Proven in court.

I never said I didn't understand the dynamic going on.

I'm saying it's bullsh!t, and the people peddling this BS are pulling society apart and dividing everyone. It's a regressive way of behaving.

BLM and the "progressive" left and media are the ones that have truly been dragged through the courts with this case. Both have come out of this looking much weaker. And all because they thought they could use this kid as an easy scapegoat - but it backfired on them spectacularly.

He was acquitted of murder, that much is true. What I'm saying is kids shouldn't be going out on the streets to do the job of the emergency services. He had no business being out there. Too many people are tugging themselves dry fantasising about being in a situation where they can gun down people they think deserve it. The same people have elaborate home invasion fantasies.

Only 3 hours ago, I submitted a post arguing the precise opposite.

I realised, through research into the issue, that I was wrong.

You're right. There's no two ways about it. And you've succinctly nailed the point on the head, too.

Kids (and adults) shouldn't HAVE to do the jobs of emergency services. I agree with that. But I disagree that he had no business being there. He had more reason to be there than the rioters.

I'd blame the rioters before I'd blame the people who were at least attempting to do something good for the community.

• Advertisement

It is not regressive. It is the present and the future of the US. There is no return to the "I have a dream" MLK ideology. That is dead and buried and people like Rittenhouse are only going to get hurt if they continue to pretend to believe in it. US society is multicultural - it is by definition apart and divided. Could anyone even agree on what an American is these days?

As for "progressive" left and media being hurt by this - how are they hurt? Who amongst them is facing legal bills? Who amongst them has lost their job? Who amongst them has faced any censure or scorn? Who amongst them needs to worry for the rest of their life about being identified by violent thugs like Rosenbaum and company? Even that MSNBC exec who tried to intimidate the Rittenhouse jury will likely face little or no consequences. They are fine - don't worry about them.

There is no happy ever after here where Rittenhouse rides off into the sunset and the "good guys" clearout the "bad guys" and the US is somehow redeemed. Rittenhouse has somehow survived the worst possible outcome, but not without severe cost. The groups which targeted him regret that it didn't work out this time, but hey, there is always a next time. Rittenhouse will be persecuted by his enemies with the full force of the law for the rest of his life for every minor traffic, tax or administrative error he makes. Arguably this hasn't even backfired - from their perspective the "injustice" of not convicting Rittenhouse helps energise their base and get them riled up while it puts their opposition back to sleep, happy that "victory" has been achieved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement