Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA need to step up

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Wrong wrong and wrong.

I have certainly been to a game in Casement. I am pretty sure it was Antrin and it was hurling. No big memories other than it was a pretty small crowd and I though the jingoistic nonsense at the beginning was unnecessary and certainly something that will ensure unionists stay away - is that an unintended outcome or a plan? Who knows.

the other game I was at was Gaelic, Tyrone v somebody. There was a collection by the Ira at the gate on the GAA grounds. I seem to remember a big open area in tarmac or rough surface outside the entrance to the stands.

I know you like stories but that is the facts of my GAA experience. Oh plus a tour of bryansfords ground in Newcastle. They seemed nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

But you did claim that at all the GAA games that you'd been to there had been a collection for the IRA.

Here is your entire post from the Irish Protocol thread last year copied and pasted ...

All the Gaelic football matches I have been at they were collecting for the ira prisoners - but if I said “what do you expect from a group of bigots”, a number of you would report me and I would be dealt with. I am not even going to bother reporting you for calling tens of thousands attending fires ‘bigots’

I ask again.

What is your agenda?

Why are you persistently trying to smear a sporting organisation?

Paste the link and I’ll be happy to comment. Surely pasting the link would have allowed my post to be read in context. To use your own words ‘what is your agenda’

it was also a 100% accurate comment by my. Maybe could be accused of being a tad disingenuous, but it appears I was responding to a post which was accusing everyone attending 11th night fires of being bigots - so hardly a shocking response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

"a tad disingenuous" 😂

You've managed to shoehorn the GAA into discussions on ...

Brexit,

the Orange Order,

Michael D Higgins,

the protocol,

United Ireland and Unionists,

NI elections and

the DUP leadership as well as starting 2 GAA threads exclusively to slag off the organisation.

None of the above was ‘a tad disingenuous’. I said some may think my factual statement on my GAA experience was a tad disingenuous.

take a wee look at how often the OO is shoehorned into board discussions.

I am not slagging off the organisation, I am simply daring to offer a other than snowy-white cuddly perspective of it. You should be grateful for my perseverance in the face of a range of strategies to silence this topic - just have a look

• Advertisement

You need to take the blinkers off. Are these northern Irish young people who have made their way to Sligo for the night? The locals must have all stayed at home cause the knew the Nordies were coming. Wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Well sligo is very close to border. They could be from north. I would say it hqppens in border counties too as some of that sectarian culture spills over. But you wont hear that in a pub in dublin or cork unless there is people from the north in town.

Do you not except that it is more likely to be herd in a pub in the north than south? The reason why is because sectarian culture is part if the north in 2022 unfortunately.

You started this with how could unionists feel welcome in a UI and pionted out people singing "Lizzie in a box" from trawling twitter to find it sung anywhere in the south. But then surly unionists dont feel welcome in the north or Down as i can show you that being sung in a local in your county. Get the piont?

Most unionists see the IRA as terrorists do you agree. Are you more likely to see a mural of the IRA painted on the gable wall of a house in the north or south? Get the piont. If unionists find hearing "lizzie in the box" and murals òf the IRA unwelcoming then the NI jurisdiction where they currently live must be very unwelcoming to them.

Post edited by ittakestwo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

has this been verified, wouldn't trust moore holmes, a known loyalist apologist.

He never reports on Orange Order venues which have the same mentality as the KKK, get your own house in order

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

Did you post this in the wrong thread? I fail to see what relevance it has to the GAA.

I think you’ll find I was responding directly to a poster who thought this was an appropriate thread to state that you wouldn’t hear Lizzie in a box being sung in a pub in the south - I was just educating

• Advertisement

Wrong again Votecounts. Here is the Irish news reporting the words of Moore Holmes on the singing about macheala in an orange hall. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hear such clear words from republicans about the celebration songs about our queens passing

“High-profile protocol opponent Moore Holmes also wrote on Twitter that the video was "shameful and disgusting". "It does not represent anything or anyone but the bitterness of those involved in it," he said. "We are familiar with a herd-hate mentality in NI but that video stoops to a new and pitiful low."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

These sectarian incidents are more appropriate to this thread

maybe we can get back on topic and talk about how the GAA needs to step up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Too late downcow. You seem to revel in raising tensions by trying to bring sectarianism into any thread you can.

I'm sick of seeing this from you across so many threads.

This one closed - the next one will be the last one you start in this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement