Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They knew and disassociated themselves and left it to the PSNI. Are the PSNI complicit (by allowing this) too or is the ire only reserved for the 'GA'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Full investigation

Buy new gates

Mobilise 100s of club members at 5 minutes notice to barricade the car park

Organise a counter-protest

Keep 'em coming lads.

This is getting farcical now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Can you list off other "terrorist" groups that the GAA have assumed responsibility for proactively stopping? Al-Shabaab maybe?

Perhaps the PSNI, upon arriving at the scene and determining that they weren't going to be able to stop it, should have sent out the bat signal for the local 60-something rotund and red faced committee member Jimmy to rock down and sort out the terrorists? Jimmy might have been all tooled up and ready to Rambo their arses but incorrectly assumed that the cops could do it without him

And you call others naive 😂

Given that you apparently have the inside track on when and where these things are organised for, put your money where your mouth is and go and counter-protest yourself.

(FYI, For there to be a "counter-protest" there must first be a protest)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭downcow

the PSNI had no view on it. It had the complete (not tacit) support of the parades commission, and why not. Clearly the folk of the village and the GAA did not oppose it or they would have raised their opposition with the parades commission. That’s how it works. The Psni then police that decision.

to suggest the Psni had tacit support for a parade by people who are trying to kill them is about as sensible as the rest of your posts on this thread

• Advertisement

‘Unannounced’ haha. It was circulated widely among the community well in advance.

they only needed to let the parades commission know they had concerns about their facilities being used and the PC would have done the rest

Yet the PSNI were present and did nothing ..... but the responsibility somehow falls on a sporting organisation to take on these groups and to make political determinations and take political stances .....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Considering this thread is being pushed by loons , can we lock it up ?

It’s a very simple process up here. You involve the parades commission if you are unhappy with a parade entering your property. The Psni then police that determination. Couldn’t be simpler lads and well yous know it.

the Psni have no power to enter a private facilities to prevent a parade that the owners are not complaining about.

if loyalist paramilitaries publicised that they were going to use our local church car park during a parade. If a single member quietly told the PC that they were unhappy about it the the PC would apply restrictions to the parade and the Psni would police those restrictions. But hey, sure you all know that.

Do you understand what 'tacit' means?

It means that regardless of how the PSNI felt it still went ahead. They were on property the GAA had stated they had no right to be on and the PSNI did nothing. Can be taken as classic 'tacit support'.

How do you know who or how many registered objections with the Parades Commission? Link please?

• Advertisement

There is no responsibility on a sporting organisation to get involved in making any political or other determinations. I don't understand why you can't seem to grasp that. It is not the responsibility of the GAA to police anything outside their own support.

I would suggest that either yourself or Mark contact the PC in advance of the next advertised event and make your complaint should you wish to do so. The right to contact them is not dependent on ownership of any particular piece of property.

If I looked, would I find all the posts about your outrage at public land being used to build massive polluting bonfires, covered in sectarian and hate-filled effigies? Will I find downcow's condemnation of the Orange Order for not expelling its members who were "presumably" partaking on those "festivities"?

"Circulated widely"

It was announced via a Facebook post and the club were only made aware of it via a journalist.

When the club were made aware of it this is the official statement that they put out:

Here's a link to some of the charities that are officially partnered with the GAA.

Of course that doesn't tell the full story.

Every club in Ireland as they fundraise locally to improve facilities will also donate a percentage to charities (typically 20% of funds raised in my experience).

On top of this each club provides an extensive community support network. For example throughout this pandemic GAA club members throughout Ireland have officially made themselves available to do shopping for people who have had to isolate etc.

Ditto orange order. The OO give hundred of thousands to charities that doesn’t mean we turn a blind eye to everything else

No condemnation. That’s the issue. Don’t even say we’d prefer you don’t use it. Just that they didn’t ask lol.

could they have said anything softer? You pen is something softer and less condemnatory. Give us a laugh. It’s been a long day.

If you think there is no responsibility on any organisation to endeavour to ensure its facilities are not used by gangs of sectarian killers, then you are in the dark ages.

I am pretty sure I didn’t call for the expulsion of members involved. I can understand young people getting involved in this type of thing.

I called for the GAA to condemn it. If that is too sensitive locally as too many GAA members are tied up in these organisations, then I would accept that. All I would ask is that head office would condemn it and warn them that if there is a repeat next year then there will be sanctions ie fine or points forfeited. That’s all. Just do their little bit to move the dinosaurs on.

This thread is about the GAA.

Why do you keep bringing up the Orange Order? There is no comparison or link between the two.

I'll remind you ...The Orange Order is a fraternal organisation open only to protestants who should "scrupulously avoid countenancing (by his presence or otherwise) any act or ceremony of Roman Catholic or other non-Reformed Worship; he should, by all lawful means, resist the ascendancy, encroachments, and the extension of their power" (a DIRECT QUOTE from them)

Whereas the GAA is a SPORTING organisation which is "anti-sectarian, anti-racist and committed to the principles of inclusion and diversity at all levels" again a DIRECT QUOTE from the organisation.

Please stay on topic.

Feel free to start a thread on the Orange Order and their wonderful cross-community initiatives 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

You only need to look at the Ulster Final a few years ago to see how committed the GAA are to inclusion in the north. Extending an invite and a warm welcome to the leader of perhaps the most bigoted political party in the western world, whose members repeatedly ridicule the organisation and any expression of Irish culture (eg 'curry my yoghurt'). That is proper leadership, and an example that Arlene's party could learn a lot from come marching season every year.

No point saying anymore on the Bellaghy situation as its been covered extensively, and posters can neither provide evidence of collusion by Bellaghy GAA or their members, or that this is commonplace within the GAA.

I was in the VIP area that day, she got a very warm welcome and a genuine one. After 10 minutes nobody batted an eye about her being there and you could see she was enjoying herself.

You should pass on the information that you have about Saoradh (formed in 2016 according to wikipedia) being a gang of sectarian killers to the relevant authorities so that they can make them a proscribed organisation. Then perhaps the PSNI could sort it out the next time rather than sitting around on their holes.

I have no time for any of those gimps. What you are asking the GAA to do though is to make a determination on an ostensibly political body. That is not their responsibility any more than it would be to bring in a list of Unionist or Loyalist organisations whose members would be denied access to, and removed from, GAA premises by the GAA members.

Ostensibly, this was some kind of commemoration of people who died as a result of hunger strike. You may be aware that every year in the North there are many marches which celebrate a certain battle which resulted in death of over 2000 people. Those marches are for the "victors" rather than the people who were killed. Whereas the former is remembering those who died. So on the face of it, that is surely less objectionable? Would you not agree? Given that, your objections must lie with the individuals who were taking part. In that case you are asking the GAA to make individual determinations on who was going to be there and who was not. When it appears that nobody knows who the lads in fancy dress were.

The GAA were perfectly correct in how they handled it. They should continue to not give any permission or support and be clear that they do not.

• Advertisement

Keep burying your head in the sand if you wish. It just diminishes your argument.

I’m no expert on ira thugs, but this from Wikipedia

“On 18 April 2019, investigative journalist Lyra McKee was murdered while observing rioting in the Creggandistrict of Derry. Mobile phone footage was released showing a masked gunman, a member of the New IRA,[20]opening fire with a handgun.[21]Saoradh subsequently released a statement that "a republican volunteer attempted to defend people from the PSNI/RUC", after an "incursion" by "heavily armed crown forces", and that McKee was "killed accidentally".[22]This was interpreted by TheJournal.ieas the group "defend[ing] the actions of those responsible".[23]

but of course they are squeaky clean and should not be interfered with if they want to use GAA facilities

This is quite illuminating, “After 10 minutes nobody batted an eye about her being there”. She was lucky it only took 10 minutes for them to turn their attention back to the game, away from exhibit one - a prodie politician attending a GAA event lol. Wise up! 😂

Well, no more than attending the funeral of her joint first minister, she had made such a song and dance about a simple invite extended for years, that there was attention on her and how she would react.

But it didn't last long. Nobody passed any remarks after a while.

It isn't the GAA's job to police the north downcow and it would be crazy for them to even try to. A bit like asking the IFA to go out and intervene when loyalists run about in balaclava's.

downcow, a group of gobshites issuing a statement which was seen as defending actions which resulted in the death of an innocent bystander does not equate with them having been involved in it.

Let me give you an example. You can make a statement on here in favour of some British Army actions, perhaps a paratrooper who is accused of killing someone, or even a statement in favour of historic prosecutions being dropped, but your statement would not make you guilty of a murder they did.

I would be totally disgusted and would not try to defend them, if loyalist paramilitaries used the facilities at Windsor park and the Ifa did not unambiguously outright condemn it, without equivocation.

Well let’s accept your sweetie mice fantasy world and assume they were not directly involved. They still defended the actions. Would that not be enough on its own?

And the GAA have said this had nothing to do with them. And neither you nor Mark has presented anything that shows they are not telling the truth.

Here's the IFA doing the same thing, saying it has nothing to do with them. NOTE: they don't condemn the UVF.

Belfast IFA league sees children play soccer beside UVF mural - The Irish News

I am disgusted the the ifa did not act immediately to say they would not use that facility again until the mural was covered up. I completely agree with the parents who say it is unacceptable. Shame on the ifa, they should know better. It’s not their facility but that’s not an excuse.

it is a chill factor for young catholics and should not be tolerated.

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Well done all involved. That chill factor to young catholics got a short shift and well it should have.

great example. OWC football, onwards and upwards

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/07/24/news/east-belfast-uvf-mural-replaced-with-images-of-football-stars-1091207/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement