Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

All car manufacturers did lie, just VW went to the US and the US car companies funded against them as they grew market share, the software was made by Bosch(I think) who supply all car manufacturers, if you google you will find they all done the same

The plan I heard at an event many many years ago by an Irish company and was been supported by Europe at the time, not sure what happened it

European super grid, large wind farms in the North Sea along with solar panel in the med. this would also have other supplies from each country

This combined with smart meter and the plan was to have balanced grid, no more of these peaks and dips…..like they explained in uk that eveyone is watching that Baking show and at break turn on kettle and they have a peak for a min, this is very hard on grid so make it cheaper not to turn on kettle at break etc

Electrci cars would be connected at night to charge but if a peak could have electricity sucked out if connected at office location during work hours etc…..in terms of recycling if you have a couple of million existing wind turbine and you want a replacement I am sure some company can make it, throwing hands up in air and saying they are obsolete shouldn’t happen

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What about, what about… and going backwards are not options that are acceptable to the majority of voters. And that is what it comes down to, politicians do what will get them elected and addressing climate issues is what is required and what will be required for the foreseeable future.

Stamping your feet and shouting what about… what about is kindergarten behavior, so either come up with practical, applicable solutions or expect others to conclude that you are the one exhibiting the behavior you are attributing to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is a stunning post, you seem to be outlining the problem, how it is backed by science, has escalated and yet seem to think nothing should be done or that all of the people involved in this are not acting in good faith?

A really bizarre post. It's 2.24am here, maybe I'll read it tomorrow after I've slept and it will make sense in some way.

People can see the disaster, get told about it, then still complain when the government tries to tackle it.

You have the “diesel till I die crows” etc etc. I would prefer to leave a better world for my kids than the one I came into if possible. Not leave a **** hole that they can’t have a proper life in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Yes, climate change HAS become a religion and religion brings its share of fanatics (XR, Insulate Britain, Thornberg) and a witch hunt of those who don't go along with their "infallible" beliefs.

Yes, OP, gullible is the right description. As proven during Covid the Irish believed every word that came out of the mouth of an egomaniac who ruled the country based on the wildly speculative and totally inaccurate predictions of his snake oil fortune teller going under the grand title of "Chair of the Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group".

The majority of the country will not have experienced long power cuts before.

When their phones are suddenly not working, their Internet idle, no Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter, no Netflix, food decaying in their fridges, no heat, not to mention not being able to even boil a kettle I hope they will finally come to understanding the folly of replacing proven and reliable generating technology by a system that only works when the wind blows.

No human beings have the power to foretell the future, no human beings have the power to stop the forces of Nature - no matter how many diplomas they have, no matter how many letters after their name or whatever grand titles they hold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, this 'pastureland is better for the climate than woodlands' trope has taken off recently. i believe in large part through discounting methane.

Bit of cop on now, if you want to ignore intelligent people all over the world who are predicting this then off you go, you should also ignore teh increase in climate disasters etc

Not sure why you think you should insult the intelligence Irish people because you have a different opinion?

No human beings have the power to foretell the future, no human beings have the power to stop the forces of Nature - no matter how many diplomas they have, no matter how many letters after their name or whatever grand titles they hold.

The increasing life expectancy over the last couple of hundred years, plus the figures of those who have recovered from previously considered terminal illnesses destroys this nonsensical way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wouldnt worry too much about this poster, theyve been posting debunked beliefs about environmental issues since forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That's my biggest fear about Nuclear. I think the actual technology is safer than it has ever been, but I would not trust anyone connected with an Irish Government to build and run it.

It would be millions of billions of trillions of Euro over budget, the bricks would be made from micra and the foundations based on lumps of pyrite ...... all while no one in particular had any specific responsibility for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The reality of that can be seen in wind turbine output on May 1st 2021 when there was little wind anywhere across NorthWest Europe and solar power is irrelevant after sunset (grid balancing needed due to sudden dip in output, that's why they have to put in batteries to smooth out dips until coal and gas plants can be bought online) and for 2 months of the year during Northern hemisphere Winter season (look at Germany) solar is irrelevant. The continental European grid has narrowly avoided serious outages several times last year, it is already stretched and Germany has been shutting down coal and nuclear power. Irish authorities are creating a 500KM interconnector to France to avail of nuclear power. Remember peak demand for electricity happens in Winter and very often we get severe cold fronts hanging over much of Western Europe.

You gave an analogy of the kettle during the ad break, guess what will happen with electric cars (BEV). It takes 30 minutes to fast charge a car, you arrive at a charging station all the chargers are occupied, you wait at minimum 30 minutes or even longer for the people in front of you to charge which means an hour or more hanging around the forecourt. Since most of your travels are commuting, you decide to charge at home, so you arrive home at 6:30 - 7 PM and plug in the car to charge overnight ready for the next day, so does everyone else . . . nope that's not going to happen, that's why we have smart meters to reduce demand.

Remember European governments goals by 2030 are to shift the majority of the population from consuming primary energy sources (oil,gas,coal,turf) to secondary source (electricity) and the same plan is being imposed across European countries who are also phasing out the old coal and nuclear plants so there is no reserve in the system.

• 70% random energy
    • just under ~1 million BEVs
    • ~400,000 heat pumps

This is what needs to happen to avoid future substantial economic disruption due to the lack of electricity.

• An immediate suspension by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) till further notice of Renewable Electricity Support System auction (RESS) auctions. If wind turbine or solar panel operators want to build new sites, let them do so without guaranteed subsidies.
    • An "intermittentcy surcharge" to be imposed on wind and solar power, so that they pay the cost of providing standby power.
    • A rule insisting that all new wind and solar plants include sufficient storage to supply nameplate capacity for, say, one week.
    • Abolition of carbon pricing, which has distorted market mechanisms, and is largely responsible across Europe for the massive rise in energy prices this year.
    • Immediate suspension of moves to electric cars and heat pumps.
    • Abandoning strategic plans which rely heavily on imported power, and replacement with plans which prioritise the provision of sufficient, reliable home grown power.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

this post is a marvelous example of self refuting nonsense

‘no human can forecast the future’

encased in a rant about how people will feel in a future where x happens because of y

You are completely ignoring the issues created by fossil fuel use.

Your argument would have been similar to telling people to continue smoking irrespective of the known consequences just so as to not impact the tax revenue that came from tobacco sales.

Can you answer the following?

• Do you believe there are issues with the use of fossil fuels which will significantly impact the climate and the quality of life of people in the near future?
    • How do you propose to limit this potential impact?

The new narrative? No you should confront and report your a$$hole neighbour

and the fact that your neighbour is killing prostitutes doesn’t make it ok for you to go around kicking dogs

Why are subsidies for renewable energy bad but you never mention the trillions that fossil fuels get in subsidies all the time?

The majority of electric cars will be charged during the night to balance the grid at night, the fast charger during the day can be included in capacity and can be slowly ramped up and down as people with electric cars will tell you, plugging into a 50kWh doesn’t mean you get 50kWh….it will go up and down based on supply but also battery temp etc….for slow charging the cars are all on timers and with a smart meter you could be told what time to start/stop at night and with the new ranges people don’t need to charge every night….they offer cheaper charging even now on a Saturday during the day when requirements are low…..

I am also saying electric cars are not for everyone, in some cases diesel should be the choice, not just the automatic choice for everyone like happened for years

If we fail to act, Climate change will make everything more much expensive. Anything we can do to prevent additional warming will be cheaper in the long run than having to rebuild everything from scratch to try (at no guarantee of success) to adapt to the new rapidly changing climate

government borrowing, by definition affects future tax payers, so we need to weigh up the cost to future citizens of action vs inaction

Yep. Right now a lot of our energy generation capacity is simply wasted. BEVs can tap into this wasted potential for net zero cost to the peak grid demand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The energy crisis in Europe is going to be profound this winter and into the next. I suspect there will be a clamour in various countries for Government’s to step in and put a cap on price increases.

The only way to achieve this will be to suspend carbon taxes. Watch this space I reckon. Probably be floated as a temporary measure.

There is a growing media frenzy over 15-20% increase in consumer energy costs. It’s worth bearing in mind that wholesale prices are up 300% on last year and trending upwards. There are potentially far more severe consumer price increases to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It would be much better for governments to increase carbon taxes and give people a helicopter payment to offset those increases

Carbon taxes are not about generating income, they’re about disincentives for burning carbon

if carbon taxes were projected to be 1000 per capita and the government gave a 1k per capita payment to every family to offset this, many families would spend that money on energy efficiency improvements while almost everyone would also reduce wasteful carbon emissions to avoid the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

absolutely agree, pup payments have more or less proven, giving citizens money directly is far more beneficial to all, in particular the economy itself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Methane form livestock isn't as big an issue as there is a natural methane cycle, there is no no real carbon cycle...

Also what the cows consume is an issue but that is mainly stateside with corn raised cows

If the government fixed the existing seai grant system it might help, at the moment the money just goes into the back pocket of the contractor and the buyer sees no benefit, it’s stupid system

A heat pump costs 2k average but to install into a retrofit Is 10k after the grant, so the contracter is taking something close to 13-15 per installation, f**king crazy

Suspending carbon tax should be ruled out straight away, if money has to be invested then it should be into green initiatives and not just ploughing money into dead technology

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You don’t need to explain carbon taxes to me. I know their intended purpose in terms of reshaping the market.

The reality is there is now a huge imbalance in the European energy market. A perfect storm has brewed whereby demand is way above what was forecast, reliability and availability of renewables is way below what was forecasted and demand for traditional fuel mixes is up - while at the same time facing heavier and heavier taxing.

I suspect we will see large investment in renewables being floated alongside relief on carbon taxes to bridge the gap and close the imbalance in the short term.

The crisis on the electricity grid in Europe is so bad that distributors are finding it increasingly difficult to maintain their target frequencies on their respective networks. That is just totally unheard of. If you think people are angry now, wait until electrical appliances in their homes start being damaged as a result of an unstable grid.

A lot of over reaction here, the world is not going to end, devices are not going to start exploding etc etc

the grid are highly monitored now and the option to shut them down will be taken before that and that is the right option, the wastage of electricity in homes daily is incredible, a couple of cheap smart plugs to switch on/off devices etc would be a decent investment…..solar panel on roofs etc etc

• Advertisement

to think little Ireland can save the world, meanwhile China is opening a dozen coal powered plants in 2021 alone

It's like being told you can't fish from the shore with a rod and line while 5km offshore a ship is hoovering entire shoals from the sea bed.

Advertisement