Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,232 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So name these members Mark.

If you can't then accept you are making things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The club has not commented on whether any of its members were involved, as they have not properly investigated the manner.

That is why I have called the statements a whitewash.

A great retort.

Most other developed countries would not allow a party political rally to happen on its own property, from a party with links to active terrorists, terrorists that murdered a journalist not 3 years ago.

Ye are on the extremist side lads, on the wrong side of history.

Good man.

Now when you can back it up, get back to me.

All I said that the club and the GAA are whitewashing this event.

The ol 'Nothing to see here' malarky....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So Mark, you want the GAA to start getting involved in politics and policing now? Would this be a general principle or just so long as they say exactly what you want to hear?

Some other poster mentioned that the actual police were present observing the gimps in their fancy dress. Would you not think that those fellas should be doing the policing and not some members of a voluntary amateur sporting organisation?

Anything else you'd like to blame the GAA for? Brexit? the NI protocol? Not doing enough to fight climate change?

No you clearly said they were members and they should be banned. But as usual, when asked for back up for your claims you do the backwards walk.

The club needs to sanction any of its members who were involved in the extremist rally by kicking them out.

It is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I would like the GAA to fully condemn an extremist political/terrorist rally that was organised on its property. Is that too much to ask for?

It should be made clear that any and all members who attended and organised this rally should be expelled from the club for life.

I asked for the club to investigate to ascertain if and who from the club was there. I am not a fool either to think that no one from the club or affiliated from the club was not party to this rally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Marko

hardly worth me repeating this but francie and his supporters know that you are making requests that would be regarded as reasonable by any other sporting organisation in the world, but not the GAA.

a wee look at the parades commission site gives the lie to most of the arguments here.

the PC have listed Ballaghy GAC grounds as the formation of the parade. The GAA only had to say to PC that they didn’t want to host it and PC would have removed it and barred access. Francie is a huge supporter of the PC so surely he would agree. Francie always tells us that the PC have stopped parades going where they are not wanted - join the dots francie 🤔

as for GAA membership. The PC list 3,000 people expected of which 1,000 are parading - in ballaghy lol and people are saying no members of the GAA 😂. Do they think we came up the Lagan in a bubble?

Just thinking. The loyalist bands that aren’t allowed to parade in ballaghy should apply to the Parades Commission for a parade in ballaghy gac grounds. Obviously there’ll be no opposition as you lads on here say the GAA should just issue a statement to say it’s not happening and then let it carry on 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The gaa is transparent , the bands can apply but they probably won’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Well this week was a monumental one for this great SPORTING organisation with the Congress vote on the Championship structure changes as well as the climax to many county championships up and down the country. Despite all of this, the Ulster branch of the GAA still issued a statement to the press about the march that the Bellaghy club had previously condemned and (for it) refused permission for the use of their premises.

I have previously posted the statement from Bellaghy Wolfe Tones in this discussion.

It is my prediction that if I post the statement from the Ulster Council here then a couple of posters will STILL find fault with it. That is a sad reflection on them and not the GAA.

Here's the statement from last Thursday (verbatim) ...

“Ulster GAA wish to reiterate the statement by Bellaghy Wolfe Tones GAC, dated 9th September, that the club did not grant permission for the use of their premises for any event titled ‘Saoradh National Hunger Strike Commemoration’ on Saturday 2nd October. The club car park is ungated and there was engagement with local authorities and the PSNI on the matter in advance of that date, as part of their planning for management of the above event on the day.

“Like all GAA clubs, Bellaghy Wolfe Tones GAC is a community-based organisation that exists to promote Gaelic games and culture in line with the aims and objectives of the GAA.”

That’s not even carefully worded. It is rediculous.

why not say “we condemn the use of our premises for the xxx parade on xxx.” A lot less words and no riddles. We all know why they didn’t say that.

Priceless! Hilarious!

It took you 10 minutes.

It's the 2nd statement I've provided that shows up your prejudice.

Here's a thought ... try welcoming the statements.

Go on try it. I know it seems to go against all of the inbuilt (environmental NOT genetic) "NEVER NEVER NEVER" that you appear to have but just try it.

Well this event had tacit approval of the PSNI now that you mention it. They watched and monitored it. So if mark wants back up for his claims then the PSNI should have it.

Wouldn't matter if the GAA donned sackcloth and flagellated themselves up Bellaghy main street. 😁

Did you ask the club? Really?

What shred of evidence do you have that a member of the club was "party to this rally" ?? ... What does that even mean?

At the time of the march in question I can assure you that the main thing in the minds of club members was the upcoming Senior Football Championship clash with Sean O'Leary GAC, Newbridge.

There are a lot of weasel words there Mark. Are you bitter against Catholics, general "Irishness" or specifically just the GAA?

• Advertisement

That statement from the Ulster GAA doesnt make sense.

On one hand it says that the GAA club had nothing to do with the parade, but then said it was in talks with the PSNI, local authorities in the days BEFORE the parade was due to take place?

If they knew the parade was going to be planned on their very own property, why did they leave them in?

"Oh it didn't have a gate" passes no muster. Seems like the club wants it both ways. Wants to appear neutral yet still pander to the extremists.

What does my religion and religious outlook have to do with the topic at hand?

No one is mentioning Catholics but you. This topic about the GAA pandering to political extremists should be sectarian-free.

The only reason the GAA is mentioned is that some random gimps decided to trespass, unannounced and without any permission, in their carpark. Under the watchful eye of the PSNI no less. You know - the people who are paid to enforce the law. The PSNI did not see fit to break up this obvious and imminent terrorist threat but you appear to be of the opinion that some 60 year old rotund Chairman should have ran out like Rambo and sorted it all out (even though it is more likely that they were unawre of what was going on until it was over).

Common sense would be that the club merely have to state the fact that it was not done with their permission or consent. To most reasonable people that would suffice. Usually when someone latches onto some tangential excuse to go after someone or something like a dog after a bone, there is an underlying reason, perhaps hatred, which causes them to do that. I am merely trying to determine what yours is.

Given that you reacted to the word "Catholic" one might construe, whether accurate or not, that that word hit a bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Markodaly is only on the wind up lads, the other day he was defending to the hilt, the FG/Labour party parachuting a dissident republican into Seanad Éireann.

Both sides of his mouth is an under statement.

Not carefully worded enough.

Full investigation required from the club.

Should've bought a gate.

Club needs to be condemned and sanctioned.

All statements referring to and criticising an amateur sporting club run by volunteers who released a statement prior to the event expressly NOT giving permission for their premises to be used.

I should disengage with this thread but I'm fascinated to see what Mark and Downcow will come up with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

In advance the GAA made it known that they don't want their premises used. They liased with the PSNI so presumably the PSNI knew the club didn't want their premises used. Surely its up to the PSNI to stop the parade trespassing since they were standing there watching. if the PSNI cannot keep them off private property, how do you expect a few local volunteers to be able to?

I'm delighted that the thread title is about the GAA in general.

I can therefore keep posting these reports that show the true nature of the organisation.

I fear that the posters who would learn most from reading them will simply stick their head in the sand and ignore them. So in an attempt to hook them, the previous one was about the success of East Belfast GAC.

For some unknown reason rugby was mentioned a couple of times earlier so here's ex-Ireland player Willie Anderson's very recent opinion of the GAA in Tyrone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/rugby/willie-anderson-book-gaa-486867

Say what? What day was this?

If you want to take me up on something then at least don't lie about it, it's unbecoming and not a good look.

Ah right, how naive are you then.

It appears that people knew in advance that the parade was going to be held on GAA property and the club themselves let it go ahead.....

I have some magic beans to sell you if you believe that the club had zero power to stop it.

• Advertisement

Do you know what would have been a good look? The club members who must number in the hundreds turn out in force to stop their club's property from being hijacked for propaganda purposes. It would have been a strong message, but my guess is that some members have a soft spot for the ol Republican Terrorists.

Was there a counter-protest even?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement