Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'll still keep on voting Green op

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funny how we could have a then-state of the art hydroelectric scheme when we hadn't two pennies to rub to together but a comparatively super rich Ireland can't build a big project because we're sort of useless at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s exactly it. I said it on another thread in the past few days, the abrupt ending of peat production will easily go down as one of the stupidest decisions ever made by an Irish government.

Unfortunately political parties went with this to appease a few poorly educated people, that think this will save the world, in order to hold onto their votes.

The problem is none of the clowns that are crying out about saving the planet bothered to research where the power for every electrical device they use comes from.

Everyone knows peat production has to end but it should have been phased out over 10 years to allow for an adequate replacement to be developed. Be that wind, water, nuclear, inter-connector to France, whatever it may be.

Instead it was done all of a bang and now the hauliers can’t keep the imported peat drew down the road from the ships sending it in. There’s gas generators that are only supposed to used minimally in times of stress on the grid, that are now running full time. Money Point, the biggest coal burning power plant in the country, is back running 7 days a week burning imported coal after all the workers were given redundancy a year ago as it was supposed to be closing down.

I seriously worry for anyone who hasn’t the intelligence required to realise that the closing down of our own peat burning power plants is doing far more harm than good to both our economy and the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

How can the peat power stations closing be the fault of the Green Party when they were in opposition with only 3 seats at the time it was decided?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

Green policies are ruining the country? I would agree but only because they have consistently failed to address any of the major issues we have.

• Ireland are failing to meet their legally obliged EU carbon commitments and as a result we will be fined.  We have the third highest per capita emissions in the EU.
    • Ireland was also above World Health Organization air quality guidelines at 33 monitoring sites across the country and we have exceeded our national emissions limit for nitrogen oxides since 2010.
    • 85% of our EU protected habitats have an inadequate or a bad status and 20% of Ireland’s breeding bird species are in long-term decline.
    • 47% of our rivers and 50% of our lakes are in bad or poor condition. Over half (56%) of our wastewater load was not compliant with EU treatment standards in 2019. 
    • We are producing more rubbish each year. Recycling rates have stagnated since 2010 and more recently shown a decline.

Our environmental record is nothing short of a disgrace and actually getting worse. And I'm not talking about carbon or greenhouse gases - the air we breath and water we drink is more polluted than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wouldn’t say they are destroying the country as of yet, or maybe never will, but for an issue that I think many people on this island and around the world agree needs to be addressed, they really do a piss poor job of bringing the public along with them. As has been reported there is a warning that the lights may go out this winter which is clearly not a good thing, which is why I wonder why the closure of peat power plants were allowed to be closed when there doesn’t seem to be a back up and should be opened back up if possible, which isn’t an anti green stance, it’s a pro energy stability stance when we haven’t got a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They tend to be big ... So you need a lot of spinning reserve to cover them - ( ie . You always need stations spinning and ready to cover a breakdown on the system -obviously it has to be big enough to cover the biggest single point of failure on the system )

It's eyewateringly expensive -have a look at how much the 2 new stations being built in the uk are going to cost - and that price is index linked - and they get paid the top whack 24/7/365 that they're producing - wether the power is needed or not ....

Decommissioning of nuclear power plants is slow and expensive ... And not really done yet ... They still haven't got long term storage for high level waste in the uk ,

It's very low carbon when you don't include the construction and decommissioning of the stations, the storage of the waste , and the mining and processing of the fuel , ( although in fairness all fuel sources have a carbon cost )

And that's before you get to the " I don't want it anywhere me factor "

I'm actually not against nuclear power (it just doesn't make sense financially ) , and I don't want it anywhere near me ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

You get the government you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

This country is packed full of rabid leftists who wouldn't even let the nuclear option be looked at. Iv'e argued with this lunatics before and if they had their way you'd be cycling 50klms to work and showering once a week on a diet of tofu beans and lettuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I will have to look into it. I would have thought the cost of importing gas/oil+ carbon tax + building and operating plant over lifetime would be greater than importing uranium+building and operating a nuclear power plant and storing waste. I get the huge upfront cost but I presume these modern plants have a very long lifetime.

The fact that Finland and soon Estonia are going in this direction is encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well when you lay it out like that I does show a perception of lack of forward planning and thinking what if which does seem to be a perception of many which in probably unfair but as they say perception becomes reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

absolutely, data centers only currently use about 10% of our overall power created, and provide enormous amounts of employment etc etc, its definitely other stuff thats causing these issues!

errr emmm no actually, our current environmental issues are not hysteria, its actually very likely our environmental issues are in fact worse than whats being reported by official organisations such as the ipcc etc

yup, the greens are incredible short sighted though, as probably all our political entities are, we may not in fact be able to produce a 100% renewable system at all, or quick enough, to fulfill our needs. oh yea, most countries are in a similar situation, so.....

yup, again, our governments are kinna dump with this stuff, effectively providing no alternatives to citizens, which will more than likely lead to people not giving a fcuk, and doing what they have to do, in order to survive, which will more than likely include burning fossil fuels, so....

again, no, these green polices make absolute sense environmentally, but by not providing alternatives, they ll probably be largely ignored

oh and a lot of this is also down to flawed ideologies, and our governments are just not gonna accept this, probably never actually will

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We could do with a Nuclear power station. It would solve all the problems.

Finland ,Estonia and soon to be Poland have a huge stragetic reason for going nuclear -and that reason is a huge supplier of natural gas to Europe ,

The plants should have a very long life , and they need it to be worth while , they can also have a ridiculously long construction and commissioning time - just look at the "new" reactor being built in Finland , just a little late and a little over budget ... https://www.reuters.com/article/finland-nuclear-idUSL8N24I4LH

Incidentally,that article is from 2019 - and the plant is now estimating it'll be ready in 2022... Maybe. ..

The reason that the electricity from hinkley is going to be so expensive is because edf (and it's partners) are bearing all the risk, they're only going to get paid for the electricity produced , and because the risk of it not coming up rosey is pretty high, and the sums being borrowed are huge and for an enormous period of time then it's expensive ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree with you that our environmental record is nothing short of a disgrace.

We were too late to introduce a carbon tax, we have moved too slowly on building offshore wind, we recklessly abolished water charges, we have failed to turn over management of our water resources to Irish Water, we have failed to enforce laws against burning rubbish outdoors, we haven't built public transport quick enough and look at all the delays due to objections, our recycling record is poor, mainly due to Irish people not following the rules, etc. etc.

The data centres are a real red herring. From a global perspective, Ireland is one of the countries best placed to host data centres, due not only to the temperate climate without extremes, but also due to the abundance of untapped wind energy. Yet, that is the issue our pathetic opposition parties are focussed on rather than the tougher choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

On a selfish note, I'm bored with working in finance, I have a degree in theoretical physics, I'd love to retrain and return to Ireland and work on the first Irish nuclear power plant even for massively reduced salary in a junior role. It would be exciting.

Hinkley c is the only site (of 8) that is under construction , and that's 11 years after the uk government announced the scheme,

It's estimated that the 2 reactors at hinkly will cost in excess of 20 billion to build ,

That 20 billion has to be borrowed and paid for by edf - theyll be paying interest payment on that for at least 30 years ...

Basically it's estimated edf will be paid 50 billion MORE than the market rate for the electricity supplied,over the 40 year life of the plant ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

water charges were primarily due to the timing and approach to doing so, revolt was ultimately due to austerity polices, which are currently catastrophically failing, so much so, that many troika members have since agreed so. the most obvious failures have been towards creating and providing critically needed public services and infrastructure, again, all linked to austerity measures. rubbish, an interesting one, again, our modern political ideologies ultimately focuses on the individual, and largely ignores the whole system and processes involved, which has lead to major failures in approaches such as the 'polluter pays', which largely ignores the creators of our goods and services

no data centers are really not red herrings, they cost a fortune to run, provide virtually fcuk all good quality jobs, and to add insult, society as a whole gains virtually fcuk all in regards the overall wealth thats created from their collection of this data, so no, far from red herrings!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

On the data centres, to an extent I agree with you on their usefulness, but if the world is going to have data centres (and try and persuade people to leave the cloud), then Ireland is one of the best locations and one of the greenest locations for them.

• Advertisement

theres no question we need them, our modern economy couldnt function without them but, we really need to get serious about them, theres clearly serious problems in regards energy consumption and wealth distribution from their activities, these urgently need to be addressed, or.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I fear we are in for some very very serious political and social turmoil that will pale in comparison to where we are with this today.

This is just one example of why I think so,

This is behind a paywall but the gist of it is Brazil are set to increase their herd count by 24 million by 2030 while our green policies aim to reduce our number, which I'm sure is already only a fraction of Brazil's numbers. This is just the same kind of thing as the China coal issue. And how many more similar issue's are there?

It's just not going to work.

...but if we continue on a similar path, you can be damn sure it wont work, pointing fingers at other nations, is beyond stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 81,700 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Heard during the week we will have to buy in emergencry generators at a cost of €100 million as back up because wind is unreliable, besides the cost do they think they will run on a bit of clean burning carigeeen moss?

Not allowing an LNG Terminal is insane, by all means put in place a policy of no fracked gas but the terminal is essential to secure supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Your response would have been a lot better if it was actually correct. There's nothing wrong with Aghada. It's WG1 at Glanagow that's out of service according to REMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh and another thing, this insulate Britain crowd have been causing chaos on UK roads in recent days by blocking traffic. This can't go on continually and I often suspected they're going to be a backlash from the general public on these protesters.

And as if by magic just saw this and I think this is going to become more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If we're in a climate emergency why are the greens not screaming for nuclear plants everywhere?

They won't be happy until joe soap is back in the 1800s living in a bothán

always has been, always will be backlash from protests, but i think a growing number of younger folks have had enough at our none movements in regards environmental damage, so yup, expect more of this

Fair enough , I should have said whitegate ... Slip of the tongue 😜, (currently looking at aghada , whitegate is behind me )

And I didn't even know Glanagow was the name of the townland ,

Incidentally if it's Wg1 ,is there a Wg2 ? Or is it just a code to allow for expansion ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The answer to all of those points is the EU and WHO can go and **** themselves

Advertisement