Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options
  • 13-10-2021 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭

I opened a thread recently asking is the GAA in the north sectarian, following an couple of county teams chanting support for the IRA. It was closed after a short time, but I will risk raising this issue again.

here is a photo taken this month inside the grounds of a GAA club. A parade by the republican group who killed Lyra NcKee. The GAA said in advance that it would not happen. So what is going on?

we have a few Protestant individuals in the north taking a big step and starting to play GAA sports. Is it not time the GAA had the balls to move on from this sectarian stuff

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Things like this shouldn't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

not condoning it but its not new , it happens in several gaa clubs around the country , but in reality its no worse then what you see from soccer clubs up north in terms of sectarian stuff , the 'national team ' up there is doing a great job to hide it too , its always going to happen when politics and sport are mixed together

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭downcow

That is ridiculous. The ‘national team’ up there is doing nothing like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The GAA is a nationalist organisation and taps into the gaelic culture to drum up support for its own games.

The positive side of that is bumper attendances at games and participation. The negative is above, every hardline republic para military group will naturally gravitate towards the GAA as a symbol.

To be honest i can see very easily how the above situation would happen. You're talking about what is fundamentally an amateur athletics organisation with ordinary local volunteers. I cant image there were too many of those people volunteering to tell a para military organisation what they can and cant do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I wasnt aware a republican group had taken reaponsibility for the murder of Ms.mcKee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Second from right looks about 14 , third and fourth from right look like they're fond of their grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

A couple of clowns, in reality they are an embarrassment to the GAA and everyone else in Ireland.

The GAA does need to take a stance against these clowns and kick them the f**k out. Great work has been done not only in the North but all over Ireland to try and integrate people and seeing this rubbish put them back years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Choochtown

A non-story and yet another pathetic attempt by the OP to demonise the GAA.

Let's deal in FACTS.

Here is the actual statement from Bellaghy Wolfe Tones GAC:

"The club would like to clarify that no request was received from or on behalf of any organisation and the club had not granted permission for the use of our premises for any event entitled 'Saoradh National Hunger Strike Commemoration.'

"We further wish to clarify that no event other than those relating to official GAA activity or training will be taking place at club premises at that date."

I don't think there's any ambiguity in that statement whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Still you see a picture of 4 clowns at the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I've very little time fir the GAA but they didn't arrange this. They should ensure this doesn't happen though.

Yes but the original post is using the picture to accuse the GAA of sectarianism.

The position of the club couldn't be clearer from the statement that they released.

It should be a picture of kicking those 4 people out the door.

The statement above reads of covering their ass after the fact. Should be saying they never want those people again and if they can find out who it is they get a lifetime ban

By the way it wouldn’t be hard to work out who the clowns are if you are from the area

No asses to cover Dudley.

The march was nothing to do with the GAA and the club in question released a statement saying exactly that.

If we're going to use unwelcome distasteful parades to berate places or organisations where they gather, this will be a long long thread of whataboutery.

The club in question has released an unambiguous statement stating that the gathering happened without their knowledge or permission.

Not good enough for you?? "Kicking those 4 people out the door" You are actually suggesting that a sports club's volunteers should initiate violence with these people??

The GAA is a sporting organisation which is pushing for more inclusion across ireland. This carry on should end up with a life time ban for the people. The same as the guy who racial abused Zebo at the Ulster game.

Unless that happens the statement is just arse covering and the same will happen again

Plenty of people get kicked out of GAA match’s, why can’t they kick these out? You realise they don’t have to physically kick them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You're not going to find must respite in addressing this with facts. Dudley and the OP are hoping to up the outrage anti. That's all the thread is about. The GAA now is a crack squad of hardened police activists who should put it up to disguised republicans in their car park ....

Are they members of the Bellaghy club?

How can a club ban someone who's not a member?

Did the club get a request to use their car park? No

How can a club throw someone out of their car park when they have no idea that they are there?

It's an amateur sports club.

I get the feeling that some people HATE the many GAA cross-community initiatives in the North and would like nothing better than to stir up division and return to the days when Gaelic games were for "them-uns" only.

Very easy, they ban them from all games, as far as I’m aware the Ulster fan was not a season ticket holder

Did the fan ask Ulster if he could racial abuse players first?

I don’t get your point, it’s a list of excuses which no one in the real world will buy. It doesn’t matter if it is amateur or not, it’s part of the GAA and the people would be clear to locals, ban them from the ground for life. Job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

So you think gaa are political? politics has no role in sport...

The famous "ban" was only gaa invention i think....

"They ban them"

Who bans who?

I don't know anything about an Ulster fan. What relevance is that?

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make.

You are vexed by a parade so you are blaming a GAA club who are nothing to do with the parade and have released a statement disowning themselves from it.

But that's not good enough for you. Now you want the club to somehow track down these individuals and ban them from GAA games!

The march was NOTHING to do with the GAA

I hear a couple of them bought a cheese roll and a packet of Taytos in the local Spar. Why not find out who they are and ban them from all Spar shops as well?

The parade happened at the club so it has to do with them. The club is responsible and should be a place that everyone can come to enjoy sport.

The club & the GAA ban these people from the ground and maybe all grounds in Ireland. That gives a sign to anyone that tries to do this again it isn't on. A statement like the above means nothing, the same thing will happen again because if I know anything about clowns like these they will continue to push till someone stops them.

The ulster fan is just an example of a club not allowing fans to carry on without respect for other in its grounds. Do you think shouting racist abuse was anything to do with Ulster? they took a stand and banned the supporter.

The GAA need to take a stand, simple as that.

this statement was in advance and was carefully worded. They knew the group was using their premises and they know that some of those involved are members. They could have been there on the morning and asked them not to use their premises.

tjis is just the most recent of repetitive sectarianism which gets a blind eye turned to it. Whether county teams chanting ira, clubs holding wolf tonne concerts with ira chants or paramilitary colour parties using their premises. I think they will eventually stop this but it shouldn’t take another decade. No other sporting body would torelate it, volunteer or not

There was a time when gaa players could not play cricket etc...

Why do you keep mentioning Ulster and racist abuse?

The parade was nothing to do with the club. Absolutely nothing.

A few people used the club car park without permission.

Those are the facts.

Unlike you I welcome the statement from the club.

So it happened on gaa property and nothing to do with gaa... get real...

• Advertisement

The club could have stated clearly that the paramilitaries were not welcome to use their facilities, but they clearly didn’t and have not condemned them retrospectively either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement