Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Catholics are playing away at soccer downcow.

Nobody opened a thread to have a cheap rant when the IFA didn't condemn the UVF either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

5 Minutes' notice?

I thought they knew days in advance that the group was going to hijack their private property to hold a rally. Now all they had was a few minutes..

It is clear, the club and the GAA have done the bare minimum on this. Not a good look at all lads, not a good look to let a bunch of dissident terrorist Republicans use your property to hold a rally and you do **** all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Do try to keep up Mark.

The club REFUSED permission for the marchers to use their facilities days in advance.

There's a statement somewhere. Do you need me to post it up here again?

If they put gates up, you and downcow would be complaining they didn't get planning permission.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So a strongly worded letter....

Is that it?

How many club members took part in the rally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If it happened on their property it had everything to do with them...

Why would they initiate violence ? They should be insistent that the individuals leave...they simply could call the PSNI if they refuse , advise there are uninvited individuals in paramilitary style uniforms who are on private property, trespassing and refusing to leave even though requested / directed to do so numerous times.

They had liaised with the PSNI who didn't intervene when they trespassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I think the obvious question here is why were the PSNI willfully supporting terrorists? An example shoult be made of all inolved. Nobody remembers the real victims in all this... the Man Utd. fans!

None that we know of ... unless of course you have some information to disclose?

You are aware that GAA committee members don't actually live at the GAA pitch?

I don't understand your point. Who exactly would be insistent that they leave. Who would be there? Some random club member practicing free-taking?

GAA pitches are generally open to the community. There's no one there standing guard or checking membership. It's a facility run voluntarily by members. Generally if there's not a match or training session taking place anyone could walk in and kick a ball around or go for a walk.

When my kids were younger and we were on a long car journey I would often stop at a random GAA pitch and let them out to run around and kick a bit of ball for a while to break up the journey. This would not be unusual. The GAA is like an extended community in this regard. Never ever was I asked to leave. Often I was asked in a friendly way Where was I from? What was my local club? Anyone from the club make it as a county player etc.

In this context hopefully you can see the significance of the club's original statement. Apart from Covid shutdowns clubs generally do not like to tell anyone that they are not welcome. In this case the club in question did that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭downcow

twist it all you like. I have not asked the GAA to condemn the real IRA. I have asked them to act in a way to prevent the group using GAA facilities and one way to do that would be to condemn their use of those facilities.

Can you quote where they REFUSED permission to the terrorists? I haven’t seen that. I have seen a newly-mouthed statement saying they weren’t asked

Where did they tell them they were not welcome? That’s all I wanted ie that they would tell them they were not welcome and let the PC know. I take it you do have evidence for this statement?

I think you find it was not me brought the orange order in to this discussion. I think the first reference to it is by Donald trump on page two. Mind you I couldn’t find where you chastised him for the ‘compare and contrast’. Hardly a surprise.

It's getting boring now 😴

The Club has not granted permission

The event will not take place

The club is community based and adheres to the aims and objectives of the GAA (inclusion, non-political etc).

I get it. It's not strong enough for you but I doubt any statement would be. You've got the whiff of "Never Never Never" about your posts and constantly look to score "us vs them" points.

You'll just have to face facts. The GAA is no longer one of "them-uns" to reasonable people in the North. Find another organisation to hate.

As for the parades commission I have no evidence that the club either knew that the march was sanctioned or (in the event that they did) contacted the parades commission. There's no evidence that anyone did. Have you any?

What?

You were going on about them not condemning those who killed Lyra McKee.

Are you again walking backwards from that?

Ok, you want to switch angle now, let me ask the question differently...did the IFA in their statement condemn those (UVF) who were using the facility? If one wanted to, one could open a thread and argue that the fact they didn't condemn the UVF means they support them and that some of their members put that banner up, sure it's obvious is it not?

In fact I would bet good money their members did put that banner up. And...oh yeh...I saw a survey/stats somewhere that most members of the UVF were in the IFA and vice versa etc etc etc.

I will remain consistent much as you attempt to spin otherwise.

I say again, I would not expect any sporting body to condemn any group out there, GAA included

I have been very clear. I have condemned the ifa for continuing to use a facility with a Uvf mural nearby (if the did continue). I have affirmed whoever got the mural changed to be welcoming to players from republican backgrounds. That’s what you call anti-sectarianism.

the structure of the ifa is very different from the GAA, but if you are suggesting that it can be assumed that local Uvf members belong to local football teams, then I would say that is a fair assumption in the same way as ira belong to GAA.

so consistent throughout. No back paddling. If I change my mind I will admit it and regard it as me showing strength

Maybe you could give us the sentence that either condemns or says the terrorists are not welcome ??

To be 'consistent' would mean you would be opening threads on the IFA downcow...that was the point.

The UVF no more 'belong' to the IFA than the IRA 'belong' to the GAA. Which is what you are 'consistently' alleging. That kind of insinuation got many members of the GAA attacked and killed by Loyalists looking for easy sectarian targets and is dangerous and wrong.

Again and again you have been asked for proof of your insinuations and the best you came up with is some survey/stats you seen which when challenged you walked backwards from again

Consistent, yeh sure!

Stop trying to misrepresent and bully. I can’t be any clearer, but I will try again

the GAA is made up, almost entirely, of the nationalist and republican community. Gaelic was played 4 days a week by the republican terrorists in the Maze and results were smuggled in each week with cheers or otherwise as they were read out (this is documented but I guess you know). All the Ira I knew in my community were well connected to the GAA, Clubs are named after terrorists, and celebrations by wolf tones etc held in premises.

you would need to be wired to Mars to disagree with my assertion that out of a reported 3,000 people at the republican terrorists event in ballaghy, that some of those were members of the local GAA. This is why it is so difficult to discuss with you as you repeat stuff over and over that is just absurd knowing that republicans on here are unlikely to challenge you

if I asked you to GUESS were any of the participants in ballaghy members of the GAA, what would you guess?????

• Advertisement

Riddled with insinuation again.

'made up of the nationalist and republican community'?

What is the insinuation here downcow?

This is the kind of dangerous targeting crap I was talking about.

if I asked you to GUESS were any of the participants in ballaghy members of the GAA, what would you guess?????

Again, what is the purpose of this question? So what if they were members of the GAA? Are you saying they were sent by the GAA?

You have been asked again and again what you are alleging. I am sure many of those present are members of a range of organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

You are continually making sinister insinuations about the GAA and its members without proof. You've been asked repeatedly to provide backups to your claims, and then just spew out more bile based such as making up stats about victims of the Troubles being GAA members (how classy an argument is that). You've been given many reasonable arguments in response but all you can come back with is that 'Nationalists must support the GAA, therefore the GAA has a problem with republican terrorists.' Case in point, you're trying to create some tenuous link to a prison that closed twenty years ago. The icing on the cake is that you're now trying to play the victim and that you're being bullied for being called out on your bigotry. Have a word with yourself

You are at you dangerous spin again francie. I am alleging nothing. I am pointing out that they won’t condemn paramilitaries using their facilities. Stop trying to spin this into something sinister.

the point of me question is that you are having a go at a few posters here for suggesting that out of the 3,000 people at the republican parade, some are bound to be members of the GAA. That’s not dangerous, indeed if there wasn’t then I would say the GAA are not very representative of their community. If it helps you I would expect a few to be at the local mass on Sunday and the car boot sale. Nothing sinister in that

Give me just one example of me “continually making sinister insinuations about the GAA”? Just one? No waffle? But just make it one you believe not to be true? That’s a simple request.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Guys seriously just don't respond. Let him huff and puff away to himself until the thread dies off and/or he starts up a new outrage thread. It shouldn't take long.

So your made up stats weren't a sinister insinuation? Your determination to imply that the GAA are supporting this organisation isn't sinister?

You are making a mockery of debate here.

You have been asked. Put up or shut up.

quote the exact sinister accusation that I have made against the GAA that you don’t believe is true ???? Simple

The reality is francie. If I had made a sinister accusation against the GAA then you would have reported me and I’d be kicked off. We all know it didn’t happen 😇

1. That they support this group that trespassed on their property. That is the premise of your posting. That the lack of the words you would like means something sinister is going on.
    2. That there is a correlation between membership of the GAA and supporting violence against what the OP calls 'our wee community'. OP produced unbacked up 'stats' to support this correlation.
    3. That the lack of objections from the nationalist community of Bellaghy to the Parades Commission (also unbacked up) means that they support this group and violence against 'OWC'.

etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

😁 Why would you get 'kicked off' for making sinister allegations. Sinister allegations are made here routinely about everyone from FG to SF to the DUP to the SDLP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement